Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Failed to Send in my Registration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi, i'm in CA as well. Call your local sales center (i did everything online - delivered to home, but found out Buena Park handled the paperwork/delivery) and ask to speak with a Registration Associate. They'll be able to see that 1) FedEx envelope was received and paperwork was uploaded and 2) Registration has been sent to DMV. I was given an estimate of 6-8 weeks. Only time will tell...
I got my tesla 10/2/21 and still haven't gotten my license plate. Just today I got a letter from DMV with the incomplete registration. I will call tesla local sales center and see. Do you have any other tips for me to resolve this?

Traded in my car, Tesla kept the plates on it and sold it to a used car dealership. The dealership then sold or drove the car to San Francisco and drove through the tolls without paying (tags were also expired). I received several ticket notices in the mail, since Tesla didn't transfer the registration out of my name. I have since made sure to inform the DMV that the registration is in Tesla's name (since August), so we shall see how they like getting those tickets. (BTW, the used care dealership is in Modesto and was sold by the Tesla Fresno car care center.)
That's some shady sh#t by Tesla and the used car dealership. Those plates should have never been left on the car, much less expired tags.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Traded in my car, Tesla kept the plates on it and sold it to a used car dealership. The dealership then sold or drove the car to San Francisco and drove through the tolls without paying (tags were also expired). I received several ticket notices in the mail, since Tesla didn't transfer the registration out of my name. I have since made sure to inform the DMV that the registration is in Tesla's name (since August), so we shall see how they like getting those tickets. (BTW, the used care dealership is in Modesto and was sold by the Tesla Fresno car care center.)
That's some shady sh#t by Tesla and the used car dealership. Those plates should have never been left on the car, much less expired tags.

I've had similar happen where I forgot to tell Fastrak when I sold a car and had several toll charges for a car I no longer owned show up in my account. Now removing a car from my toll account is part of my selling-a-car checklist.

But you're in CA, correct? In California, unlike many other states, plates always remain with the car. So your old plates are supposed to stay on the car even when sold to someone else I think. The only exceptions I'm aware of are personalized plates.

I've had similar happen where I forgot to tell Fastrak when I sold a car and had several toll charges for a car I no longer owned show up in my account. Now removing a car from my toll account is part of my selling-a-car checklist.

But you're in CA, correct? In California, unlike many other states, plates always remain with the car. So your old plates are supposed to stay on the car even when sold to someone else I think. The only exceptions I'm aware of are personalized plates.
I'm in California, yes. I'm prior military (24 years and my entire adult life), so had never dealt with California until 5 years ago. I had bought and traded in several cars through Toyota after retirement from the military and became a California resident, and never had an issue (likely because Toyota resold them on their own lot and took care of the plates).
This was the first car I had traded in that wasn't through Toyota and the first time I've had an issue. But, with expired tags, you'd think they wouldn't be able to sell the car? And I thought dealerships were supposed to update cars they buy from individuals with the DMV? Maybe California is different, but it's new to me if that is not the case.
Either way, lesson learned on my part. I've taken care of it, so whomever the a#$ is that was using my plates to drive through FasTrack without paying, Tesla is gonna get those tickets now.
Sorry.. long rant.

I'm in California, yes. I'm prior military (24 years and my entire adult life), so had never dealt with California until 5 years ago. I had bought and traded in several cars through Toyota after retirement from the military and became a California resident, and never had an issue (likely because Toyota resold them on their own lot and took care of the plates).
This was the first car I had traded in that wasn't through Toyota and the first time I've had an issue. But, with expired tags, you'd think they wouldn't be able to sell the car? And I thought dealerships were supposed to update cars they buy from individuals with the DMV? Maybe California is different, but it's new to me if that is not the case.
Either way, lesson learned on my part. I've taken care of it, so whomever the a#$ is that was using my plates to drive through FasTrack without paying, Tesla is gonna get those tickets now.
Sorry.. long rant.

Sorry. Tesla is famously bad at the details like this. There’s really no excuse, except there isn’t any accountability…so the rules don’t actually matter.

Reactions: tm1v2 and LBM4
LOL. Sounds about right. 👍 Well, I hope Tesla enjoys getting FasTrack tickets because one of their service centers couldn't be bothered to do their jobs. Karma, I guess?

Nah. It’s chump change that might result in a rounding error…and to compensate, they’ll just jack up the price a bit more, and a bit sooner to cover the small “odd” increase in overhead costs.

This happened last couple months. Day the used car was sold to dealership, plates stayed on and was told to contact DMV for 'release of liability.' Got a massive amount of toll tickets in the mail. Confirmed with both DMV and dealership there's zero responsibility. Guess it depends on when that release was filed though. Good luck!

Reactions: LBM4
Tesla should have reminded you of it, but my understanding is it's the seller's responsibility to submit the release of liability (within 5 days of the sale), not the buyer. You can even do it online.
Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability - California DMV

Perhaps your previous dealer helped you do all the paperwork so you weren't aware of the process, but I have both bought and sold as private party and in either case it was seller's responsibility to submit that paper. If you don't, you may end up responsible for charges incurred on your plate.

As others pointed out, plates stay with the car in CA, so that also isn't out of the ordinary.

Reactions: SPACE_EX
Well, this is embarrassing. Turns out my wife didn't read through her info packet after getting the car and neglected to send in the signed DMV forms. This is her car (solely in her name), so I'll do my best to blame her. It's our third Tesla, but it was the first to be dropped off without us being present during "delivery". The first car they dropped off while we were home and we signed everything then. The second car we picked up at the delivery center and signed there.

I suppose it's my fault for not double-checking what she was supposed to do. I owe both Tesla and the DMV an apology for disparaging their good names (despite the fact that the DMV couldn't have possible been less helpful).

We dropped off the paperwork at the factory showroom this evening and the seemingly-knowledgeable woman there said they'd expedite the plates through the DMV and to expect them in a week or so. BTW - On our way out of the factory, we went south on the little frontage road past the staging/transport lot and it was absolutely full of cars being loaded onto trucks. This was around 7pm.
An old lawyer’s adage: When the law is in your favor, argue the law. When it isn’t, argue the facts. When the facts aren’t in your favor, pound the table. Or in this case, blame your wife!

I picked up my new M3 in December, 2019 andi it had the usual NJ temporary plates with an expiration date. As that date approached with no regular plates in hand, I visited my sales person at the showroom. She said that Tesla does not go to the DMV very often and that if I got a ticket for having expired paper plates Tesla would cover it. I told her that was nice, but I'd rather not have the ticket. In any case, the plates arrived just before the paper ones expired.

• Informative
Reactions: CarlThompson
Not sure if I'm in a similar situation, but I took delivery on 11/17/2021. The person working at Tesla that day was a bit inept and didn't have me sign ANY documents. About a month later I got a call from them asking me to come in to sign the DMV transfer paperwork, which I did. About two weeks later I received my plates from the DMV

Wow.

So you…live in the state but want to register it somewhere else…because you don’t want to pay your fair share?

I have no idea what the property tax in FL is for the same car but if you can’t afford it you shouldn’t drive it. You certainly shouldn’t buy ANOTHER one if you think you can’t afford the one you have now.

If you’re a VA resident and driving it here…no offense, but you should pay your share. I live here and I pay mine, in full. Please don’t cheat your fellow citizens.

Thank you.
New Jersey does not tax cars every year. There is an annual registration fee that runs about $50-$75. Cars have a sales tax at the usual rate for everything, which is 6.625%, BUT this is not collected on electric vehicles! There is an inspection which I believe starts 5-7 years after the sale of a new car, BUT since it is only an emissions inspection, Teslas are exempt. (And the crooks can't steal my catalytic converter either!)

• Love
Reactions: SPACE_EX
New Jersey does not tax cars every year. There is an annual registration fee that runs about $50-$75. Cars have a sales tax at the usual rate for everything, which is 6.625%, BUT this is not collected on electric vehicles! There is an inspection which I believe starts 5-7 years after the sale of a new car, BUT since it is only an emissions inspection, Teslas are exempt. (And the crooks can't steal my catalytic converter either!)

Yep, I used to live in NJ. All I was saying is you should pay your share according to where you live and that’s it. Every state chooses what they levy (and how heavily) and that is their prerogative. Wherever you live there, don’t free load by registering elsewhere.

At the end of the day, cost is cost and if you don’t like what they’re paying for (or how much they pay), use appropriate means to make your voice heard. Don’t choose the lame way out by simply cheating your neighbors.