Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla drops prices on X/S $20k. All colors free. Bye bye resale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think since Tesla doesn't do the usual ads on TV n such, not many ppl scout websites/twitter/forums for news...
It'll take some time for used market to realize why the cars aren't selling
Plus there will always be few buyers that don't pay attention n still continue to buy overpriced used cars so that time might get extended..

Same thing is happening on salvage auctions... Some still bid to 15-20k for wrecked model 3...
The competition has arrived and wants Tesla’s breakfast, lunch, and dinner! Elon knows that, hence price seesawing, whether they are strategic or not, model refreshes, minor improvements, etc.

Tesla will attend the Detroit Auto Show for the first time in 8 years: Detroit Auto Show Announces Exciting Lineup of 35 Vehicle Brands, Featuring Mainstream Nameplates, Luxury Marques and Exotic Supercars – North American International Detroit Auto Show

I've been looking for a 2020 or pre-refresh 2021 S and it's interesting that so far, the price of used Teslas hasn't really reflected the drop in new prices. There are still a lot of 2022 cars asking more than the current new price. I guess the sellers are hoping no one has noticed.
I called a few dealers looking to get a 22 S for around 65k. They are clueless on the price drop and don't seem to care. Kept telling me they paid more than 75k for the car. They need to get religion fast.

I called a few dealers looking to get a 22 S for around 65k. They are clueless on the price drop and don't seem to care. Kept telling me they paid more than 75k for the car. They need to get religion fast.
Very curious how long it will take for used prices to drop. I'm assuming they have to, unless they think Tesla is bluffing and will bring prices back up soon.

I'm checking inventories every day now haha.

Very curious how long it will take for used prices to drop. I'm assuming they have to, unless they think Tesla is bluffing and will bring prices back up soon.

I'm checking inventories every day now haha.
Even Tesla hasn't updated the pricing on their used Inventory. You can get a 21' Plaid for $93,200 or step up to a 2023 Plaid with 578 miles for $103,900 and a $2,500 transport fee. Hopefully in the coming weeks, we may even see 2023 inventory cars at lower prices than the new build.

IDK....I don't mind if dealers go to hell.
I don't either but they are keeping me from buying a car I want. It's so pointless arguing with them. I explained to them in detail that they are asking over MSRP for a 2 year old car with 10k miles and how stupid that is. Oh well. Telsa's own website does not yet reflect the market adjustments either. So bizarre.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot and AMPd
Well let’s see…what are typical price variances between bmw 3 series and 5, between Audi a4 and A6/S7, between C class and E550/E63?

Willing to bet Tesla price variance between the 3 models and S models are now priced industry standard in terms of % diff based upon trim levels. Maybe a bit more reduction in S sure but premium is premium. You pay more for higher end than would be equated value for frills and goodies. Ie. White interior upgrade $ in a 3 is way less than white int in the S. Tire/Rim upgrades far less in a 3 than an S, paint colour upgrade $ in a 3 about half the price to the S…is it half the surface area? Nope.

Falling prices on Teslas has more to do with price competition and what demand is dictating Vs sales numbers. Also production costs becoming more efficient and R&D costs finally being reached on newer techs (Ie. Carbon sleeve motors, adaptive susp, retooling costs on production line) will result in lower margins required in subsequent sales. As the S matures with its current cast/manuf line, production costs have no choice but to drop …also due to economies of scale as sales ramp.

Eventually yes…the S could even hit 70k at current design. But at some point they will introduce the next 2.0 design and here’s we go again recovering costs on developing and producing all new…back up to 90k.

Last edited:
Honest question, but with the new Model 3, how much further can Model S prices fall? Is 75k "safe"? I'd like to think so, but I'd also not like to be wrong.
I think there's a little more left to squeeze if they have to, but not much. I don't think they can drop the price much more and still maintain any sort of reasonable margin. At that point, discontinuation or massive investment in a truly updated product are really the only choices left.

I've stemmed the depreciation bleeding a bit by selling all shares of TSLA just now.

Only 20k of realized gains for the year, every bit helps though. Who knows what 2024 will bring.

No regrets. I did not know Elon was crazy when I got into this ecosystem 5 years ago.

Reactions: Nickos
I've stemmed the depreciation bleeding a bit by selling all shares of TSLA just now.

Only 20k of realized gains for the year, every bit helps though. Who knows what 2024 will bring.

No regrets. I did not know Elon was crazy when I got into this ecosystem 5 years ago.
Nah, he’s not crazy, he’s just super rich and has a teenagers sense of humor.
I’d be trolling everyone as well if I were as rich as him.. and I’m certainly not crazy, …according to the voices in my head.