Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Gigafactory Investor Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know, Elon isn't actually trying to play states against each other. He is just trying to get a damn factory built. The reality is that a greenfield factory must go through tons of regulatory red tape, and Elon has a very real time deadline he is trying to meet. Hence his latest strategy of trying to build more than one factory. Whichever one gets the green light (and through enough red tape) fastest will be the location. The other locations won't be abandoned, they'll just be put on the back burner until they need gigafactory #2 and #3. Great strategy once again.

You know, Elon isn't actually trying to play states against each other. He is just trying to get a damn factory built. The reality is that a greenfield factory must go through tons of regulatory red tape, and Elon has a very real time deadline he is trying to meet. Hence his latest strategy of trying to build more than one factory. Whichever one gets the green light (and through enough red tape) fastest will be the location. The other locations won't be abandoned, they'll just be put on the back burner until they need gigafactory #2 and #3. Great strategy once again.

Which means really each of these states will be getting 6500 new jobs.

I've been mulling over the personnel requirements for the prospective 6,500 Gigafactory employees. In my mind the ability of a community to supply this talent pool will become a deciding factor in choosing a location. Obviously Silicon Valley is the Mecca of innovation, invention, and creativity. Texas, Nevada, Arizona, and new Mexico seem less capable of supplying the caliber of people available in California. (Yes, I'm deliberating trying to stir debate.)

The opportunity traffic jam created by the last TM Fremont job fair is a metaphor for Tesla's greatest strength. The brightest, most innovative, inventive and creative people in the world want to work for Elon Musk.

California is hands down the best choice for Tesla's Gigafactory.

I've been mulling over the personnel requirements for the prospective 6,500 Gigafactory employees. In my mind the ability of a community to supply this talent pool will become a deciding factor in choosing a location. Obviously Silicon Valley is the Mecca of innovation, invention, and creativity. Texas, Nevada, Arizona, and new Mexico seem less capable of supplying the caliber of people available in California. (Yes, I'm deliberating trying to stir debate.)

The opportunity traffic jam created by the last TM Fremont job fair is a metaphor for Tesla's greatest strength. The brightest, most innovative, inventive and creative people in the world want to work for Elon Musk.

California is hands down the best choice for Tesla's Gigafactory.

I posted this over on the TM forum yesterday:

AlMc | July 20, 2014 According to Elon the criteria that TM will use is the speed at which it can be built as it needs to be operational within 2-3 years and fully ramped up in 3-4 years as TM starts ramping up the Model 3 to 500K/year.
Say that all 5 states can get it up and running just as fast (Elon's #1 criteria). What are the other important criteria?
Mine, not in order of importance:
1. Cost to build (land, labor)
2. Infrastructure to support (railways/highways)
3. Cost to operate (tax incentives, labor costs)
4. Availability of skilled labor
5. Proximity to Freemont
6. Proximity to raw materials
7. Prior history with the state (do they support Tesla sales model?)
Anyone have additional criteria?

I posted this over on the TM forum yesterday:

AlMc | July 20, 2014 According to Elon the criteria that TM will use is the speed at which it can be built as it needs to be operational within 2-3 years and fully ramped up in 3-4 years as TM starts ramping up the Model 3 to 500K/year.
Say that all 5 states can get it up and running just as fast (Elon's #1 criteria). What are the other important criteria?
Mine, not in order of importance:
1. Cost to build (land, labor)
2. Infrastructure to support (railways/highways)
3. Cost to operate (tax incentives, labor costs)
4. Availability of skilled labor
5. Proximity to Freemont
6. Proximity to raw materials
7. Prior history with the state (do they support Tesla sales model?)
Anyone have additional criteria?

Perhaps it falls under #3, cost to operate, but I'd say another high (top three) criteria is partnerships. I know I have offed previously that a place like San Antonio, with an inventive municipal utility, could create some interesting channels for GigaFactory output. If part of the GigaFactory's future is supplying fixed storage for renewables like solar and wind, then someone like CPS, San Antonio's utility, could offer guaranteed purchase and implementation of the concept to prove the market viability. I'd imagine if structured at a large enough scale, Tesla would be quite interested in that.

Anybody remember WLC and RBI.TO as a side investment play to provide Lithium to the gigafactory. What happened to them with the recent big drop? Has Tsla confirmed they are not using them as suppliers?

I have a position in Western Lithium. It has been trading in the .45-.50 range for quite some time now. I averaged in over a three month period last year: Average: .34; It had spiked to over .80 at one point but quickly dropped back to the '40-50' again. That quick pop and drop was a couple months ago.

I have a position in Western Lithium. It has been trading in the .45-.50 range for quite some time now. I averaged in over a three month period last year: Average: .34; It had spiked to over .80 at one point but quickly dropped back to the '40-50' again. That quick pop and drop was a couple months ago.
I have positions in both. RBI has seen a huge drop recently and I thought it'd be the more stable of the two as it actually has mining operation going in instead of exploration. Ah well. Live and learn.

Glenn Williams's article in today's (22 July) The Street - http://www.thestreet.com/story/12781526/1/williams-shorting-teslas-batteries.html?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO - is horrifically misleading. His entire premise is wrong: that Tesla is building a "Li-ion" battery factory, one that could be made instantly obsolete by different technologies.

It is (they are) a battery factory, Mr. Williams and, while I certainly am not privy to its makeup, we have learned enough about it to be certain it easily could be re-structured to incorporate other chemistries. Shame on you - I did not see any way to respond to such grossly misleading writing.

Glenn Williams's article in today's (22 July) The Street - http://www.thestreet.com/story/1278...-teslas-batteries.html?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO - is horrifically misleading. His entire premise is wrong: that Tesla is building a "Li-ion" battery factory, one that could be made instantly obsolete by different technologies.

It is (they are) a battery factory, Mr. Williams and, while I certainly am not privy to its makeup, we have learned enough about it to be certain it easily could be re-structured to incorporate other chemistries. Shame on you - I did not see any way to respond to such grossly misleading writing.

To boot, it is a reprint of an article out over a month ago I believe.

I think that's gotta be it. What's a pizza factory, anyway? I thought pizza was made in restaurants.

Or...it could be one and the same. I've heard of autos with pizzazz before, but never batteries....but what do I know? Or maybe they'll build cars there, as well.

The Tesla Pizzazz. It delivers!

:)

There seems to be some earth being moved in Reno but it might not be related who knows if it is related: (it might be a pizza factory)

Is This the Site of the Tesla Giga Factory in Nevada? : Greentech Media

Looking on Google Earth there is a rail line near that location but a spur would have to be built to that address.

The article offers no evidence that the site could be the Gigafactory. It references "Tesla own blogs" which links to a Tesla forum page which of course is not official information from Tesla.

So maybe, maybe not.

I think that's gotta be it. What's a pizza factory, anyway? I thought pizza was made in restaurants.

The "pizza factory" line is a weak attempt at humor.