Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cybrtrk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was a really great post in the investor thread a few moments ago:

Do things well enough, and your weird becomes the new normal.
First iPhone didn't look weird, it looked like many other smart phones at the time (think Windows Mobile). What was weird was no copy/paste function which Steve jobs apparently tried to defend until the market set him straight.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tiger
Bring it, Elon! I’m down for one. I don’t care what it looks like.

All those claiming Model 3 ‘cockpit’ was over sold by Elon have VERY short memories. Have forgotten the angst about having no dash display was the end of the world. Have forgotten the proclamations from Mt Everest how looking an inch to the right (or left depending on country) for your speed et al was distracted driving, OMG! That’s so stoopid. Have forgotten every single person’s/reviewer’s/etc first reaction about the minimalism and road view. Have forgotten everyone’s subsequent reaction when they got back into a regular car ‘cockpit’ and went - Damn! All this instrumentation and huge dash is stoopid.
I know people who test drove the Model 3 and said "no thanks", sadly some just an ICE car instead (one got a Mercedes and another picked up a Subaru - the latter liked the Model S but didn't want to spend that much money and Model 3 controls was what killed the deal). What sells Model 3 is the price for EV. People are willing to put-up with it. If you made it a choice at order time, I bet most would pick an instrument cluster in front of them. If Audi had an EV with similar specs and price as Model 3, something tells me they would sell more of them. Time will tell.

Last edited:
I know people who test drove the Model 3 and said "no thanks", sadly some just an ICE car instead (one got a Mercedes and another picked up a Subaru - the latter liked the Model S but didn't want to spend that much money and Model 3 controls was what killed the deal). What sells Model 3 is the price for EV. People are willing to put-up with it. If you made it a choice at order time, I bet most would pick an instrument cluster in front of them. If Audi had an EV with similar specs and price as Model 3, something tells me they would sell more of them. Time will tell.

I know people who didn’t test drive a Model 3 and bought one and will never go back to an ICE car.

There’s no accounting for some peoples’ circle of acquaintances. Usually, though, we associate with like minded people.

Make all the bets and speculation you want. The truth is already out there. Tesla sales increase every day.

Time has already told. People WILL buy CYBRTRK. How many people doesn’t actually matter to Tesla, but it will matter to Ford, GM, Dodge etc...

The OEMs better hope it’s a flop because that’ll give them a bit more time to stay afloat until Tesla does a conventional pickup.

Reactions: EV-Tiger and mongo
@whitex, this button at the bottom of posts allows you to multi-quote messages so that you don't find the need to reply multiple times in quick succession. Just hit it each time you want to quote someone, then when you compose, you use the "Insert Quotes" function and can respond inline.

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 8.34.55 AM.png

Toyota hybrid makes a weird noise when operating on electric. My wife had a rental for a while after her S was in an accident, I found the noise annoying, not to mention it took me a couple of times to realize what was making it (when I first heard it, didn't associate it with a car at all).
Yeah more government regulations! Does anyone know if these sounds are created by a dedicated speaker(s) that could have an unfortunate accident?

Yeah more government regulations! Does anyone know if these sounds are created by a dedicated speaker(s) that could have an unfortunate accident?

second for being interested in that.

it’s so stupid. No car is that loud backing up slowly unless it’s some huge truck or something. Most little sedans are relatively quiet backing up and most of the noise you hear is the tire / pavement noise of the wheels turning and rubber friction on asphalt. I’m really tired of announcing to my neighbors that I’m backing out of my driveway every quiet morning on my street. That stupid whine can be heard inside my house from outside

I know people who didn’t test drive a Model 3 and bought one and will never go back to an ICE car.

There’s no accounting for some peoples’ circle of acquaintances. Usually, though, we associate with like minded people.

Make all the bets and speculation you want. The truth is already out there. Tesla sales increase every day.

Time has already told. People WILL buy CYBRTRK. How many people doesn’t actually matter to Tesla, but it will matter to Ford, GM, Dodge etc...

The OEMs better hope it’s a flop because that’ll give them a bit more time to stay afloat until Tesla does a conventional pickup.
You missed my point, which was that this unconventional design feature didn't help Model 3 sales. Model 3 customer don't want the speedometer in the middle, rather they are willing to put up with it (or "get used to it"). Tesla does sell the Model 3 because of the unconventional UI, they sell it despite of it. Another example of Tesla unconventional Elon innovation - Tesla service model where they stick your car in a parking lot queue for few days while you have to drive an enterprise ICE or Uber, even if the service needed take an hour. You think people prefer this service model? Most people buy Teslas because they are the only solid performing EV option today. Yes, there are some people who buy it to show off (like people who stick a P100D badge on a S60), but they are a small percentage.

Reactions: SalisburySam
Model 3 customer don't want the speedometer in the middle, rather they are willing to put up with it (or "get used to it").
Just like iPhone customers didn't want a touch screen keyboard, they just put up with it? No, many people realized the touch screen keyboard was fine, just as many people realize the center screen in the Model 3 works perfectly well, and is in fact better than looking down through a steering wheel.

Very small percentage of all products out there.

I can think of many pinnacle products that exist that the average person does not or can't obtain.

One would be the Ford GT.

These products exist to make the brand be more unique and different to the masses. Whether or not they can be obtained.

Just think if Yugo had a supercar in the day. They might have been a brand that survived.o_O

I would say no way. Your introducing 4 more failure points with a tremendous amount of torque.. Thats my guess, but jeeps with V8s break axles and gearboxes all the time under heavy loads going 5 mph rock climbing, and you want to add that to a hub? NOPE.
Given that the final gear reduction is happening at the hub, and not the diff, doesn't that imply the axles see less torque load (but higher RPM)?

I'd expect a gear reduction hub casing to be able to handle more torque than an axle that's 3-1/2' long.

Just like iPhone customers didn't want a touch screen keyboard, they just put up with it? No, many people realized the touch screen keyboard was fine, just as many people realize the center screen in the Model 3 works perfectly well, and is in fact better than looking down through a steering wheel.
Just like you think people prefer headphones via the lightening instead of a 3.5mm jack? I haven't met a single person who prefers this iPhone feature, yet all new iPhones only have that feature - it makes Apple money, that's why it's there.

As for looking to the side, I drove a Prius for a week once with the speedo in the middle. While you can get used to it, it's not something customers are asking for. Model 3 just has more compensating features (specifically EV drivetrain).

I can think of many pinnacle products that exist that the average person does not or can't obtain.

One would be the Ford GT.

These products exist to make the brand be more unique and different to the masses. Whether or not they can be obtained.

Just think if Yugo had a supercar in the day. They might have been a brand that survived.o_O
You really think Ford would turn down selling millions of Ford GT's (at the same price they are selling them today)? It would make them the largest and richest company in the world, but instead you think they'd redesign it to make it appeal to less customers, right?

Given that the final gear reduction is happening at the hub, and not the diff, doesn't that imply the axles see less torque load (but higher RPM)?

I'd expect a gear reduction hub casing to be able to handle more torque than an axle that's 3-1/2' long.

The axle would see less torque, but the hub assembly would see more.

In a standard setup, the hub is only a bearing, so zero driver torque is transferred to the assembly (until you hit the brakes). With the reduction drive, there is a torque being reacted (based on the offset of the shaft from the wheel center, I think).

The higher speed would mean the critical speed design of the half shaft is more of a design factor. They will be probably be fairly short though, so not a huge concern (probably).