Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla + EZPass = uglified. Need ideas!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Word of warning with EZPass (NY/NJ).. use black tape or water based paint. Years ago I spray painted two EZPass tags... and when I had to send them back to be replaced with the smaller, newer versions, they dinged me a $35/each "defacement" fee for painting the tags. They were still totally operational, and they obviously weren't going to be reused (they were being phased out), so it was just a greedy money grab which I tried to fight, but got nowhere fast.

Word of warning with EZPass (NY/NJ).. use black tape or water based paint. Years ago I spray painted two EZPass tags... and when I had to send them back to be replaced with the smaller, newer versions, they dinged me a $35/each "defacement" fee for painting the tags. They were still totally operational, and they obviously weren't going to be reused (they were being phased out), so it was just a greedy money grab which I tried to fight, but got nowhere fast.
I used plastidip on my tags so I can peel off the paint if I ever have to return it.

Just bought some Rustoleum FlexiDip. Will post pics when done.

I just did this! I have to do some touch up on the pass, and the paint isn't an exact match to the "gunmetal" gray of the back on the screen, but I think it's better than white and up near the mirror.

John

Attachments

• Front 1.jpg
    Front 1.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 302
Y’all sure are backwards up on the east coast. In Texas we have a very small sticker with a RFID chip that goes inside the windshield by the rear view mirror.
https://www.txtag.org/en/about/basics_installing.shtml
Downside is that there isn't really any camouflaging that white rectangle on the windshield. At least that I know of? Maybe you could permanent marker the adhesive before sticking it on but not sure how that'd work out?

P.S. I've never seen anyone do it but I expect you'd be able to stick it to a stiff plastic card if for some reason you wanted it as a temporary thing. I did that for our HOA gate, which uses them. I peeled it off a car I was trading in and stuck it to a laminated card I had laying around. I carry it and use it for opening the gate when on a golf cart a bicycle.

Downside is that there isn't really any camouflaging that white rectangle on the windshield. At least that I know of? Maybe you could permanent marker the adhesive before sticking it on but not sure how that'd work out?

P.S. I've never seen anyone do it but I expect you'd be able to stick it to a stiff plastic card if for some reason you wanted it as a temporary thing. I did that for our HOA gate, which uses them. I peeled it off a car I was trading in and stuck it to a laminated card I had laying around. I carry it and use it for opening the gate when on a golf cart a bicycle.
Did you see my pics above?

Does anyone know if holding the EZ Pass up or leaving it in the center console works? I've seen sporadic cases across the web of it working and really seems like a "your mileage may vary" situations.

I doubt it would work all the way down in the center console. I had issues with it reading properly even mounted in certain spots on my windshield.

In TX we have EZ-tag stickers. They're really compact so I doubt they'd be seen from inside, certainly not from the driver's seat. But you sort of see them from the outside stuck against the window, though you can get them up nice and over what's usually the tint line.

Ah - gotcha. In VA we also have mandatory inspection stickers, that seem bigger than the EZ-tags. One would think they could just build all this into the license plate renewal stickers...

Reactions: ℬête Noire