Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Gigafactory Investor Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found this picture perusing the new Tesla Site on this page: Contact | Tesla Motors

map-tesla-gigafactory.jpg

I think this would be a better one to use to get a size reference with the surrounding area since it was rendered from top down as opposed to doing a perspective shift on the angled shot.

- - - Updated - - -

and just for kicks here is my very crude use of MS Paint to fit it into the larger Google Earth view.

factory.png

This is slightly a bit bigger it seems from the other image that was perspective shifted, at least wider... but maybe not taller.

Thanks chickensevil!

Funny that the gigafactory is now marked in google maps. Maybe they read this thread (hello?)
I made a better version. This also allowed me to measure it with google measure tool: 1175x425m
Accuracy depends on who made the tesla image. My previous guss using solar panels was 1162x387m

gigafactoryx4eig.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but this will very likely be the second biggest building on earth, second only to Boeing's Everett plant. If the gigafactory's combined ceiling height is greater than 94.4 feet it will be the biggest building on earth by volume.

Some supporting math:

5,000,000ft^2 * 65ft = 325,000,000ft^3 this uses the estimated 40ft ceiling height of the first floor and the estimated 25ft ceiling for the second floor. Good for 2nd biggest building on the planet.
5,000,000ft^2 * 94.4ft = 472,000,000ft^3 this would be equal in size to the Boeing factory

- - - Updated - - -

List of largest buildings: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_buildings_in_the_world

Thanks chickensevil!

Funny that the gigafactory is now marked in google maps. Maybe they read this thread (hello?)
I made a better version. This also allowed me to measure it with google measure tool: 1175x425m
Accuracy depends on who made the tesla image. My previous guss using solar panels was 1162x387m

gigafactoryx4eig.jpg

Yeah I thought that would be a good score since it gives us an official rendering that is set top down for proper scaling and sizing. Which I believe gives us the first REAL fit on the landscape.

Now we just need to attempt once more to sort where the current footprint fits in with the rendering which will tell us how many modules they will be building to make a complete factory. I am still thinking that based on their timelines given previously of their 5 phase approach I still think we are going to see 5 modules.

As a second option, maybe it will be four core modules and then the final phase is shaping it into a diamond (since that is missing from the current foundation) and also getting a proper roof on.

Thoughts?

Now we just need to attempt once more to sort where the current footprint fits in with the rendering which will tell us how many modules they will be building to make a complete factory. I am still thinking that based on their timelines given previously of their 5 phase approach I still think we are going to see 5 modules.

As a second option, maybe it will be four core modules and then the final phase is shaping it into a diamond (since that is missing from the current foundation) and also getting a proper roof on.

Thoughts?

Well, I've certainly been wrong before, but I think I'm getting closer :smile:. Assuming a beam spacing of 40' X 60' (I used pickup trucks and 20 ft shipping containers in some of the pictures for scale), then they're currently working on just over 1/4 of the total footprint. Getting the shipping/receiving section up and running from the beginning probably means a bigger first module. I'm guessing it's close to 2080' X 690'.

Gigafactory Progress Overlay 5.jpg
Gigafactory Progress Overlay 5 Cropped.jpg

Maybe it will be in an order similar to this:
Gigafactory Progress.jpg

Where the current footprint is the first section, and then they move over and sections 2 and 3 are a bit smaller. 4 finishes off the end. Then they add the diamond edges on last? Would still hit the 5 phase approach while accounting for the currently built foundation and taking your sizing into account.

- - - Updated - - -

I suppose we'll find out soon enough, how they really plan to do it. But I think your sizing helps give proper perspective of their progress given the footprint they are supposed to end up with in the end.

Well, I've certainly been wrong before, but I think I'm getting closer :smile:. Assuming a beam spacing of 40' X 60' (I used pickup trucks and 20 ft shipping containers in some of the pictures for scale), then they're currently working on just over 1/4 of the total footprint. Getting the shipping/receiving section up and running from the beginning probably means a bigger first module. I'm guessing it's close to 2080' X 690'.

Excellent overlay Ajax, thanks. Exciting!

A list of Gigafactory work being done, along with contractors, phases and valuation:
Total ~$33 Million.

Remodeling work by Schuff Steel Company
Dec 14, 2014
Structural steel erection - phase 1
Valuation: $15,000,000.00 Permit #: 09343-12 Client: Tesla Motors Inc

Remodeling work by Rosendin Electric Inc
Dec 3, 2014
Temporary construction power - phase 3. estimated work completion date: 06/03/2015
Valuation: $1,585,505.00 Permit #: 09343-11 Client: Tesla Motors, Inc.

Remodeling work by Largo Concrete Inc
Nov 20, 2014
Temporary construction trailer - largo concrete tenant estimated work commencement date: 11/20/2014 estimated work completion date: 05/20/2015
Status: Issued Permit #: 09343-10 Client: Tesla Motors, Inc Permit Fee: $100.00 paid

Remodeling work by W G Yates & Sons Construction Co
Nov 18, 2014
Temporary power for construction trailer - phase 2. additional contractor on permit: vasko electric, inc.
Valuation: $152,038.00 Permit #: 09343-09 Client: Tesla Motors, Inc.

Remodeling work by W G Yates & Sons Construction Co
Nov 10, 2014
Foundation. estimated work commencement date: 10/27/14. estimated work completion date: 04/27/15
Valuation: $16,000,000.00 Permit #: 09343-08 Client: Tesla Motors, Inc. Permit Fee: $99,591.93 paid

Remodeling work by Vasko Electric
Oct 1, 2014
Temporary power for construction trailer - phase 1
Valuation: $94,924.00 Permit #: 09343-06 Client: Tahoe Reno Ind Center Llc Permit Fee: $1,581.00 paid

Remodeling work by Vasko Electric
Oct 1, 2014
Temporary power for construction trailer city phase i
Valuation: $94,924.00 Permit #: 09343-06 Client: Tahoe Reno Ind Center Permit Fee: $1,581.01 paid

Remodeling work by Granite Construction Company
Sep 18, 2014
Temp jobsite trailer
Permit #: 09343-05 Client: Tahoe Reno Ind Center Llc Permit Fee: $200.00 paid
Remodeling work by Granite Construction Company

Sep 4, 2014
Swppp site retention ponds. two contractors referenced on this permit: w g yates & sons const co and granite construction company. fee breakdown -- building: $60,358.75. plan review: $39,233.18. fees paid via wire transfer.
Valuation: $500,000.00 Permit #: 09343-04 Client: Tahoe Reno Ind Center Llc Permit Fee: $3,557.13 paid
Remodeling work by Gopher Construction Inc.

Jul 14, 2014
Retention basin. cubic yards: 200,000. estimated work commencement date: 07/14/2014. estimated work completion date: 01/14/2015.
Permit #: 09343-02 Client: Tahoe Reno Ind Center Llc Permit Fee: $1,686.25 paid
Remodeling work by F + P Construction

Jun 26, 2014
Clear and grub. estimated work start date: 05/19/2014. estimated work completion date: 11/16/2014. 140,000 cubic yards
Permit #: 09343-00 Client: Tahoe Reno Ind Center Llc Permit Fee: $1,387.75 paid
Remodeling work by F + P Construction

Jun 26, 2014
Create pad. cubic yards: 5,300,000. two contractors: granite construction company and f + p construction
Permit #: 09343-01 Client: Tahoe Reno Ind Center Llc Permit Fee: $23,998.75 paid
Remodeling work by Quick Space

Jun 26, 2014
12 temporary work trailers. estimated commencement date: 06/26/2014. estimated completion date: 06/26/2015.
Client: Tahoe Reno Industrial Center Permit Fee: $1,200.00 paid

Source: Building Permits at Gigafactory Electric Avenue, McCarran, NV
Forbes Article: Tesla Gigafactory Permits Reveal Huge Costs: $16 Million For The Foundation Alone - Forbes

(via reddit)

Phase 1 is already completed? Phase 2 may or may not be completed, but the foundation and phase 3 work are in progress.

The only obvious phase 2 item was temporary power so either phase 2 was only power or phase 2 hasn't started yet and only the temp power for phase 2 has been done.

Retention basin should have just completed. Estimated work commencement date: 07/14/2014. estimated work completion date: 01/14/2015.

Foundation. estimated work commencement date: 10/27/14. estimated work completion date: 04/27/15. I'm not sure if the foundation is considered a phase 1 project, a phase 2 project or if it crosses the boundaries and exists as a project in multiple phases?

Phase 3 temporary power. estimated work completion date: 06/03/2015. I guess you could say this is phase 3 work or it's the last item in phase 2 that allows phase 3 to start?

all in all the items are interesting but I'm not sure what each phase covers (is the phase a concept of preparation, a designation of area worked, or a combination of those?)

Hey guys, I made a massive image from the previously linked imgur images. I'll cut to the point. The 12th, 21st, and 31st column lines from the left are actually two column lines spaced ~3' apart with 1 to 1.5 feet gap between the floor framing. The 42nd line has similar larger foundations. The last row of foundations is number 53. In other words, we're looking at 5 independent structures.