Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Gigafactory Investor Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be clear, CA was working with Tesla on the terms of the agreement. Then it was just a matter of, "If we go to the trouble to pass this legislation in its current form, you must agree to locate here." So it was something with the agreement that Tesla did not like, not the fact that they felt their hands were tied. They had all the bids in from the other states during these negotiations with the Governor's office and had the ability to make a final, informed decision without getting in too deep where they didn't want to.

As I said before, I'm looking forward to the press release to see just what Nevada was secretly able to come up with that was so enticing.

Even if Nevada's package was 10-20% less than California TM was bound to go somewhere other than California. EM indicated that he thought Cali was a long shot and my opinion is that speed far, far outweighs money. If Cali passes a bill allowing the 'side stepping' of some environmental regulations then TM has a PR nightmare And there is no way that building is not stopped several times by lawsuits/court injunctions. PACS for big oil, auto dealers and environmental groups would have had a legal field day.

Even if Nevada's package was 10-20% less than California TM was bound to go somewhere other than California. EM indicated that he thought Cali was a long shot and my opinion is that speed far, far outweighs money. If Cali passes a bill allowing the 'side stepping' of some environmental regulations then TM has a PR nightmare And there is no way that building is not stopped several times by lawsuits/court injunctions. PACS for big oil, auto dealers and environmental groups would have had a legal field day.

yep. Agreed. Even if NV package is less than what Cali offered, NV might still be a better choice due to lower labor costs

Spreading the Tesla enterprise to other states is also a good move politically. The more jobs Tesla supportsed in different parts of the country, the more political allies it will gain -- even from politicians that don't particularly like what electric cars stand for.
Could not agree more. Yes California supported tesla when they most needed it but their investment in credits have paid off very well and will continue to. Tesla needs to be American car maker and then international car maker in the future

- - - Updated - - -

I will bet second giga will be china. They will not make battery packs here to transport to china. The current proposed plant will support Fremont production.

Sorry if this has been posted but when is the PC and where can we watch it?

The press conference is scheduled to begin at 16:00 PDT (23:00 UT - 01:00 CEST). Sorry, it could be a late night for you. I am not aware of planned live TV coverage, but we may learn something later. Automaker reporter Phil LeBeau of CNBC will be in Carson City for the press conference.

- - - Updated - - -

7:00pm EST. I don't have a link to a feed though.

That would be EDT.

One nice side-benefit of the GF: the car's US content will be high enough to avoid Canadian import duties. Currently, the Model S falls just below that threshold.

That's exactly what I'm waiting for in terms of hopefully owning a model 3. That import duty of 6.1% makes a huge difference. Actually, thinking about it further, if the competition is the entry level Lexus IS, BMW 3 series, Mercedes C-class, all of those cars are subjected to the import duty since they're made overseas. So the case for buying a Model 3 over the other entry level luxuries is tilted further in the model 3's favour on a cost basis. Doesn't that also mean that the cross-border price difference between Canada and US can be either reduced, or even lead to greater margin for Tesla if the Canadian price remains higher?

Now taking bets: which will be first, El Centro supercharger opening, or the actual start of press conference.

I mean we are like... 45 minutes out still, haha... impatiently sitting here waiting for this to start when we know full and well that it isn't supposed to do anything for a while from now. Gosh, it's like Christmas for us, and we are staying up all night long!