Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla grantees a licensee for electricity generation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

m3gt2

Sep 14, 2015
england
So not the license has been granted, does anyone think that UK could end up with a battery gigafactory also producing cars as surely now we would be 1 of the most important markets to have' million mile' batteries? Far fetched I know but it would be nice!

Reactions: M3noob
This vehicle to grid stuff, I assume its something existing owners could take part in and isn't tied exlusively to the new "million mile battery"?

Im sure I saw an energy company running trials with Nissan Leaf owners and they'd partnered with Nissan to do it so would assume this won't be restricted...

Tesla cars don't have the hardware capable of V2G. Perhaps future iterations will. They also have dedicated solutions (PowerWall, PowerPack, MegaPack, ) I don't see them rushing to add this to cars too somehow.

Via the new V3 wall connector they could support demand response - charge when most beneficial to the grid/owner - but that's only catching up to what all the OLEV grant compliant non-tesla wall connectors have been ready for too (mandated since March 2020 )

I’d place a fiver on this being large scale battery storage like the Hornsdale Power Reserve. Store energy when cheap. Sell it at peak. We have lots of renewables to benefit from.

I did some man maths on this last year and at low scale there’s a 20+ year payback. With unknown battery performance that’s risky. With Tesla’s technical knowledge, financial clout and scale I recon it’ll be a nice earner. They don’t have first mover advantage (China is already here) but they are entering the market early.

Tesla could also bid for National Grids lucrative frequency response / black start contracts. National Grid aren’t going to say no to the investment. For those with a short memory: UK battery storage fleet plays pivotal role in power cut response
National Grid have identified strategic locations on their network throughout the UK where battery storage would be desirable.

...just to keep speculation rolling I’ll throw this one in. Less likely but Tesla solar coming to the UK? It wouldn’t be my first choice if I’m sat in California.

I’d place a fiver on this being large scale battery storage like the Hornsdale Power Reserve. Store energy when cheap. Sell it at peak. We have lots of renewables to benefit from.

Thats not the main aim of Hornsdale. The main aim is frequency control (high power, very short bursts) and 70% of the capacity is reserved for that. Only 30% is used for "Store energy when cheap. Sell it at peak."

Tesla cars don't have the hardware capable of V2G. Perhaps future iterations will. They also have dedicated solutions (PowerWall, PowerPack, MegaPack, ) I don't see them rushing to add this to cars too somehow.

Via the new V3 wall connector they could support demand response - charge when most beneficial to the grid/owner - but that's only catching up to what all the OLEV grant compliant non-tesla wall connectors have been ready for too (mandated since March 2020 )
I think all Model 3 have the capability but not sure about Raven S&X, all pre-Raven won't have it I don't think.

They don’t need a generator license to start selling home solar.

This license enables them to supply electricity to the wholesale market, companies like Octopus will be their customer.
This is the list of companies they are now equivalent to see the “electricity generation” section starting on page 2 https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/system/fil...registered_or_service_addresses_new_1.0_0.pdf

e.g.
Orsted (offshore wind farm)
Sellafield Ltd (nuclear)
West Midlands grid storage ltd (most relevant?)

I'm with NewbieT on this, it's not V2G or powerwall, this is massive battery banks that can sit alongside our world class wind farms, and our somewhat "enthusiastic" solar.
They buy the power from the farms and sell it to the grid as an energy provider. The solar farms are happy as they get a solid rate for the power and don't get reduced rates for shutting down turbines or dealing with excessive load. The Grid then gets a steady reliable power source that they can easily manage and don't need to pay to reduce the load, or pay over the odds to help meet demand.
There's also a massive issue with renewables not running huge heavy flywheels that the grid relies on to dampen spikes and Hz fluctuations. This is a win win for everyone (apart from those on flexible energy tariffs that get paid to use power when demand is low)