Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TESLA Headed for Lack of Cash Again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The stock price hasn't been "all over the map" since the announcement. It has been very down. Regardless this is not just an issue with the stock price. If the model Y doesn't generate a lot of presales, that will be a hunk of cash Tesla won't have. More important is the issue of demand. Sure the model Y should sell better than the model 3, but in the next 2 years the model 3 is all Tesla will have to sell in volume. If they survive that long, the model Y will need to be a big shot in the arm to help them finance the next vehicle into production.

Yes, the stock is volatile. The fact that you are making money on it shows you don't believe it is a solid stock. Something good has to happen to make money being long. Recently it has all been bad and there is plenty of potential for bad news to come. Musk talks like he wants to have a shootout at the OK corral with the SEC. It is hard to imagine how that will end other than badly.

I'm starting to be fearful of how the quarter will end. Maybe things will turn for the better in Q2.

BTW, please don't call me a troll. I realize that there are a lot of fanbois here who don't want to face reality. But talking about the reality that Tesla faces doesn't mean I'm trolling. Trolling is trying to stir up controversy. I would be happier if the irrational, emotional Tesla fanbois would just stay quiet so a decent conversation can be had.

In several of your post you’re very confused over a simple point.

You keep pointing out how Tesla missed their estimated production targets. You seem to think this is an important point and it’s not.

At your high school did they give out first place to the athletes that came closest to guessing how quickly they were going to run the race, instead of the one who won it?

When did this very odd fascination for how accurate estimates are occur in your life? Have you always looked up to good estimators?

Do you picture GM board meeting going like the following:

“We hit our ramp of the Bolt to 25k/year exactly like we planned. Those complete losers over at Tesla took longer than they said it would to outsell us by a factor of 10. What a joke. We are far superior estimators!”

In several of your post you’re very confused over a simple point.

You keep pointing out how Tesla missed their estimated production targets. You seem to think this is an important point and it’s not.

At your high school did they give out first place to the athletes that came closest to guessing how quickly they were going to run the race, instead of the one who won it?

When did this very odd fascination for how accurate estimates are occur in your life? Have you always looked up to good estimators?

Do you picture GM board meeting going like the following:

“We hit our ramp of the Bolt to 25k/year exactly like we planned. Those complete losers over at Tesla took longer than they said it would to outsell us by a factor of 10. What a joke. We are far superior estimators!”

Clearly you know little about the stock market. When a company announces projections for production, profit, etc. the price of the stock adjusts as people buy and sell. When those numbers are met, people feel confident and the price can go up providing profit for the present investors. If those numbers are not met, the price will adjust again (obviously negative) and the market continues, but now investors have lost money. That's important.

Aside from that, a company must plan their path forward. They need to know how many people to hire, how much equipment to invest in, how many parts to order, how much cash they will need, etc, etc, etc... When they fail to anticipate the future, it can cause problems and in severe cases cause shortfalls in cash which can end a company.

Yeah, running a large corporation doesn't have much in common with running a race in high school. But it does have a lot in common with winning the Super Bowl. They plan and measure and estimate and do everything important to succeed.

I really don't get why people take exception to discussing the facts of how Tesla is performing and is being run. These are facts that are important to running the company. Why is that a problem?

• Disagree
Reactions: replicant
Telsa is executing on the most important parts of running the company already. Exact growth targets are secondary to that. As we have already seen the company has adjusted their forward looking guidance in a more traditional manner - that is providing less of it.

Yes, and notice the stock has dropped very significantly over the last weeks. This will have a very significant impact if Tesla returns to the market to raise money or seeks other than capital secured debt. Providing targets are expected by wall street and they expect companies to be able to meet their targets.

Musk stated extremely clearly and emphatically that Tesla was going to fund everything from internally generated capital, Chinese bank loans, and standard lines of credit from now on. And I think it's a deliberate F-U to Wall Street, who have treated him quite badly.

That is great to talk about, but at some point he may find that the "best laid plans"... It's always good to not burn bridges. I don't have any idea what it would mean that "Wall Street" treated anyone badly. Wall Street is a collective of millions or billions of people all voting with dollars. If you aren't happy with that idea, don't take a corporation public.

That is great to talk about, but at some point he may find that the "best laid plans"... It's always good to not burn bridges. I don't have any idea what it would mean that "Wall Street" treated anyone badly. Wall Street is a collective of millions or billions of people all voting with dollars. If you aren't happy with that idea, don't take a corporation public.

Price goes up and down in Stock Market without any reason, it's all MM.

Fed rate goes up, market goes up because the economy is great.

Fed rate goes up, market goes down because cost of doing business is higher now.

Whatever excuses they can come up with. It's not black and white.

You make money in stock market

1/ buy low sell high
2/ buy high sell higher.

Without Tesla, we will still drive ICE, and controlled by oil company.

Without SpaceX … oh well you know what I mean.

Elon is doing lots of things outside the box for better or worse, and Tesla will still be around, if it needs to be supported by China, oh no..

Btw, the gigafactory in china is being built 24/7.

Musk stated extremely clearly and emphatically that Tesla was going to fund everything from internally generated capital, Chinese bank loans, and standard lines of credit from now on. And I think it's a deliberate F-U to Wall Street, who have treated him quite badly.

The biggest risk is right there. Will communist China have any unwarranted influence on Tesla? Will they steal secret from an American company? China is ALWAYS trying to steal, that will not stop.

• Disagree
Reactions: replicant
The biggest risk is right there. Will communist China have any unwarranted influence on Tesla? Will they steal secret from an American company? China is ALWAYS trying to steal, that will not stop.

Uh, Tesla has said they will make their patents available to anyone who wished to use them. No need to steal if you give it away. I'm just sayin'...

You have been accused several times of being a troll, and you certainly aren't disabusing those accusers of their notions. But just in case there is another reader whom you truly have befuddled: what this poster is disingenuously omitting is that what is referred to as "Wall Street" is not the investment community, rather it is the investment banking community. It is they who make their fattest profits when a firm comes to Wall St to raise capital, and it is they who thereupon stand to lose if a company like Tesla no longer has any need for their services. It's really not rocket science, folks....

Uh, Tesla has said they will make their patents available to anyone who wished to use them. No need to steal if you give it away. I'm just sayin'...
You may be just sayin' that....but neither Tesla nor Musk ever did. You disingenuously (once again) omitted the all-important "...in good faith &c, &c" portion of Tesla's pronouncement.

Just sayin'

You have been accused several times of being a troll, and you certainly aren't disabusing those accusers of their notions. But just in case there is another reader whom you truly have befuddled: what this poster is disingenuously omitting is that what is referred to as "Wall Street" is not the investment community, rather it is the investment banking community. It is they who make their fattest profits when a firm comes to Wall St to raise capital, and it is they who thereupon stand to lose if a company like Tesla no longer has any need for their services. It's really not rocket science, folks....

And yet you still didn't say what it means that "Wall Street" treated Tesla badly. Who's the troll?

You may be just sayin' that....but neither Tesla nor Musk ever did. You disingenuously (once again) omitted the all-important "...in good faith &c, &c" portion of Tesla's pronouncement.

Just sayin'

Uh, that's only because no one asked to use their patents. I"m just sayin'...

Your first non-answer suggests you've no exposure to the investment banks' research reports, nor knowledge of the short-selling shenanigans that have occurred over the past years. How sweet it must be to be so innocent.

Your second non-answer is not even a reply. It's hardly even a non-sequitur. It certainly is meaningless.

Your first non-answer suggests you've no exposure to the investment banks' research reports, nor knowledge of the short-selling shenanigans that have occurred over the past years. How sweet it must be to be so innocent.

Your second non-answer is not even a reply. It's hardly even a non-sequitur. It certainly is meaningless.

And your reply is purely ad hominem...

Actually, AudubonB was specifically referencing what you said and your clear lack of knowledge in the area. I've been watching this whole thread for a while wondering whether you'd actually make any worthwhile points related to the title. 7 pages later and I'm still waiting. And just a little hint. If you don't want people to ridicule you and don't want to have to play the "ad hominem" card, don't end sentences with "just sayin' ". Because it's very patronising and you'll get the same kind of thing back.

Actually, AudubonB was specifically referencing what you said and your clear lack of knowledge in the area. I've been watching this whole thread for a while wondering whether you'd actually make any worthwhile points related to the title. 7 pages later and I'm still waiting. And just a little hint. If you don't want people to ridicule you and don't want to have to play the "ad hominem" card, don't end sentences with "just sayin' ". Because it's very patronising and you'll get the same kind of thing back.

Exactly. If you had actually paid attention to what you read, you would have noticed I was responding to the comment, "just sayin". Perhaps you need to read 7 pages again, a bit more carefully.

Oh, and your post was also not relevant to the facts, yet another ad hominem.

Meanwhile a see more analysts lowering their Q1 projections. At 270 a share, the lower expectations may be priced in. That doesn't make any difference to the reality of Tesla cash flow or profits. I see a projection of a loss of $0.64 per share. While not huge, it's not what I would call a "small" loss. Still, what really matters is if this is a one quarter glitch or not. It will be over a month before we hear Tesla's projection for Q2.

Clearly you know little about the stock market. When a company announces projections for production, profit, etc. the price of the stock adjusts as people buy and sell. When those numbers are met, people feel confident and the price can go up providing profit for the present investors. If those numbers are not met, the price will adjust again (obviously negative) and the market continues, but now investors have lost money. That's important.

Aside from that, a company must plan their path forward. They need to know how many people to hire, how much equipment to invest in, how many parts to order, how much cash they will need, etc, etc, etc... When they fail to anticipate the future, it can cause problems and in severe cases cause shortfalls in cash which can end a company.

Yeah, running a large corporation doesn't have much in common with running a race in high school. But it does have a lot in common with winning the Super Bowl. They plan and measure and estimate and do everything important to succeed.

I really don't get why people take exception to discussing the facts of how Tesla is performing and is being run. These are facts that are important to running the company. Why is that a problem?

Elon is aiming to land humans on Mars by 2024. By your criterion, if he doesn’t make until 2026 it will be a huge failure, whereas if United Launch Alliance shoots for 2124 and makes it by 2122, then you think they will be a success.

Hey look. ULA beat their target by 2 years. SpaceX was 2 years late. What losers!. They can’t estimate to save their lives!

Last edited:
Reactions: riverFox
Status
Not open for further replies.