Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla home charger work on my Chevy Bolt?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Future Model Y owner, just placed the order today for Black on Black. I had driven the model 3 before buying the Bolt and, well, meh. But today I test drove the Y. Very quiet and smooth even with the 20" tires. So very happy with this purchase. The main reason for moving to Tesla is the charging network. It is too stressful to travel with the Bolt and charge at the Walmarts, they never work.

I charge the Bolt with the Chevy L2 but was looking at the Tesla charger.

Does anyone have experience with the Tesla charger on other EVs? I'm not looking to fast charge the Bolt at home, it charges overnight fast enough.

The connector picture is attached. Is there an adapter from Tesla plug to Bolt type?

Thanks for your help!

Keith
Houston

Attachments

• 20210607_162859.jpg
    20210607_162859.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 224
I believe so. Chevy Volt uses J1772, and you would need to get a tesla -> j1772 adapter. In the Tesla configuration you can set it to allow charging of non-tesla and tesla or tesla only, so i would think it would support the volt as long as you have that adapter.

The Tesla Wall Connector is a good option for charging your Tesla vehicle at home at up to 48 amps (requires a 60 amp circuit) but can also be used with 50/40/30/20 amp circuits. The charging cord on the Wall Connector is 18.5 ft long. If you need a longer charging cord (i.e., 24 to 25 ft) you may be better off with a non-Tesla Level 2 EVSE that has the longer cord and use the Tesla J1772 adapter that comes with every Tesla vehicle.

Future Model Y owner, just placed the order today for Black on Black. I had driven the model 3 before buying the Bolt and, well, meh. But today I test drove the Y. Very quiet and smooth even with the 20" tires. So very happy with this purchase. The main reason for moving to Tesla is the charging network. It is too stressful to travel with the Bolt and charge at the Walmarts, they never work.

I charge the Bolt with the Chevy L2 but was looking at the Tesla charger.

Does anyone have experience with the Tesla charger on other EVs? I'm not looking to fast charge the Bolt at home, it charges overnight fast enough.

The connector picture is attached. Is there an adapter from Tesla plug to Bolt type?

Thanks for your help!

Keith
Houston
I had a Bolt as my daily driver for 2 1/2 years. I loved the Bolt but needed a bit more room and AWD so I sold the Bolt and my Outback and the Model Y is now the everything vehicle. I charged the Bolt with the L2 and charge the Y at home with 1772 Tesla adapter and it works fine, charging at ~ 30 Miles/hour, so it easily charges overnight.

• Informative
Reactions: colea