Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla has my $61K and jerked me around on delivery for weeks. Now, no car for another month.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this possible with the Model 3 process? I would certainly prefer to just hand them a cashier's check on delivery instead of the "wiring of funds" I am hearing will be asked of me.
Purchasers can't write a personal check like at other car dealers?

Yes, you have the option to pay your down payment and/or loan with a check during delivery. Loans can be provided by having your Credit Union/Bank give those funds to Tesla or they can hand you a check to take with you during delivery. The remaining payments (other than reservation and order payment) can be given as a personal check if it's less than $10k, via ACH, or wire transfers. You may want to initiate the ACH process at least 3 days prior to delivery, though. It's can take around 3 days for it to go through.

You lose a lot of leverage paying for a car before you are satisfied with it at the point of delivery. It's just the way things work.
Maybe..but you haven't taken delivery and driven off the lot..so exchange has taken place.

Yes, you have the option to pay your down payment and/or loan with a check during delivery. Loans can be provided by having your Credit Union/Bank give those funds to Tesla or they can hand you a check to take with you during delivery. The remaining payments (other than reservation and order payment) can be given as a personal check if it's less than $10k, via ACH, or wire transfers. You may want to initiate the ACH process at least 3 days prior to delivery, though. It's can take around 3 days for it to go through.

So no personal checks for the balance...like a 50K+ personal check?

I was told my Model 3 103XX would arrive on around the 21st of March. I took out a personal loan and transferred the money to Tesla on the 19th.

I received no update on my delivery, so I called my sales advisor who then told me, whoops, there are now no delivery spots available until the 29th. Why wasn't my spot booked earlier? I am paying interest on a $55,000 loan. Mildly irritated, but I've been waiting a long time already and what's another week. Interest is not that much over a week, I guess.

I receive a call 2 hours before my appointment at 11am on the 29th to be told, whoops, the firmware isn't updating please come at 8pm instead. Why wasn't this told to me before I adjusted my schedule? Annoying, but fine, I understand.

I turn up at 8pm to pick up the car and, after waiting, am told, whoops, the main screen won't work and we are missing a part. We will have to order a new vehicle for you and maybe it will take a few more weeks. Why didn't someone call me before I drove all the way for pickup? Why has the story changed on what is wrong with the car?

Now, Tesla already has my money and I am paying interest. I love my model X and have referred it others, but this situation is ridiculous.

What would you guys do?

I see you listed yourself in California. Which delivery center did this happen at? Thinking not the Factory location as I wouldn't think it would take weeks to get a replacement vehicle. I certainly would be annoyed to say the least if my time was wasted like that, particularly the driving there part. I have learned however with anything these days to call a day ahead or morning of to confirm things...especially when set out a bit in advance. Been screwed a few times by not being proactive.

I'm sorry this happened to you in any event. Certainly not the best way to start a new car purchase off. With all the delays this quarter I am sure they are scrambling with everyone they have (those doing paperwork, prepping the cars, following up with customers) to get cars in the hands of owners by the 31st for end of quarter deliveries. The fact that you didn't get your car yesterday I'm sure someone there was not happy either.

A few more weeks delay...I think you are entitled to have your loan's interest covered for that time period. I'm not one to ask for little swag stuff so probably wouldn't say anything beyond the interest. I think it would be appropriate for them to maybe do something for you when your final car is ready. It will be interesting to hear if your VIN changes. I suppose you should contact your lender to apprise them of the situation since they loaned you money for a car that you don't have yet. I'm sure this won't be the first time for them dealing with this type of situation. Again, sorry you had this experience.