Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Deposit Policy for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think he was referring to the actual car you ordered, not just a general test drive. But I cannot think of an example of where you would need to test drive the car before taking acceptance. Even if you found something, they would just due bill it and send you on your way unless it was undriveable.

I just don't buy that many new cars and have never custom ordered one from specs but I am having a hard time believing you can walk away from this without losing your deposit just because you decided you did not want the car anymore. Sure if they pulled one from inventory I can see it. Also if they have to pay to have it shipped from another dealer they would be out that cost too. Only once I heard from a dealer that pulled a car from another location and then had the deal backed out with no charge. It was because the car they got was so hot, it was worth it for the dealer to have it and it did not last more than a few minutes until it was sold to someone else.

I've actually custom ordered my last two cars with deposits made

2013 Audi RS5
2015 Charger Hellcat

Both dealerships assured me that i could walk away from either car at any point...up until signing. They said if the car got there and I didn't like it...no big deal. As long as i'm not ordering yellow on red on green...

they knew that regardless of my taking delivery, they were going to sell the vehicle.

I gotta think tesla has to know that if one of us backed out of an order....and they vehicle was made...they could sell it to the next guy in line.

I've actually custom ordered my last two cars with deposits made

2013 Audi RS5
2015 Charger Hellcat

Both dealerships assured me that i could walk away from either car at any point...up until signing. They said if the car got there and I didn't like it...no big deal. As long as i'm not ordering yellow on red on green...

they knew that regardless of my taking delivery, they were going to sell the vehicle.

I gotta think tesla has to know that if one of us backed out of an order....and they vehicle was made...they could sell it to the next guy in line.

I agree, I buy multiple cars per year and every one of the dealerships I've dealt with will give me back my deposit if the car arrives and I decide I don't want it. But I get it, Tesla is worried about losing the sale and needs to use strict deposit policies like to to keep customers from ditching the car they ordered. Plus, they are one of the few car makers that use deposits to fund their daily operations.

Perhaps the difference in these transactions is that with Tesla you're not buying from a dealership. Can the dealership refuse a car from the manufacturer if they don't like it? This is a genuine question as I don't know the answer.

I agree though that Tesla would very likely be able to sell any cars initial order placers refused, and sell them pretty quickly.