Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla drops prices on X/S $20k. All colors free. Bye bye resale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean you can reach out to Tesla to see if they'll throw you a bone.

But no there shouldn't be laws against this.

So you're proposing that it should be ILLEGAL for companies to lower prices on their products???
Yes, I'm proposing that it would be illegal or have a reasonable approach where if price drops than within a reasonable 1000 or less and within a month you should get a price match. Like any other purchase you make, if price drops you can easily get a price match.

That's called consumer protection.. A guy like me vs a multi-billion dollar company should be treated differently.
? no, it is not like that. I live in Canada, and a number of people tried to sue house builders on the costs. Of course the market dropped 15-30%, and people who were waiting for their homes tried to get the difference paid back to them. Of course that is not going to work. You signed a contract. The numbers are on the contract. There was nothing wrong with what Tesla just did. Zero. You got burned. No recourse now. Enjoy the purchase.

Yes, I'm proposing that it would be illegal or have a reasonable approach where if price drops than within a reasonable 1000 or less and within a month you should get a price match. Like any other purchase you make, if price drops you can easily get a price match.
This just ensures a series of $999 price reductions over however many months it takes vs. doing it all at once.

You can't legislate a fix for this. Prices change based on demand and plenty of other factors. You win some you lose some. Caveat emptor.

I think people need to judge cars with a perceived value rather than manufacturer suggested $$$. Is this specific car worth this specific $$ to you? If it is, you buy it and enjoy it. For example, when I was buying cars in 22, MYP was going 63K. To me, that specific car was simply not worth the price. For 63K, I could easily get a Porsche Macan. For those who think it is worthy of that price and bought it, don't complain. Now as far as resale, the EV market goes up and down. People in 21 & 22 sell it for more than MSRP. It is just the risk that comes with the new technology.

Reactions: Hank42
Tesla has been doing this since 2014. Nothing new here. In a DTC model, there is no "soft" touch they can take with this. There's a cut off date and they don't apologize for it. Started in 2014 when they announced dual motor and autopilot. No way to feel good about it if you just took delivery of an outdated model or a newly discounted model, but it is what it is. A small percentage of people will feel super burned and "never buy a Tesla again" but they are vastly outnumbered by the huge new customer base that is now able to buy the Model S at 15K less.

A small percentage of people will feel super burned and "never buy a Tesla again" ...
I was feeling super burned last year when we bought our second Y. Big price drop a month or so later.

Fast forward to a few days ago and I was ready to buy a model S. Almost dropped the money for an inventory car. Glad I waited until today.

Interestingly enough the SA was really keen on getting me to buy it; multiple texts etc. Almost like he had visions of an upcoming price drop lol. I know they don't work on commission but I have to wonder.

People complaining about buying consumer goods during an inflationary period and then being upset when prices start coming down is mind boggling.

I have a 2022 Model S bought brand new so I’m in the same boat, but I understood at the time what I was getting myself into when car prices were all jacked to the sky. Brand new non limited edition cars are not investments people.

The point that I think is missed is that I'm never buy a Tesla again, and I'm not alone. They can drop the price to ZERO tomorrow and give them away for free, of course they can do whatever they want, the question is how quickly are they eroding their client base? I was on the fence because their sales staff suck badly, I'm spending $117k on S Plaid and I'm treated like I just walked into walmart. This cannot last, you cannot mistreat your customers and continue to get away with it.

The point that I think is missed is that I'm never buy a Tesla again, and I'm not alone. They can drop the price to ZERO tomorrow and give them away for free, of course they can do whatever they want, the question is how quickly are they eroding their client base? I was on the fence because their sales staff suck badly, I'm spending $117k on S Plaid and I'm treated like I just walked into walmart. This cannot last, you cannot mistreat your customers and continue to get away with it.
You will be much happier at another manufacturer who does the exact same thing via much less transparent methods. You should definitely not buy another Tesla (that's not sarcasm). Some people don't like to know what's actually going on and are much happier for it.

Okay that’s fine. Hope you enjoy your next vehicle purchase much better.

If you think Tesla is going to run out of customers anytime soon, you will be disappointed there too. With every price drop, more come in to the picture.

I have just read this whole thread from start to end. I feel for the people who have "lost". However, new and second hand car prices are set by the people selling them based on how they think can do best. A manufacturer wants to maximise profit and that is combination of profit margin on each car sold and number of cars sold. A private seller, or garage, selling a second hand motor wants to maximise what they get for disposing of their asset. These figures will go up and down in time.
I do not not know whether it is the same in the USA, but in the UK I have a rule of thumb, that whatever car I buy, of whatever age, I expect it to be worth about half that amount three years later. This is very approximate and some cars do slightly better and some slightly worse. For the record I have never bought a brand new car, but looking at prices, in the UK that rule of thumb is still good for a brand new purchase. I (or my wife) have a 9 year old Model S which we bought three years ago. Guess what? If I wanted to sell it tomorrow, it would be worth about half what we paid for it.
To be fair, I don't think that slashing the price of a new Model S has changed the value of our nine year old example. However, in the UK at least, the price of an early Model S has been closely aligned with the price of an early Model 3 for some time. So when Tesla slashed the Price of Model 3's earlier in the year, a slice was wiped off the value of an early Model S as well.
Do I care? No. My wife loves her Model S and has no plans to change it. Happy Wife equals easy life (and vice versa).
As an aside, I work in shipping. In the 2008 credit crunch the value of ships plummeted, both new and second hand. Buyers were desperate to pull out of contracts but unless they could significant deficiencies in what they were buying they were unable to. I do not see a drop in car prices being much different. If you have just bought an S and it has a major fault then reject it. Otherwise enjoy your purchase and try not to think about the ifs and buts of buying it at a slightly different time.

Demand determines prices, I don’t see mistreatment here.
For every customer like you, Tesla will gain 4/5 new customers. So a net positive for them.

Dealers are probably shatting their pants right now...I'm looking at used Plaids on autotrader and their prices are dropping like a rock...bunch of them in the 70s now....
Karma is a bit**!
I will never feel sorry for dealers, especially after the local Audi dealer made it seem like they were doing me a favor charging 30k over MSRP for an etron.

Demand determines prices, I don’t see mistreatment here.
For every customer like you, Tesla will gain 4/5 new customers. So a net positive for them.
There's always a curve to demand/interest/supply. Unless there is a coerced monopoly you cannot treat people like this and people would still voluntarily buy this product. If I can spend $117k now, I sure hope to God I can do same in 2-3yrs for a new car, and Tesla is not going to be on the radar.

I have the first refresh in my state. Delivered June, 2021. Now at 88k miles. Paid $87 (LR, blue, 21") - today it would be approx. $80k new. Trade-in today is $35-40k. Been through lots of tires and a few wiper blades. Love the car - it is a tool and not an investment. Not crying over the lost value - did not buy it for resale. I will buy a new one when I need it and pay the current market price.

I will never feel sorry for dealers, especially after the local Audi dealer made it seem like they were doing me a favor charging 30k over MSRP for an etron.

Tesla isn't really any better. They jacked up prices last year which is similar to adding dealer markups. The difference is Tesla owns its dealerships while franchised dealers are largely independently owned.

Tesla has now essentially removed those markups (and more). The starting price of an MS Plaid at the beginning of the year was $137,440 and is now only $91,630. A drop of over $45,000 or 33% in just nine months! 😲