Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla - Equity Resiliency - SCE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I am an SCE (SoCal Edison) customer with Medical Baseline allowance and in Extreme High Fire zone. I received Equity Resiliency approval few weeks ago which was applied by a local SGIP-approved installer. But the installer got back to me saying he does not have Powerwall availability for 6 months at least. So I checked with Tesla and they advised they can take up the Powerwall reservation. I added solar panels to it too to make it a Solar + Battery backup project. My question is would Tesla be able to actually install all and provide me full rebate on Batteries using Equity Resiliency? If you see any issue, please feel free to message back.

Thanks in advance.

Hello All,

I am an SCE (SoCal Edison) customer with Medical Baseline allowance and in Extreme High Fire zone. I received Equity Resiliency approval few weeks ago which was applied by a local SGIP-approved installer. But the installer got back to me saying he does not have Powerwall availability for 6 months at least. So I checked with Tesla and they advised they can take up the Powerwall reservation. I added solar panels to it too to make it a Solar + Battery backup project. My question is would Tesla be able to actually install all and provide me full rebate on Batteries using Equity Resiliency? If you see any issue, please feel free to message back.

Thanks in advance.
I got a Equity Resiliency incentive for 2 Powerwalls through Tesla. I already had solar and I have PG&E. I probably was one of the first to get the incentive through Tesla and the process was a little rough. Hopefully they are doing better now.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Hello All,

Thanks in advance.
If Tesla says that they can take over the SGIP application and get you the funds, I would get it in writing before committing to their project. I would also get a guarantee that if the SGIP funds aren't awarded, that they will make up the difference. I can see more than a few ways that this change over could backfire.

As far as I am aware transferring SGIP installers isn't possible, but there have been more than a few changes to SGIP in the last year.

Personally, I think that you owe your third party for getting you the SGIP funds.

Reactions: Vines and h2ofun
If Tesla says that they can take over the SGIP application and get you the funds, I would get it in writing before committing to their project. I would also get a guarantee that if the SGIP funds aren't awarded, that they will make up the difference. I can see more than a few ways that this change over could backfire.

As far as I am aware transferring SGIP installers isn't possible, but there have been more than a few changes to SGIP in the last year.

Personally, I think that you owe your third party for getting you the SGIP funds.
Thanks for your response. This helps.
I also agree with your personal point of view. The decision was mutual, the third party says they are not expecting Powerwalls in the near future.

I got a Equity Resiliency incentive for 2 Powerwalls through Tesla. I already had solar and I have PG&E. I probably was one of the first to get the incentive through Tesla and the process was a little rough. Hopefully they are doing better now.
Thanks for your response.
Did Tesla file all paperwork for you? My only concern is the change of installer to get the Powerwalls. On the approval letter, it does not state the name of installer but I still want to be sure it is allowed.

Did Tesla file all paperwork for you? My only concern is the change of installer to get the Powerwalls. On the approval letter, it does not state the name of installer but I still want to be sure it is allowed.

I am not familiar with equity and resiliency SGIP, but regular SGIP had developer caps, etc. Before you commit to anything, you certainly want to get some sort of assurance that the large amount you are expecting will actually be available, even if you transfer to another installer.

Tesla isnt "the best" when it comes to paperwork, and it would absolutely suck to be told "oops we messed up, our bad ;) " by tesla, if you do this. If I was in your shoes and even considering attempting to swap from a third party installer who had gotten me approved for equity and resiliency monies, I would want all sorts of things, in writing from tesla, from someone with authority to write those things.

I like a lot about Tesla, but paperwork (or timely submissions) has not, and does not appear now, to be their "strong suit", and these submissions are basically ALL paperwork, much of it challenging.

Reactions: BGbreeder
Yes, Tesla did all of the paperwork for me. I wound up doing the rate change with PG&E since no one else seemed to be doing it and I didn't want that to muck things up (the rate change may not be necessary for you).

There is no developer cap with the Equity Resiliency program (at least there wasn't when I did it).

The developer's name is on the SGIP application and the developers are the ones that submit information through the SGIP portal. So the process will need to be changed to Tesla's responsibility. I'd call or email your SGIP representative directly to make sure they agree that the developer can be switched without submitting a new application. The PG&E SGIP representative never answered the phone or returned calls, and their email response turnaround was 2-3 weeks. In your situation you'll probably really need to monitor the progress with Tesla to make sure things don't fall through the cracks.

Yes, Tesla did all of the paperwork for me. I wound up doing the rate change with PG&E since no one else seemed to be doing it and I didn't want that to muck things up (the rate change may not be necessary for you).

There is no developer cap with the Equity Resiliency program (at least there wasn't when I did it).

The developer's name is on the SGIP application and the developers are the ones that submit information through the SGIP portal. So the process will need to be changed to Tesla's responsibility. I'd call or email your SGIP representative directly to make sure they agree that the developer can be switched without submitting a new application. The PG&E SGIP representative never answered the phone or returned calls, and their email response turnaround was 2-3 weeks. In your situation you'll probably really need to monitor the progress with Tesla to make sure things don't fall through the cracks.
Thanks RKCRLR.
The rate change will be necessary for me too as I am on Tiered plan. At point, do we need to change the plan?
Also, I checked with SGIP folks to see who is the current Developer on my Project and came to know it is still the earlier developer. I have mailed the former developer to permit a change to Tesla. Hoping for a favorable response.

Thanks RKCRLR.
The rate change will be necessary for me too as I am on Tiered plan. At point, do we need to change the plan?
Also, I checked with SGIP folks to see who is the current Developer on my Project and came to know it is still the earlier developer. I have mailed the former developer to permit a change to Tesla. Hoping for a favorable response.
Its unclear to me who is responsible for changing the rate plan. Tesla made me sign a document authorizing them to interface with PG&E in my behalf. The PG&E SGIP people may have switched rate plans at some point. However, I was never able to get a straight answer how it works so I just did it.

Good luck with the SGIP switchover.

Its unclear to me who is responsible for changing the rate plan. Tesla made me sign a document authorizing them to interface with PG&E in my behalf. The PG&E SGIP people may have switched rate plans at some point. However, I was never able to get a straight answer how it works so I just did it.

Good luck with the SGIP switchover.
My installer told me it was up to me to change my rate plan with PGE

For reference, I applied for the SCE SGIP Equity Resiliency Rebate in August last year. It took me until late November 2020 to get it approved (largely due to incompetence and unresponsiveness on the part of the installer who was applying on my behalf). The first install date for the batteries was to be early February '21 (6 months after I signed up) however the installer showed up with wrong electrical permit, so I sent the batteries back and told them to call me when they'd fixed the permit. The permit took about 2-3 weeks to fix, but as my reward/punishment for sending everything back, I wasn't able to get the batteries re-delivered and installed until early June (4 months after the planned install date). On the plus side, the delay meant I received batteries made in May 2021 with 13.5 KWh storage capacity instead of the 13.2 that were available in Aug 2020 when I first applied. I'm now waiting on SCE's approval of the PTO application following which we can then proceed to the last stage to apply for the rebate funds. Although if the rest of the project goes like the prior stages, I'll probably discover that the installer has emailed Edison a PDF of their shopping list instead of the documents actually required for a PTO application, and won't actually know this for another 6 weeks. I get the sense I'll be writing to the SGIP coordinator at SCE to ask for an extension to the 12 month expiration date of my SGIP funds approval if this happens, since it is now only about 3 months away and I frankly wouldn't trust the installer to sit on a toilet the right way around......

For reference, I applied for the SCE SGIP Equity Resiliency Rebate in August last year. It took me until late November 2020 to get it approved (largely due to incompetence and unresponsiveness on the part of the installer who was applying on my behalf). The first install date for the batteries was to be early February '21 (6 months after I signed up) however the installer showed up with wrong electrical permit, so I sent the batteries back and told them to call me when they'd fixed the permit. The permit took about 2-3 weeks to fix, but as my reward/punishment for sending everything back, I wasn't able to get the batteries re-delivered and installed until early June (4 months after the planned install date). On the plus side, the delay meant I received batteries made in May 2021 with 13.5 KWh storage capacity instead of the 13.2 that were available in Aug 2020 when I first applied. I'm now waiting on SCE's approval of the PTO application following which we can then proceed to the last stage to apply for the rebate funds. Although if the rest of the project goes like the prior stages, I'll probably discover that the installer has emailed Edison a PDF of their shopping list instead of the documents actually required for a PTO application, and won't actually know this for another 6 weeks. I get the sense I'll be writing to the SGIP coordinator at SCE to ask for an extension to the 12 month expiration date of my SGIP funds approval if this happens, since it is now only about 3 months away and I frankly wouldn't trust the installer to sit on a toilet the right way around......
What change in storage capacity?

What change in storage capacity?
I suspect the installer is wrong as the PW2 have always been 13.5 kWh useable capacity. I just checked the oldest datasheet I had from 2017, and it indicates this capacity is based on 3.3 kW discharge rate (about 0.25C) it also indicates 14 kWh capacity.

The most recent datasheet indicates that there are 14 kWh but still 13.5 kWh useable at the 3.3 kW discharge rate.

It sounds like someone was just incorrect as to the paperwork.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I suspect the installer is wrong as the PW2 have always been 13.5 kWh useable capacity. I just checked the oldest datasheet I had from 2017, and it indicates this capacity is based on 3.3 kW discharge rate (about 0.25C) it also indicates 14 kWh capacity.

The most recent datasheet indicates that there are 14 kWh but still 13.5 kWh useable at the 3.3 kW discharge rate.

When the installer submitted the SGIP application on our behalf back in August last year, they listed the storage capacity of both batteries as 26.4KWh (13.2KWh/battery). So basically SCE's SGIP rebate is $1,000/KWh or $26,400 when the rebate should be $27,000. Yet another feather in the cap of our installer whom I have dubbed 'Petersen Dean V2.0"......
SGIP application August 2020.jpg

Yep, thanks

When the installer submitted the SGIP application on our behalf back in August last year, they listed the storage capacity of both batteries as 26.4KWh (13.2KWh/battery). So basically SCE's SGIP rebate is $1,000/KWh or $26,400 when the rebate should be $27,000. Yet another feather in the cap of our installer whom I have dubbed 'Petersen Dean V2.0"......View attachment 697713
SGIP considered my Powerwall 2s as having 13.2 kWh of storage even though all of the Tesla documentation showed 13.5 kWh. However, I believe the 13.2 kWh rating is actually listed on the data plates on my Powerwalls. It may have something to do with how low the Tesla software will allow the Powrwalls to be drawn down during normal use.

SGIP considered my Powerwall 2s as having 13.2 kWh of storage even though all of the Tesla documentation showed 13.5 kWh. However, I believe the 13.2 kWh rating is actually listed on the data plates on my Powerwalls. It may have something to do with how low the Tesla software will allow the Powrwalls to be drawn down during normal use.
Same here.