Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla for work use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello looking at purchasing a tesla model 3 for %90 work use, Just wondering if you can claim charging costs both home and at a charging station? Approx 40000 kms a year.

Appreciate any feedback

Cheers

I do and have been doing 90% of my S (sold recently and hopefully a 3P replacing it soon).

All I do is base it on the average km’s I am getting per km and multiple it all up based on total km’s etc.

Interestingly I will have solar soon (with a few Tesla PW2’s) and if I claim the cost of the panels/battery would it be considered a part of the home? Claiming a home office amount off of ones mortgage results in the government sharing capital gains when the property is sold.

I do and have been doing 90% of my S (sold recently and hopefully a 3P replacing it soon).

All I do is base it on the average km’s I am getting per km and multiple it all up based on total km’s etc.

Interestingly I will have solar soon (with a few Tesla PW2’s) and if I claim the cost of the panels/battery would it be considered a part of the home? Claiming a home office amount off of ones mortgage results in the government sharing capital gains when the property is sold.
Might have to have a chat with the accountant.

My approach to claiming tax deductions will be to record actual kWh used in the year (which the Model 3 will tell you from the Trip A measure) and apply the normal grid rate (in my case, around 40c per kWh) to work out the notional cost of electricity. Then claim x% for business use.

About 75% of my charging is from solar, plus a tiny bit from supercharge, some free, some from grid. It is too hard to work out an 'actual' cost, given all these sources.

Therefore, the tax office should accept the reasonable basis to calculate your deduction as I've outlined. I am a registered tax agent, Chartered Accountant etc - but give you this suggestion with all the usual disclaimers of not knowing your individual circumstances (eg are you in a company, is FBT in the mix etc).

If somehow you accidentally reset the Trip A, then using an average efficiency rate along the lines outlined by @EcoCloudIT would also be a reasonable approach to calculating your notional cost.

My approach to claiming tax deductions will be to record actual kWh used in the year (which the Model 3 will tell you from the Trip A measure) and apply the normal grid rate (in my case, around 40c per kWh) to work out the notional cost of electricity. Then claim x% for business use.

About 75% of my charging is from solar, plus a tiny bit from supercharge, some free, some from grid. It is too hard to work out an 'actual' cost, given all these sources.

Therefore, the tax office should accept the reasonable basis to calculate your deduction as I've outlined. I am a registered tax agent, Chartered Accountant etc - but give you this suggestion with all the usual disclaimers of not knowing your individual circumstances (eg are you in a company, is FBT in the mix etc).

If somehow you accidentally reset the Trip A, then using an average efficiency rate along the lines outlined by @EcoCloudIT would also be a reasonable approach to calculating your notional cost.
Ok great ,thank you

As I understand it, there's also a difference between what you charge with versus how much is lost before it's used in the car. You could probably add on another, say, 5%? (total guess, no idea what the loss actually is)

Speak to your own accountant and take his advice, as he will know your individual circumstance.
Asking on these forums will not give you the advice you need.