Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tesla hate.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that part of it is that many people believe all Teslas are $100,000 cars. Model 3, Model S - they are all the same. Then again there are so many other $100,000 cars around here that I’m not sure.

What I do notice is that if I am at a stop light and it turns green, the person behind me immediately honks their horn. 99% of the time I’m already starting to move, but people seem as if they want to tell me “get out of the way.”

If there is Tesla “hate” it likely has to do with backlash about what people don't understand. Teslas are different, and thats all they care about - and dislike. They probably think that all EVs are slow and slow down traffic. Boy, are they wrong!

• Funny
Reactions: Joshan
Think this might be more of a San Francisco thing than a Tesla thing.

Police there are instructed to not interfer with people doing things like this. Breaking windows to look inside trunks is also a non issue for the authorities. People can steal up to $940 from stores, and also not be prosecuted.

San Francisco is a santuary city for everybody but their law abiding citizens. Criminals no longer rear consequences for their actions. In addition they give away free needles to junkies. Most popular tourist locations are thick with criminals.

Tesla has very much become political fodder. I've had random people come up to tell me that my car pollutes more than ICE. This narrative is clearly a political one.

I've resorted to sticking a Sig Sauer decal on my back windshield. Best decision ever. I've seen more than one MAGA truck tail me to check out the sticker then pull up next to me to see how such a human could exist.

In reality, I think there are plenty of eco-conscious people who also are gun lovers, but that clearly doesn't jive with the Team Red vs Blue model.

Think this might be more of a San Francisco thing than a Tesla thing.

Police there are instructed to not interfer with people doing things like this. Breaking windows to look inside trunks is also a non issue for the authorities. People can steal up to $940 from stores, and also not be prosecuted.

San Francisco is a santuary city for everybody but their law abiding citizens. Criminals no longer rear consequences for their actions. In addition they give away free needles to junkies. Most popular tourist locations are thick with criminals.

This response seems a little off topic and also invites an argument about the accuracy of many of these statements. As a California native and Bay Area resident, I feel compelled to briefly respond to them.

It seems like people continuously parrot talking points about the impact of Prop. 47 that aren’t connected to reality. Theft is still a crime, auto burglaries are still a crime, etc. SF definitely has its challenges, but this comment doesn’t accurately describe them. I am out in SF all of the time, including some of the locations with more challenges when it comes to homelessness and drug abuse, and have not been surrounded by criminals.

Couple things to consider.
Self-righteous EV owners.
Class warfare being propogated for political gain.

You look at those two things and you will find the roots of what little "Tesla hate" exists.

Median income as of a year or so ago was like $55k for a family of 4, that isn't buying even a used Tesla, so if you drive a Tesla you are doing well. Not to say rich, but if driving a Tesla you are solidly above median household income.

We have a media and roughly half the political class who want to gain more power by saying "elect me and I will take the other guys money".

This response seems a little off topic and also invites an argument about the accuracy of many of these statements. As a California native and Bay Area resident, I feel compelled to briefly respond to them.

It seems like people continuously parrot talking points about the impact of Prop. 47 that aren’t connected to reality. Theft is still a crime, auto burglaries are still a crime, etc. SF definitely has its challenges, but this comment doesn’t accurately describe them. I am out in SF all of the time, including some of the locations with more challenges when it comes to homelessness and drug abuse, and have not been surrounded by criminals.

Agreed. Let's leave California out of it. We've got lots of flaws here but this discussion is not one of them.

I think that this is purely EV hate - not even about Tesla. It's certainly not about money as around here lots of people have a lot to spend.

EVs are changing the automobile landscape - not a lot right now, but people can see it coming. If anything it's about the EVs that are not Teslas - as they tend to be smaller, far less powerful, etc. We're talking about the kind of EV's that can barely get out of your way they are so underpowered. Model 3's have only a logo on them, and people likely don't even know that it is a Tesla logo.

Unless you've driven a Tesla (or had a "demonstration"), you don't know that they can kick serious butt on the road. Given that I have a stealth, I've occasionally lost my cool and shown them how fast I can put space between us. I've got to cool it doing that!:D

I have Fire Fighter plates on my Model 3. For the most part people leave me alone. I thought about getting an EV plate, but I think that invites attention. People respect Fire Fighters. Just saying.

• Love
Reactions: E Dizzle and jkoya
Tesla has very much become political fodder. I've had random people come up to tell me that my car pollutes more than ICE. This narrative is clearly a political one.

I've resorted to sticking a Sig Sauer decal on my back windshield. Best decision ever. I've seen more than one MAGA truck tail me to check out the sticker then pull up next to me to see how such a human could exist.

In reality, I think there are plenty of eco-conscious people who also are gun lovers, but that clearly doesn't jive with the Team Red vs Blue model.

I got a kick out of your sticker move. I think I am in a rare place as I will soon have my Model 3 and it's going to park right next to my loud and obnoxious oil burning Harley Davidson. I am going to tenderly love each of them for what they are. I was thinking about putting a "my other ride is a Harley Davidson" sticker on my bumper ( ok, not going to happen but still). just to rile up the easily offended.

Reactions: nvx1977
Awaiting delivery of our Model 3, thinking a S&W sticker or veteran license plate might be in order. ;-)

I think a lot of folks out there are probably like I was a few months ago- saw Teslas as a curiosity, never any hate, just didn't know and never considered owning or looking at one. We had been planning to get my wife a Lexus or BMW (yawn), til my coworkers wife came by the office in her new red P3D+ with 30 day tags. She took the time to show it to me and take me on a hell ride. I was sold instantly and my wife was easily convinced. Until that time (Oct '19), I had no idea what Teslas were like or capable of. We researched the next few months and placed our order 1/19.

We didn't make the choice for any eco/green or political stance AT ALL. We just thought it's a cool car, a better choice than what we had been considering, a hell of a lot quicker, with a lower operation cost as a bonus. We'll still have 2 gas sucking V8's in the driveway that have their purpose, but the Tesla will serve us well for what we need it for. The more we learn about it, the more solid we are in our decision to purchase it.

All that said, I think a lot of people are still learning what Teslas are all about. I bet a lot of the haters would come around too if they only took the time to look.

PS- That delivery date can't get here soon enough...

Reactions: nvx1977
I think that this is purely EV hate - not even about Tesla. It's certainly not about money as around here lots of people have a lot to spend.

I'm not sure there's as much hate for Leafs or these:

2013-fiat-500_100424914.jpg

1) If you work in the oil industry we are threatening your livelihood because we no longer require your fuel.

2) If you work for any other car dealer you are bummed out because you actually have to sell your cars whereas Teslas sell themselves.

3) If you work for another car manufacturer you are bothered because EVs require less labor and we are threatening your jobs.

4) If you own a car dealer you are bothered we did not buy a car from your dealership and even more bothered that we don’t require routine maintenance for your service department.

5) If you own an ICE vehicle you are bothered that our cars are so much faster than yours even though they cost a fraction of the price to operate.

6) If you own a smog check shop you are bothered that we will never visit your establishment.

7) If you own another brand of EV you are bothered that you were dumb enough to buy one of those instead of a Tesla.

So when you add it all up, it’s gotta be something like 90% of the population that has reason to hate us.

I have my own personal hate fan club at work. At almost every morning meeting they regurgitate the latest fake news to me and try to make me feel like I've made a bad purchase. One guy claims terrorists will hack into my car and use it as a weapon. I'm getting tired of the comments like "Be safe driving home, hope your car doesn't kill you on the way." Best car I've ever owned.

Thank god i've never had this issue, but my accountant coworker's Prius was keyed within the first couple of weeks we moved offices. Her spot is right next to mine and I didn't see anything on the Camaro. I suppose this could fit into the narrative that fuel efficient cars are targeted? I always assumed my gas guzzler would be a target but then I remember I live in the Phoenix area and not the Bay Area.

Great thread here.

It's clear to me from my experience and observing human behavior that people do have biases, and some of those biases inspire hate, jealousy, and rage. When those biases are built on ignorance, misinformation, and disinformation, the hate can go to 11. When humans are fed all of the above and also feel threatened, that fight or flight response can be....irrational.

Others have touched on this, but EVs in general are a threat to the status quo. Anyone connected to or whose income or lifestyle is affected by the status quo might feel threatened and for good reason. A small subset of those feeling threatened might feel moved to voice their displeasure, rage on forums, or key a car. This is true for those who hate anything for any reason. A small subset are moved to vandalism, violence, and worse. We've seen it all throughout history, from the fear of anesthesia (the powers that be fought this bitterly), reproductive choice, the fight for legal equality, and even powered flight. Yes, powered flight had its detractors.

Some people will associate a Tesla with a socio-economic status that triggers jealousy or rage, no matter how hard (or smart) someone worked to get a Tesla. Some will associate Teslas with a political view that's not as clear with an unmarked Honda Civic. But, a Civic in 1978 was still inspiring anti-Japanese sentiments (being closer to WWII) than it does today. My Dad and I would go back and forth on this, in a good-natured fashion, but he still had his biases all the same. The funny thing is that he was an early-adopter of Japanese cars despite holding some residual bias against them. He had a Toyota Corolla in 1970!

Obviously there is a plurality of nuanced political views associated with Teslas, but it's not like vandals are high arbiters of nuance. The ignorance and disinformation simply fuels the extremes. If some person becomes enraged by the latest eco warrior and sees a Tesla, this could be an obvious trigger for some.

Teslas are faster than all but the most built-up or expensive ICE cars. This is insult to injury for those susceptible to being triggered by this display of superior velocity. Some people tie their identities so closely to their cars that this can send some in to vandal mode.

So, now we have a paradigm change, political association assumptions/triggers, and Teslas can physically beat other cars in a race which perhaps pushes the metaphor too far for some. At least Priuses had the dignity of being slow (with a demographic not known for lead feet).

As a former smart (car) driver, people would sometimes attempt to 'push me around' because my car's avatar was so tiny. It's like being in the body of a kitten around elephants. The thing is, I don't drive like someone who is passive, which is one of the reasons I sold it and got the FIAT 500 Abarth. I also ride sportbikes in California where lane-sharing is permissible, and some people hate us just for having this perk (on top of being able to use the HOV lane solo, without stickers).

I don't think this targeted hate is remarkable or unusual for humans. They often hate what they fear and don't understand, and this is historically demonstrable well beyond the purview of vehicles. This too shall pass, until the next novel game-changer happens along.

Last edited: