Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Forum Acronyms

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, this may seem as the weirdest request ever, but is there a compilation of all the acronyms that are being used on this website. I've been reading posts here and I'm having difficulty with some of the acronyms used, trying to figure out what they actually mean. I wonder if anyone has a list of acronyms that they can post and share.
Thanks for checking.

• Informative
Reactions: dragonxt
Hello all, this may seem as the weirdest request ever, but is there a compilation of all the acronyms that are being used on this website. I've been reading posts here and I'm having difficulty with some of the acronyms used, trying to figure out what they actually mean. I wonder if anyone has a list of acronyms that they can post and share.
Thanks for checking.
Technically, an acronym is an abbreviation that is pronounced as a word, like RADAR or SCUBA. I'm not aware of any such WRT Tesla (although they do have RADAR).:D

I guess the abbreviation that makes me stop and think every time I see it is FWD, for Falcon Wing Doors. To me FWD is Front Wheel Drive, But Tesla doesn't do that configuration, of course.

AP - AutoPilot
AS - AutoSteer
TACC - Traffic Aware Cruise Control

Technically, an acronym is an abbreviation that is pronounced as a word, like RADAR or SCUBA. I'm not aware of any such WRT Tesla (although they do have RADAR).:D

I guess the abbreviation that makes me stop and think every time I see it is FWD, for Falcon Wing Doors. To me FWD is Front Wheel Drive, But Tesla doesn't do that configuration, of course.

AP - AutoPilot
AS - AutoSteer
TACC - Traffic Aware Cruise Control
Thanks for getting back. Yes FWD always made me stop and think, and my search results always return front wheel drive, but I know this will not hold in case of Tesla's.

Tesla has no qualms about hijacking pre-existing terms.

Supercharers anyone?
1200px-1968_AMX_blown_and_tubbed_e.jpg

And FWD has no other meaning to Tesla... They don't make any FWD vehicles.

(Well, I guess technically the RAV4-EV was a Tesla powered FWD vehicle without FWDs. )

• Funny
Reactions: BerTX
For a forum most of whose members are more or less devoted to Mr Musk, there certainly is a penchant for running roughshod over his well-known extreme distaste for acronyms. Or, as correctly suggested above, simple abbreviations.

There can be a place for them - I’m not overly dogmatic about it - but as a general rule, they cause more problems than they solve.

For example:
  • What does “GM” mean? Well, this is an automotive forum, so it’s probably General Motors. Wrong. Usually it’s Gross Margin. Except when it isn’t. The reader has to stop and decipher what the writer meant.
  • What is “SC”? Is it Supercharger or is it Service Center? (Since 2013 I have been championing “SpC” and “SvC”....I think I’ve seen a total of two other members using that device).
  • What on earth is the meaning of poster Bltzqf’s “DFJKW”? He or she knows but it’s garbage to most others - they either have to look it up in some internet reference, or gloss over it....either way, it’s an unnecessary distraction and time-waster.
  • Worst of all is the post - and there are a lot of these! - that contains exactly ONE reference as follows: “HPHQTC (High Performance High Quality Turbocharger)”. Now: what was the reason both for irritating other readers as well as wasting your time and electrons writing all that? As long as you spent all that effort to write it out, why didn’t you use it at least 3 or 4 more times in your post?

For a forum most of whose members are more or less devoted to Mr Musk, there certainly is a penchant for running roughshod over his well-known extreme distaste for acronyms. Or, as correctly suggested above, simple abbreviations.

There can be a place for them - I’m not overly dogmatic about it - but as a general rule, they cause more problems than they solve.

For example:
  • What does “GM” mean? Well, this is an automotive forum, so it’s probably General Motors. Wrong. Usually it’s Gross Margin. Except when it isn’t. The reader has to stop and decipher what the writer meant.
  • What is “SC”? Is it Supercharger or is it Service Center? (Since 2013 I have been championing “SpC” and “SvC”....I think I’ve seen a total of two other members using that device).
  • What on earth is the meaning of poster Bltzqf’s “DFJKW”? He or she knows but it’s garbage to most others - they either have to look it up in some internet reference, or gloss over it....either way, it’s an unnecessary distraction and time-waster.
  • Worst of all is the post - and there are a lot of these! - that contains exactly ONE reference as follows: “HPHQTC (High Performance High Quality Turbocharger)”. Now: what was the reason both for irritating other readers as well as wasting your time and electrons writing all that? As long as you spent all that effort to write it out, why didn’t you use it at least 3 or 4 more times in your post?
I enjoy those protracted, mysterious initialisms. It is a game to come up with something amusing (and usually offensive) for it to stand for.