Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Gigafactory Investor Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am finding it hard envisioning a construction site more horrifying than one where a number of PV panels were so strewn about. Please trust Cattledog and others that they really, truly are not solar panels!

It's galvanized metal deck that spans between the beams. What looks like a solid roof structure is simply the beams marching off in perspective.

Above metal deck there may be a slab, but I doubt it on the roof. Would have insulation, then a membrane roof, then we'll see a zillion solar panels interspersed with rooftop mechanical equipment.
You are absolutely correct. Being the business, it's also called Q-Deck
Screen Shot 2015-01-08 at 12.05.36 AM.png

"Module" dimensions appear to be 500' x 320' based on what they currently have foundations for. That's 160,000 sqft per level, and then it just depends on how many modules they go with. I agree that it does not look like they will be able to fit anywhere near 10,000,000 sqft in the currently prepared area.

I think it just seems that way because of lens distortion and the fact that a hill is blocking part of our view. This should clear things up:

Gigafactory Progress.png

I probably should have included the Gigafactory picture in my post for reference:

In your picture, the long axis of the GF is parallel to those of the other 2 factories, but if you apply the geometry you have there to the actual photo, you get a factory foundation with its major axis perpendicular to the others.
The structure that is already up seems clearly to be parallel to the other 2 factories but this is not the case in your picture.

Unless I'm seeing something totally wrong or the lens effects REALLY mess things up.

I love all of you right now :D <3

The collective knowledge and abilities of all parties to piece this information together from just a handful of photos... I am just as amazed by people's ability to analyze data right now as I am at the progress of the factory :D

You are absolutely correct. Being the business, it's also called Q-Deck
View attachment 68499

See, this is what I was thinking it was originally, but then was confused at why they were laying the pieces on the roof in the fashion that they are... When I did roofing (for a VERY short period of my life... I have only ever installed 2 metal roofs in my time, so take that for what you will) when you link the pieces together you almost have to start from one side working your way to the other. But you see random single pieces stuck to the roof all by themselves... and that seems like a very terrible way to build that. I know they aren't likely to get much rain out there... but when it does rain you need them linked properly to avoid any risk of leaks... Unless I am totally missing something with how these particular metal pieces form together?

I too was skeptical of it being solar at this point, but it just didn't make sense to my mind of how they were putting the roof together.

I'm wondering if the 4 white lines we see cutting across the Gigafactory which break it up into 5 separate sections actually represent different buildings that are co-joined. In other words, will we see one or two of those 5 sections get finished on the exterior and they start putting in the interiors as the next section is built. If that's the case, we won't see the full exterior until say, 2018 or 2019.

Above metal deck there may be a slab, but I doubt it on the roof. Would have insulation, then a membrane roof, then we'll see a zillion solar panels interspersed with rooftop mechanical equipment.

This just made me think of something. Take a look at the other two factories and note the skylights all over the place, which are presumably there to cut down on lighting requirements during the day. I wonder how they plan on setting this up on the GF with a roof that appears to be mostly covered in solar panels. Kind of a catch 22 where you need the panels to harness energy, but those same panels are taking up real estate that could offer free light energy. The rendering does not appear to have accounted for this.

It will be interesting to watch how the Site prep moves forward, as it will be very telling as to how much of the factory they've committed to build in the near term. Thanks to all for the great insight into the perspective and orientation, it's really tough to gauge the current extents.

Also, I believe the white lines in the rendering merely delineate the solar arrays, and not the factory itself.

The panels are just placed there so that when the decking gets there, they won't have to walk as far to the nearest stack. With the apparent wide flange beams of the roof structure, it would appear that this decking will have a concrete slab over it. Solar panels are heavy, I'd imagine, so it could just be for accommodation of that weight. Based on ScepticMatt's post, it looks like ajax is right, just on the wrong side of the factory's long axis. I used to post on construction forums, so I might make useful observations occasionally.

Yes, great drawing!

A number of bears have pointed out that Tesla might not have all the money to build all of the Gigafactory yet. However, nameplate capacity is not expected until 2020 and first cells are expected now in 2016. So do they build the whole exterior, or really do we see a part of the whole thing.

I don't think its a bear argument. I strongly feel that Tesla will raise another round once they announce Model 3 and starts taking orders. This year, Tesla will spend a lot on upgrading tools to support Model X lines while continue to grow superchargers, service stations, and stores. Though Elon suggested that they will get more positive cash flow starting with the 2nd half of this year, I think such a case is delayed due to Model X release being pushed out.

Next year, and 2017, most expenses will be directed towards GF where machinery will come in and production lines will be created. A company growing & spending with the nature of Tesla, they need quite a lot of money handy to be capable of unforeseen events like earthquakes which can disrupt manufacturing lines for months.

Okay, after some Googling and a little scaling, here's what I get;

The yellow cranes in the picture appear to be Liebherr LR1300's (These guys also seem to have a few, Bragg Companies - Branches) and the largest lower lattice boom sections comes in 40' 2" sections, which they appear to have installed on these machines.

I scaled the image using the lower boom section as a reference, and you can see (hopefully) the rest of the dimensions.

40' First floor clearance
25' Second floor clearance

"Module" dimensions appear to be 500' x 320' based on what they currently have foundations for. That's 160,000 sqft per level, and then it just depends on how many modules they go with. I agree that it does not look like they will be able to fit anywhere near 10,000,000 sqft in the currently prepared area.

The other interesting thing is the second floor joists are smaller depth W beams, and not open web joists like you'd see in a normal warehouse/factory application, so they are preparing for a ton of weight to go on top.

View attachment 68471
I think you mis-labeled the distances on your black lines, supposed to be other way around? Just from eyeballing the dirt truck in bottom right corner that is at least 30ft long, parked parallel to the 271 foot line, could easily line up 10 of those and not get very far down the line. Thanks!

Based on the assumption that each orange foundation marker is 10 yards apart, I am estimating 300 feet by 1500 feet is the black line space. That would be one 'module' of 450,000 square feet. 10 modules with two floors would get them to ~10M square feet. Those distances also line up with # of modules fitting in the other road drawings others have posted above.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Updated: Looks like there are only 6 square modules, plus the curved end modules. Either way, I think this photo is taken at a low enough angle that the distance outward is much longer than it appears relative to the distance across.

Last edited:
I think you mis-labeled the distances on your black lines, supposed to be other way around? Just from eyeballing the dirt truck in bottom right corner that is at least 30ft long, parked parallel to the 271 foot line, could easily line up 10 of those and not get very far down the line. Thanks!

You're right, I think my scale only works in the one plane that the crane is in as the perspective across the other axis throws everything off.

That 30' truck is pretty accurate (Specs sheets say ~ 33' 5") and it appears to be roughly the length of one grid line, of which I count a total of 50 or so. However, I think the perspective is still misleading as if you look at the bays on far left side, you'll notice that they are approximately half of the 50' ones, but are not square, which means that the gridline spacing is probably more like 15'.

*Revised module dimensions working top to bottom and left to right in the picture (Half the black line space)

Top to bottom: 0-50 @ 15' each
Left to Right: A-B @ 25' and B-K @ 50'

750' x 475' = 356,250 sqft per floor or 712,500 per module which equates to about 14 overall.

Hopefully this is a little more accurate? Can somebody get more pictures?!

I would remind you all of the 5 Phase construction of the project we talked about back on post 1788: Tesla Gigafactory Investor Thread - Page 179

Phase 1: Sept. 2014-Sept. 2015
• Phase 2: Dec. 2014-Dec. 2015
• Phase 3: April 2015-May 2016
• Phase 4: May 2015-Dec. 2016
Phase 5: Aug. 2016-Dec. 2017

I estimated at that time that the 5 phases likely represent 5 modules and their completion times. So the whole building will be finished in 2017, but the first module should be up and running by the Sept 2015 and therefore able to start moving in equipment at that point to have production running in 2016. This is all just guesses based on the timelines but it makes the most sense.

I have only ever installed 2 metal roofs in my time, so take that for what you will) when you link the pieces together you almost have to start from one side working your way to the other. But you see random single pieces stuck to the roof all by themselves... and that seems like a very terrible way to build that. I know they aren't likely to get much rain out there... but when it does rain you need them linked properly to avoid any risk of leaks... Unless I am totally missing something with how these particular metal pieces form together?

The overlap sequence may not matter with a flat roof the way it does with a pitched roof. I assume the flat roof will get some sort of water proof covering.