Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Gigafactory Investor Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is it the best journalism is done by non-journalists? The only issue I saw with the article is where he use 2/3 of the people he talked to 3 times. I think he meant 1/3, not 2/3.

I have personally talked to over a dozen people out there now. About two-thirds of them didn’t know what I was asking about or only had a vague notion that a large “special” project was underway at the Industrial Center. Another two-thirds said the project was top secret and could say no more even when pressed. And the final two-thirds–unequivocally said–it was some sort of big battery factory, for electric cars they had heard.

Why is it the best journalism is done by non-journalists? The only issue I saw with the article is where he use 2/3 of the people he talked to 3 times. I think he meant 1/3, not 2/3.

I have personally talked to over a dozen people out there now. About two-thirds of them didn’t know what I was asking about or only had a vague notion that a large “special” project was underway at the Industrial Center. Another two-thirds said the project was top secret and could say no more even when pressed. And the final two-thirds–unequivocally said–it was some sort of big battery factory, for electric cars they had heard.

I chuckled when I read that as well.

It definitely sounds like it's one of Tesla's GF sites. I think they've probably pulled initial ground clearing/moving permits but that's it. So they're moving ground while they work on other site selection in other states. It's also possible they haven't finalized the NV site as a final choice, but they wanted to get started with moving dirt as to not delay things. But my guess is that the NV site will be one of the site choices.

The site is over 6 miles away from the Union Pacific rail line so connected won't be difficult.

Is Tesla a frequent rail shipper? I got the impression that it wasn't (notwithstanding the rail facilities in Fremont), but with a factory of this size a rail connection is a obviously a must.

How did you figure the six miles? I can see the rail line on Google Earth, but I'm not really sure the exact spot of the factory. I would add that six miles is actually pretty long for a rail spur, and with the hills, etc., the routing might need to be more circuitous. Of course, I'm saying that without actually knowing the exact location.

How did you figure the six miles? I can see the rail line on Google Earth, but I'm not really sure the exact spot of the factory. I would add that six miles is actually pretty long for a rail spur, and with the hills, etc., the routing might need to be more circuitous. Of course, I'm saying that without actually knowing the exact location.

6 miles is nothing across that sort of terrain. I recently reviewed a bid package for a 23 mile spur for a project in the neighbourhood of this dollar value (Potash Mine) the cuts/fills are likely to be minor compared to having to hack through a mountain to get the alignment flat enough for the strict grade requirements of rail.

I really like the digging this guy did, and was hoping somebody would investigate Project Tiger further. Now I'm realyl wondering if I should pick up more LEAPS pre-ER. The pieces seem to be falling into place. Any one else considering putting more chips into the game?

6 miles is nothing across that sort of terrain. I recently reviewed a bid package for a 23 mile spur for a project in the neighbourhood of this dollar value (Potash Mine) the cuts/fills are likely to be minor compared to having to hack through a mountain to get the alignment flat enough for the strict grade requirements of rail.

I really like the digging this guy did, and was hoping somebody would investigate Project Tiger further. Now I'm realyl wondering if I should pick up more LEAPS pre-ER. The pieces seem to be falling into place. Any one else considering putting more chips into the game?

Building rail lines in the US is has only gotten more difficult (although I agree the terrain looks ideal other than the hills). Many of our clients struggle with simple turnouts and loop tracks, but I doubt Tesla would let that stand in its way (hyperloop? :biggrin:). In any event, I sent you a PM (I doubt any one wants to hear too much about rail on a Tesla forum).

Below map is taken from Guest Post: Top-Secret Groundworks Outside Reno, NV Mark First Tesla Gigafactory Site
gigasitemap.jpg
Is Tesla a frequent rail shipper? I got the impression that it wasn't (notwithstanding the rail facilities in Fremont), but with a factory of this size a rail connection is a obviously a must.

Just guessing obviously, straight white lines are 4 miles then added 2 more...wild guess on my part.

Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 2.36.37 PM.png

Last edited:
Assuming this is the site there are a few warehouse distribution centers located near by to justify opening business now on the road to the GF, the intersection of USA Pkwy & [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Tahoma, sans-serif]Portofino Drive currently has a "Golden Gate Auto Truck Plaza" with gas, food, bar & slots....boy did he luck out. I was looking around using Google maps & if I lived close I would gobble up that intersection & start planning for a Subway, Dunkin Donuts, Dominos Pizza & a Buffalo wing & Beer type of joint with plenty of slot machines.[/FONT]

Assuming this is the site there are a few warehouse distribution centers located near by to justify opening business now on the road to the GF, the intersection of USA Pkwy & Portofino Drive currently has a "Golden Gate Auto Truck Plaza" with gas, food, bar & slots....boy did he luck out. I was looking around using Google maps & if I lived close I would gobble up that intersection & start planning for a Subway, Dunkin Donuts, Dominos Pizza & a Buffalo wing & Beer type of joint with plenty of slot machines.

Probably already bought up by someone with a little inside knowledge on the site. :wink:

What a hoot! I absolutely love Tesla. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Elon Musk has been conspicuously quiet. My prediction, very soon Elon will begin making the rounds selling the Gigafactory. Bear attack, no doubt. Followed up with Elon brilliantly articulately the cost benefit analysis of the Gigafactory.

A Solar Electric Future makes great sense.

Yea, a great article but a couple of pretty obvious math errors.

140,000 cubic yards is quite a lot of material. If laid out in a square, one yard deep, each side would measure 39.7 miles (64 km) long.

sqrt(140000) = 374. So this would actually be a 1 yards tall square with sides of 374 yards, or around 0.16 miles on each side.