Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Place your order, and there are like 5 stages (delivery location, registration details, insurance details, payment, etc...). you won't get matched to a vehicle until almost all of them are completed (maybe even all of them, not sure about payment).

Just don't complete any of the details. Just submit your $100 deposit and then sit on the order. you'll get an order confirmation showing the pricing you locked in.
Ah okay, thanks! That's simple enough. And to your point, at some point an SA might contact to ask if you want to go ahead at which point you just explain you are waiting a little while to finish the registration process? Do you know what happens when you decide to go ahead and finish all your details? Are you still at the back of the line similar to if you had started a new order at that point in time or are you "ahead" in the process somehow? I suppose at the very least this should allow locking in the current price if prices do go up by a bit if tax-credits look likely?

Ah okay, thanks! That's simple enough. And to your point, at some point an SA might contact to ask if you want to go ahead at which point you just explain you are waiting a little while to finish the registration process? Do you know what happens when you decide to go ahead and finish all your details? Are you still at the back of the line similar to if you had started a new order at that point in time or are you "ahead" in the process somehow? I suppose at the very least this should allow locking in the current price if prices do go up by a bit if tax-credits look likely?
I would just say you are not ready yet (travel plans, or whatever). They shouldn't put too much pressure on for the first 9-12 months.

From a line perspective, I think you are placed in queue once your order is finalized and all of the "steps" are completed. So you don't cut to the front of the line, and I would expect the typical 1-10 week wait. Your pricing however is locked in so long as you don't make any changes to your configuration, that is the main benefit.

Reactions: orion2001
cross your fingers that they make the rebate retroactive to vehicles purchased after 12/31/20 as one bill draft has
That would be amazing if it passes, I'd be thrilled. I just got my Model Y Standard Range a month ago. I knew there was a good chance of rebates coming back but went ahead because I'd gotten in just in time for the Model Y Standard Range. If I were to wait for the rebate I'd have to order a LR for $10,000 more. So if I end up getting the rebate that'll be awesome.

Place your order, and there are like 5 stages (delivery location, registration details, insurance details, payment, etc...). You won't get matched to a vehicle until almost all of them are completed (maybe even all of them, not sure about payment).

Just don't complete any of the details. Just submit your $100 deposit and then sit on the order. you'll get an order confirmation showing the pricing you locked in.
They require you to insure the vehicle days before you pick up the vehicle or days before you even knkw when you will pick it up? When do you learn who your service advisor is?

There is zero, less than zero chance of this incentive passing Congress.

"They require you to insure the vehicle days before you pick up the vehicle or days before you even know when you will pick it up? When do you learn who your service advisor is?"

You are provided a delivery window (mandatory acceptance window of three days), and you pick the actual date and time and you must fill in the insurance binder info, which you make effective as of the delivery date (every insurance company will do this - you just provide the VIN, which Tesla will have given you.). You are never given a service advisor name by Tesla, ever.

I would just say you are not ready yet (travel plans, or whatever). They shouldn't put too much pressure on for the first 9-12 months.

From a line perspective, I think you are placed in queue once your order is finalized and all of the "steps" are completed. So you don't cut to the front of the line, and I would expect the typical 1-10 week wait. Your pricing however is locked in so long as you don't make any changes to your configuration, that is the main benefit.
Tesla told me they can only delay for 3 months from original deposit/order date.

Reactions: CRL7
They require you to insure the vehicle days before you pick up the vehicle or days before you even knkw when you will pick it up? When do you learn who your service advisor is?
I asked to do a test drive. Upon scheduling my test drive a Tesla Advisor has been assigned to me ever since. I went to a local showroom and he was there for the test drive. He has since brought a MY over for a garage fit, talked me through the ordering process. Has told me how to put a hold on the order post initial VIN assignment. He has been very casual and makes it seem like no big deal if I want the car in May 2021 or September 2021. Not sure how much further past 3-4 months after that initial VIN assignment he'll go, but remember they don't make commission, so they are just trying to keep you happy with the whole process.

"They require you to insure the vehicle days before you pick up the vehicle or days before you even know when you will pick it up? When do you learn who your service advisor is?"

You are provided a delivery window (mandatory acceptance window of three days), and you pick the actual date and time and you must fill in the insurance binder info, which you make effective as of the delivery date (every insurance company will do this - you just provide the VIN, which Tesla will have given you.). You are never given a service advisor name by Tesla, ever.
I think the point is the goal is 'some type of incentive.' The proposed amounts of course will drop but something is more than nothing

I asked to do a test drive. Upon scheduling my test drive a Tesla Advisor has been assigned to me ever since. I went to a local showroom and he was there for the test drive. He has since brought a MY over for a garage fit, talked me through the ordering process. Has told me how to put a hold on the order post initial VIN assignment. He has been very casual and make it seem like no big deal if I want the car in May 2021 or September 2021. Not sure how much further past 3-4 months after that initial VIN assignment he'll go, but remember they don't make commission, so they are just trying to keep you happy with the whole process.
Tesla told me they would have someone contact me (twice, i test drove a vehicle twice two weeks apart) and then the online chat said someone would reach out. Has not happened yet... any chance i can contact someones SA lol

That hasn't been my take on it. In general, EV/Solar type policies have had fairly bipartisan support and both parties are likely to support aiding American auto companies by spurring the economy on that front. There is currently talk of a smaller bipartisan infrastructure plan and if that were to happen, I think there is a better chance of the EV related policies to make the cut (dollar amounts will probably change). Alternatively, so far it does look like most of the infrastructure plan can still be passed via reconciliation. Not that I think it is a given, but it does seem like there is a reasonable chance something may happen by the end of this year.

Not sure which bill the EV tax credits may fall into, but let's hope for the 2nd half!

Biden to Republicans: Show me your infrastructure plan

"Splitting the bill: ...to split the American Jobs Plan into two bills, with one designed to get bipartisan support while the second would pass with only Democratic votes."

"What’s next: Democrats in the House and Senate are both expected to release infrastructure bills next month [May]."
Looks like the outline for the Republican plan has been released. Not good for electric vehicles. Nothing about an EV incentive. Actually, quite the opposite. Hopefully a compromise can be made:

“...investments would be fully funded, potentially through policies including user fees on electric vehicles...”

I also think there is a very high likelihood of something passing this year. Keep in mind that we already have a generous EV incentive. It just doesn’t cover Tesla and GM right now. It is stupid for us to give incentives to all of these foreign brands and thus give them an advantage over our domestic manufacturers.

Reactions: JBT66 and vickh
If you don't mind my asking, could you explain exactly how this works? I've tried searching the forums here but I am still hazy on this, but I am strongly considering placing an order now and postponing things till there is clarity on the infrastructure bill. So if I place an order now and fill in whatever initial info they need on my profile, what do I need to do after that to avoid taking delivery prematurely? Do I wait till a VIN is assigned and then ask the SA to change things? Do I talk to someone preemptively? I'd really appreciate any inputs on how to go about this if I do place an order to avoid any potential confusion and/or waste anyone's time in the process.

For us, we tried to take delivery. But the car was clearly assembled by toddlers and had multiple paint defects that were going to require significant sections of the car to be repainted. NOPE

So when we left empty handed I asked to be put back in the cue but asked to add a hitch. Then about a week later we found a house that we liked and we wanted to look at making the jump before adding on an expensive car payment. So I called, or maybe emailed, my sales associate (or whatever they call themselves) and asked that our order be placed on hold until 01/01/2021. I figured it would go ahead and process on or after that date but it never did, which is fine. We are excited to get a Tesla but don't mind waiting a bit longer.

All I worry about is the rebate lowering my resell. I went ahead and ordered mine because my Lease is ending and we need a car to drive. The lease has low mileage because of covid, so I could have bought it out, but then each passing month would be a little bit of a loss. In the end I decided to say whatever, we'll see what happens. Maybe if it happens next year and we love this car I will add a 3 to the family with a big rebate.

All I worry about is the rebate lowering my resell. I went ahead and ordered mine because my Lease is ending and we need a car to drive. The lease has low mileage because of covid, so I could have bought it out, but then each passing month would be a little bit of a loss. In the end I decided to say whatever, we'll see what happens. Maybe if it happens next year and we love this car I will add a 3 to the family with a big rebate.
I am thinking as soon as the credit rebate comes in. I will turn in my model y and get another one. But who knows how the residual will be thanks to the credit.

Also prices are going up on tesla's including other MFG's thanks to the supply chain and rapid inflation. It may end up being that its better to buy now than later.

also if the legislation passes. Usually the law changes for the Tax year not the month the law passed. So we might have a chance on getting the tax credit if it passes this year for example.

I am thinking as soon as the credit rebate comes in. I will turn in my model y and get another one. But who knows how the residual will be thanks to the credit.

Also prices are going up on tesla's including other MFG's thanks to the supply chain and rapid inflation. It may end up being that its better to buy now than later.

also if the legislation passes. Usually the law changes for the Tax year not the month the law passed. So we might have a chance on getting the tax credit if it passes this year for example.
For sure. I feel like if I had a bit more flexibility I could go to 1 car but we can't so , in the end , it will just be more hassle and potentially more money to wait around. I also think that the 7500 is a shoot high number that will probably be brought down a little too. I can see the moderate dems like Machin making that a sticking point. I mean who knows though!

For sure. I feel like if I had a bit more flexibility I could go to 1 car but we can't so , in the end , it will just be more hassle and potentially more money to wait around. I also think that the 7500 is a shoot high number that will probably be brought down a little too. I can see the moderate dems like Machin making that a sticking point. I mean who knows though!
thats the problem. We don't know what is going to happen or even if the law will pass. To many variables to say the least it could be that it never gets passed as well or to get bipartisanship they change the credit amount. All I know is that our politicians take WAY to long to make decisions and get things passed. Its death by committee unfortunately :|

From all accounts, it looks like if this ends up passing (and that is still a big if), it will likely be a point-of-sale rebate for direct price reduction on the MSRP as opposed to a tax credit. I think the main idea being that this is more beneficial to folks who wouldn't otherwise be able to afford a higher priced EV if they have to foot the higher bill upfront and wait for a tax credit a year later. If that does happen though, it will almost certainly be applicable only for future sales and not be applied retroactively.

Reactions: imola.zhp