Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me rephrase that. I meant that in the youtube video from the 15th, there are four crawlers in the area we see the yellow and white/black/orange one in this last image. The trailers have disassembled sections from one of the latter and there is a small hydraulic crane to disassemble the last two there. It might just be me, but the last rows of columns and beams to the right of the image look to be smaller and perhaps able to be installed by a yet to be seen smaller/cheaper crane..

Only one of the 4 cranes appears to be missing in the photo, maybe they either didn't need it any longer or it was needed elsewhere for the time being. If you look the construction is almost finished for what you would be needing these giant cranes for in the first place. Although it does look like one of the yellow ones is in the process of being disassembled.

Re: flat area, as I and others have stated, it would certainly *not* be flattened out for the purpose of wind. There is pretty decent spacing between the windmills and hills tend to get more wind than a flat pad, plus it puts the towers higher in the air which also gives way to better wind generation. So whatever the purpose of the pad... it would not be for wind.

It's interesting to note the ridge in the background has been cut. For the railroad track? Also nice to see the roof decking is nearly complete in the latest pics. The pour of the concrete floor should go fast. Then the walls. Not long before Panasonic production equipment can start to be moved in.

Would be interested to know how thick of a floor they decide to go with. Would also be neat to see pictures of some of the battery equipment. Where is that stuff at currently?

"Tesla has said they want material supplier partners who will locate processing facilities at the Nevada Gigafactory site. Tesla has already leveled a second large pad at their Nevada site, North of the main factory site. The combination of a quickly available site and a customer with large, long-term demand will be attractive to material suppliers needing to increase capacity to meet growing world-wide demand, provided of course, that Tesla can convince suppliers and the investment community that their battery venture will succeed." Source seeking alpha

Grading for the wind farm?

I really just can't see it being for that. Either it was fill in from the dirt the dug up elsewhere or they are doing it for some other purpose (like something that actually requires flat land). Keep in mind that Elon specifically said that the shape of the building was such as to disturb as little terrain as possible... So why would then then turn around and pointlessly disturb terrain for a wind farm that doesn't need any kind of special grading. I will eat my words if that is what it is for, but it just doesn't make any sense to me on many different levels, the biggest of which is environmental impact of moving terrain that didn't need to be moved (and therefore messing with water flows and drain off and such)

"Tesla has already leveled a second large pad at their Nevada site,North of the main factory site.Tesla has said they want material supplier partners who will locate processing facilities at the Nevada Gigafactory site"

So a 2d
building is likely to get built on the cleared pad for processing facility, who will take the bait?

New pics at Kimbal Musks Instagram!

Last edited:
"Tesla has already leveled a second large pad at their Nevada site,North of the main factory site.Tesla has said they want material supplier partners who will locate processing facilities at the Nevada Gigafactory site"

So a 2d
building is likely to get built on the cleared pad for processing facility, who will take the bait?

New pics at Kimbal Musks Instagram!
added a link: Instagram

Reno Gazette Journal has an article today about reduced hiring of electrical workers:
Tesla gigafactory construction delayed, says union job board

"The Tiger Project has been cut back by 80% at this time," the IBEW post said. "This is all subject to change."

"The common thread attributed to the delay is a change in design plans for the gigafactory. As a result, sources familiar with the situation at the site consider the current reduction more of a short-term hiccup that should not affect the project long term."