Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cybrtrk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would say no way. Your introducing 4 more failure points with a tremendous amount of torque.. Thats my guess, but jeeps with V8s break axles and gearboxes all the time under heavy loads going 5 mph rock climbing, and you want to add that to a hub? NOPE.
I Know nothing about crawling, I guess G wagon 4x4 would be laughed out of the door then.
But, not sure Cybertruck would be targeting crawling, towing more likely.

Interesting how Pacer had 2 different sized doors. A smaller one for the driver, that was easy to open and close, and a larger/heavier one for the passenger side that would make it easier to get into the back seat. Pretty creative.

Pacer was a pretty good example of a fuel efficient commuter car.

Reactions: gene
I would say no way. Your introducing 4 more failure points with a tremendous amount of torque.. Thats my guess, but jeeps with V8s break axles and gearboxes all the time under heavy loads going 5 mph rock climbing, and you want to add that to a hub? NOPE.
Portal axles are used in many heavy duty applications. The original H1 military Hummer used them, Bolinger is using them in their EV truck, and some people use them as an upgrade in off road vehicles for better ground clearance.

Sort of like in Back to the Future, but where I'm going there aren't any roads for FSD.. Fun speculating and hoping it could be something that works for me. I need to be able to commute as well as camp and get to remote areas as I'm 2 blocks away from National Forest on one side and BLM on the other with enough trails to keep mild to wild happy. According to Elon it will handle like a 911 I can get ride of the S and the Jeep for the truck. Hopefully its not a 2 year wait..

the missing thing for this in AZ is a Show Low supercharger. The one is Payson is too far from the White Mountains for deep woods exploring.

Doesn’t matter though. I am pre ordering whatever the truck is on Thursday. The Model 3 has been so amazing and I am sure the truck will be too. Preface this with the fact that I had a Hummer H2 for 8 years. So I like weird looking vehicles.

Bob

Isn't this kind of like saying that the fourth smokestack on the Titanic helped it sink? Let's be honest, Pontiac was going down anyway, and it seems hard to know whether the Aztek really had an impact. It's just an unsightly visible reminder of a lot of things they'd gotten wrong, and the aging of a brand.
Absolutely! And that 4th stack was definitely the stack that broke the Titanic’s back as all naval architects will testify, or maybe not. But I agree, Pontiac had lots of issues and we don’t know the Aztec’s contribution specifically. It is however one of the most visible of Pontiac’s mistakes.

• Funny
Reactions: ohmman
I would say no way. Your introducing 4 more failure points with a tremendous amount of torque.. Thats my guess,
but jeeps with V8s break axles and gearboxes all the time under heavy loads going 5 mph rock climbing,
and you want to add that to a hub? NOPE.
Do we know the engine configurations? Would it be Single RWD SR+ , Dual AWD LR, Tri, or Quad electrical motors?

The most probable would be a Dual-Motor and possibly a Tri-Motor, using the "Nurburgring" Model S 100D+ Tri-Motor?

However, a Quad-Motor would allow to integrate a "Portal Axale" and a "Speed Reducer" into a single "Transfer Case".
So the motors could be installed near the wheels house , thus provide a maximum clearance.

Last edited:
Interesting how Pacer had 2 different sized doors. A smaller one for the driver, that was easy to open and close, and a larger/heavier one for the passenger side that would make it easier to get into the back seat. Pretty creative.

Pacer was a pretty good example of a fuel efficient commuter car.
And asking high prices! 1975 AMC Pacer | eBay

Portal axles are used in many heavy duty applications. The original H1 military Hummer used them, Bolinger is using them in their EV truck, and some people use them as an upgrade in off road vehicles for better ground clearance.

Most well known and commonly seen portal axles were VW's "reduction Boxes" on the rear of all VW buses 1967 and earlier. Also 1972 and earlier VW Thing and Kubelwagon.
VW-Bus-gear-reduction.jpg

I am a traditional truck guy, I have owned a pickup since about 1980, first to tow ski boats then for work and boats, I am anxiously waiting for the reveal and hope Tesla makes a 3/4 ton capable truck for towing (like at least 15k tow rating)
Just wait, they will tell you it has a 3/4 ton rating, but not at release time, but don't worry, coming soon via over the air update. Then they will explain how EV tow rating is different than other cars, and that an EV with 3/4 ton capacity is only equivalent to 1/2 ton ICE truck. They did that exact same thing with P85D horsepower (yep, they claim to invent EV horsepower), did similar thing with FSD (where they later redefined what FSD means to be much less capabilities previously included in standard EAP). Elon is good at hype, and this truck is definitely hyped up.

Good thing there will be an electric F-150 (and eventually others) for middle America then. I think Tesla is more than happy to let legacy American auto continue serving the needs of middle America as long as it's electric. Why try to "convert" folks that will be so reticent to do so anyways? The Tesla mission is electrification, not Teslification.

Truth is if there was insane demand immediately for Cybertruck in middle America, it would be a problem for Tesla, because there's no way they could meet it in the next few years with battery supply constraints.
Hmmm.... "Let's design a product to make sure there isn't too much demand". Is this a some new business school of thought? Maybe Elon should have have a secret unveiling, only to people who live in California and signed an NDA, to keep the demand under control. Or maybe he should have insisted that the cabin be size constrained so only people under some height threshold could fit in the driver seat. Pick the height to ensure only an appropriate percentage of people in North America, or the world, could possibly want to drive it. Saying "you must be under 5'6" tall to drive it would easily curb demand. Or go the other way, unless you have long legs you won't reach the pedals, so you must wait until FSD is complete and out of beta before you can buy the truck.

Last edited:
good point -- didn't realize it was regulation

don't have to tell me twice to have animosity towards government

it really is obnoxious. I drove a Lexus before, the engine is pretty damn quiet. when you're backing up at slow speed, the engine is by no means loud. the Tesla ends up being louder than any modern gas car. it's so damn obnoxious and such a strange sound that everyone looks over to see what it is. hate it
Toyota hybrid makes a weird noise when operating on electric. My wife had a rental for a while after her S was in an accident, I found the noise annoying, not to mention it took me a couple of times to realize what was making it (when I first heard it, didn't associate it with a car at all).