Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Fremont reopening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20 pages is too long for all that wall-o-text.

what's the gist of this?

I never read legalease like this, but it seems rather informal in its use of language. almost like elon suggested a lot of the wording or the tone.

is use of terms like 'power-grab' really acceptable for communications like this? seems more like what a blogger would write than someone trying to state a rational emotion-free based case.

20 pages is too long for all that wall-o-text.

what's the gist of this?

I never read legalease like this, but it seems rather informal in its use of language. almost like elon suggested a lot of the wording or the tone.

is use of terms like 'power-grab' really acceptable for communications like this? seems more like what a blogger would write than someone trying to state a rational emotion-free based case.
I'm a contracts manager and I, too, thought some the verbiage was on the sarcastic side, but I sure felt his pain and anger. Also interesting is that the document never mentions Dr Pan's first name (Erica), for all the reader knows, her first name could be Potsan.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: HAWX 12
I’m a lawyer. In short, Alameda County’s shelter in place order seems to contradict State and Federal guidelines relating to COVID and is arguably preempted. Both allow manufacturing which is why GM/Ford have started preparing to start building again. The Court can order the County to confirm its order to be consistent with the State and Federal guidelines. The argument is not bad. I’d wager the County rolls over and issues a revised order soon. There are also arguments relating to other Constitutional issues like the right to assemble. Those have already sort of been looked at by other courts across the Country and did not do well. I’m waiting on a Y so my opinion may be completely biased! Hope mine is one of the first to roll off the line!

I’m a lawyer. In short, Alameda County’s shelter in place order seems to contradict State and Federal guidelines relating to COVID and is arguably preempted. Both allow manufacturing which is why GM/Ford have started preparing to start building again. The Court can order the County to confirm its order to be consistent with the State and Federal guidelines. The argument is not bad. I’d wager the County rolls over and issues a revised order soon. There are also arguments relating to other Constitutional issues like the right to assemble. Those have already sort of been looked at by other courts across the Country and did not do well. I’m waiting on a Y so my opinion may be completely biased! Hope mine is one of the first to roll off the line!

Thanks for the post! I'm also waiting on a new Model Y Performance Black to come off the line. Elon just texted me and assured me I'd get mine before yours. j/k

Thanks for the post! I'm also waiting on a new Model Y Performance Black to come off the line. Elon just texted me and assured me I'd get mine before yours. j/k
You'll both have to wait your turn. My Red/Black AWD is head of the pack. At least that's what the Tesla rep assured me when I upgraded to FSD and added the Tow hitch so it must be true... ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Matsayz
I am also waiting on my Y, but worried about the folks who would be building it. BUT, if Federal government and State officials have given the go ahead for manufacturing why counties are having their own laws? Also put the onus on the company for the wellbeing of their employees. Just my 2 cents :)

Within my state (Hawaii), we’re also having our share of conflicts between the state and the counties in terms of whose order takes precedence. Too many egos battling it out to show who’s the boss.

I’ll let you all have the first ones off the line. I’m sure they are a bit rusty coming back after a few weeks off. And they better be taking the precautions outlined in the back-to-work plan seriously — having a flare-up in the plant (which will always be a risk) would be devastating from all perspectives.

To me it’s politicians passing the buck so nobody will be blamed for making the wrong call. Trump left it in the hands of the State Governors so the populace blames them. The Governor allows each county to have their own timeline so they’re the ones who take the blame for being too aggressive/conservative.

Reactions: raggedy
The real question, have they made any progress towards quality during this closure. I have been waiting for my White on Blue AWD for 8 months, but I don't need a "scratch and dent, dirty interior" new car that badly.

Doubt it. they would need to spend more time on each car to inspect them to improve on most of the complaints... and time is something they dont have, especially now that they lost so much time due to closures.

I drive by a tesla repair shop (not a 3rd party, but Tesla owned one), on my way to work every day, and last week I saw 2 model Y's in there. Now this shop doesnt do test drives, they dont do deliveries or paint at that shop. So I wonder what they are in there for. Hopefully nothing serious. But seeing how few have been delivered so far, and already seeing 2 in the shop makes me worry about mine. I ordered black though, and from the looks of it thats at least 2 to 6 months away... so hopefully by then any kinks found with first releases are ironed out.

Doubt it. they would need to spend more time on each car to inspect them to improve on most of the complaints... and time is something they dont have, especially now that they lost so much time due to closures.

I drive by a tesla repair shop (not a 3rd party, but Tesla owned one), on my way to work every day, and last week I saw 2 model Y's in there. Now this shop doesnt do test drives, they dont do deliveries or paint at that shop. So I wonder what they are in there for. Hopefully nothing serious. But seeing how few have been delivered so far, and already seeing 2 in the shop makes me worry about mine. I ordered black though, and from the looks of it thats at least 2 to 6 months away... so hopefully by then any kinks found with first releases are ironed out.

What have you seen that leads to you believe it has that long of a lead time for black?

Alameda County press release today:

http://www.acphd.org/media/575138/press-release-tesla-2020.05.11.pdf

What's interesting is they say they "understand Tesla will submit a site-specific plan later today." I assume Tesla has already submitted plans (like the one they posted yesterday) so I wonder what else they are looking for.

Two outstanding issues as I understand it.

1) How are the employees getting to work, and dealing with the risk of transit and busses.

2) Tesla had a plan with common procedures at all it’s facilities. County officials wanted something specific to only this location.

I have the impression, that just because this was a very large plant in their county, they wanted to slow down it’s opening as part of a phased in approach of people going back to work. They have pretty much said this . They also admitted that when Tesla started to push, and threatened legal action, they slowed things down further, suggesting this is what they normally do under those circumstances.

• Informative
Reactions: anon125110