Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Frunk Open/Close Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone hate using their Frunk because it’s inconvenient to manually open and close? It’s 2023 and Tesla is one of the few EW with a manual open and close. We are looking to getting a Hansshow power Frunk. Anyone has experience installing this?

Anyone hate using their Frunk because it’s inconvenient to manually open and close? It’s 2023 and Tesla is one of the few EW with a manual open and close. We are looking to getting a Hansshow power Frunk. Anyone has experience installing this?
Yes. Got it. Love it.

The Hansshow installation is relatively easy. You really cannot make a mistake. The hardest part is getting your hands into the tight spaces to replace the struts. After that, it is a snap.

Upvote 0
Don't waste your time with Hansshow (or TeslaOffer) frunk kits. Both companies sell exactly same product so I assume that they get it from the same source. I had one kit on my 2021 Model 3 and it failed miserabely after about 15 months of use. The hood was completely stuck and I had to take half of the front apart to get it to open.

Today, the frunk kit on my 2022 Model Y failed. Thankfully I was able to pop the hood and completely removed this Chinese piece of crap. Removing it from Model Y was a major PITA because of extremely tight space to get to the struts and unscrew the brackets. After closer inspection I noticed that the motor cable was broken. I bought the kit in September of 2022 and I live in very mild climate (San Diego). The piece of junk only lasted about 8 months before it failed.

Save yourself money and aggravation - there is a reason why Tesla is not offering electronic frunk and it is due to safety concepts.

IMG_1027.jpeg
IMG_1028.jpeg
IMG_1026.jpeg
IMG_1029.jpeg

And here is response from Hansshow customer support when I tried to contact them about the broken motor:

Image 5-19-23 at 9.06 PM.jpg

I have one more kit like this on my 2022 Model S. It is operational now but I am seriously considering taking it out before it fails on me.

Upvote 0
Last winter, my frunk won't open (from Hansshow) and I thought it was due to extreme cold weather because it opened after pouring warm water around the hood. Now it's summer, it won't open again. All I could hear was the clicking sound of the latch and a brief actuator action. Once I manage to open my frunk again... I will kiss my power frunk goodbye!!!

Upvote 0
Last winter, my frunk won't open (from Hansshow) and I thought it was due to extreme cold weather because it opened after pouring warm water around the hood. Now it's summer, it won't open again. All I could hear was the clicking sound of the latch and a brief actuator action. Once I manage to open my frunk again... I will kiss my power frunk goodbye!!!
I bought their opener for my MS. Hardly used it, maybe 50 times open/close over 2 years. Both power struts got weak and wouldn't open or properly close. Contacted them. They said $130 plus shipping from China (another $50). They sell crap...

Upvote 0
I had mine installed October 2021. It was great until last week when it stopped working. I took it to Tesla Service Center and they have to cut the latch just to open the frunk and removed the power frunk. Which cost me $650. I am still considering to buy another kit but will not install the latch and just utilizing the struts. I have contacted Hansshow in regards to just buying their connectors to power the struts.

Upvote 0