Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Destination Connector Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I normally get 16A because public chargers e.g. Queensland Electric Highway generally only have one phase connected i.e. L1 which will feed one charger circuit at a maximum of 16A (it's 16A per phase but only L1 is provided). If you were more adventurous than I would ever be you could apply that single phase to all three inputs i.e. L1, L2 and L3 which is what the early single phase wall connectors do (but they are hard wired as single phase only so no chance of shorting different phases together). Using an adaptor to short those three inputs together would let you use all 3 charger circuits in a single charger but then if you ever connected that to a true three phase supply there would be a big bang. Don't do that. If someone gets 32A that implies they have the optional second charger that doubles the possible AC current. These remarks apply to my 2015 Model S, the latest cars are different.

• Informative
Reactions: baillies
I normally get 16A because public chargers e.g. Queensland Electric Highway generally only have one phase connected i.e. L1 which will feed one charger circuit at a maximum of 16A (it's 16A per phase but only L1 is provided). If you were more adventurous than I would ever be you could apply that single phase to all three inputs i.e. L1, L2 and L3 which is what the early single phase wall connectors do (but they are hard wired as single phase only so no chance of shorting different phases together). Using an adaptor to short those three inputs together would let you use all 3 charger circuits in a single charger but then if you ever connected that to a true three phase supply there would be a big bang. Don't do that. If someone gets 32A that implies they have the optional second charger that doubles the possible AC current. These remarks apply to my 2015 Model S, the latest cars are different.
I noticed something like that with the J1772 devices. The adaptors from Evnomics get around that by tying L1, L2 and L3 together but if I but a Chinese adaptor, I've got to do the mod myself as they only have L1 tided to L with L2 and L3 floating.

It's really unfortunate Tesla are installing three-phase HPWC at single phase sites (as opposed to their surplus single-phase HPWCs) as this causes the problem as described for the original single-charger Model S

if you ever connected that to a true three phase supply there would be a big bang

Don't wire it up that way. The adapter only needs to connect to L1 on the supply side and to L1+L2+L3 on the car side.

That way even if you're on a three-phase supply there's nothing connected to the 2nd and 3rd supply phases, so there's nothing to go bang.

There's a similar issue with Mennekes/type2 socket charging stations. Perth has a whole bunch of single phase stations for which single-charger cars need a modded cable (from EVNomics) to be able to draw the full 32A.

But if you use that cable on one of the new 3phase type2 charging stations like this one you will still only get 32A single phase (~7.6kW), so you also need a regular type2-type2 cable if you want to be able to charge at 16A three phase (~11.5kW)

It's really unfortunate Tesla are installing three-phase HPWC at single phase sites (as opposed to their surplus single-phase HPWCs) as this causes the problem as described for the original single-charger Model S

Don't wire it up that way. The adapter only needs to connect to L1 on the supply side and to L1+L2+L3 on the car side.

That way even if you're on a three-phase supply there's nothing connected to the 2nd and 3rd supply phases, so there's nothing to go bang.

There's a similar issue with Mennekes/type2 socket charging stations. Perth has a whole bunch of single phase stations for which single-charger cars need a modded cable (from EVNomics) to be able to draw the full 32A.

But if you use that cable on one of the new 3phase type2 charging stations like this one you will still only get 32A single phase (~7.6kW), so you also need a regular type2-type2 cable if you want to be able to charge at 16A three phase (~11.5kW)
I assume you are talking about a type 1 to type 2 adaptor; the Chinese ones are L to L1 with L2 and L3 floating.
The Evnomics one is L to L1+L2+L3.
If you are talking of a different adaptor, which one?
Any idea how I can fix my original problem (post #1)?

I assume you are talking about a type 1 to type 2 adaptor; the Chinese ones are L to L1 with L2 and L3 floating.
The Evnomics one is L to L1+L2+L3.

No I'm talking about a type2-type2 adapter, wired like the EVnomics type1-type2 adapter.

Any idea how I can fix my original problem (post #1)?

You'd need something like the EVNomics type1-type2 adapter, except using a type2 "vehicle inlet"

You can't use the type2-type2 cable I linked earlier because the type2 standard specifically forbids the use of extension leads, so the pins on the male plug are deliberately too short.

Those are for use on type2 socket charging stations (like the ones I linked to in my earlier post) as opposed to the HPWC which is a type2 tethered charging station.

No I'm talking about a type2-type2 adapter, wired like the EVnomics type1-type2 adapter.

You'd need something like the EVNomics type1-type2 adapter, except using a type2 "vehicle inlet"

You can't use the type2-type2 cable I linked earlier because the type2 standard specifically forbids the use of extension leads, so the pins on the male plug are deliberately too short.

Those are for use on type2 socket charging stations (like the ones I linked to in my earlier post) as opposed to the HPWC which is a type2 tethered charging station.
I guess I go lean on Tesla some more.