Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla increases the price of the Powerwall as demand greatly outpaces production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I too couldn't figure out why I may need Powerwalls. I am in SF Bay Area with solar and 2 EVs. I am on PG&E EVA rate, so I sent solar generated power to PG&E during peak hours at $0.48/kwh and charge EVs at night at $0.12/kwh. I have always had credit left at true up.

In my situation, I am wondering how Powerwalls may help. The only thing I can think of is for power outage, but it is very rare (I haven't seen it for a few years) and I can live without power for a few hours or even a couple of days. If I really need power, I could use a 2.5kw power inverter to connect to either my MX 100D or RAV4 EV (with 40kwh Tesla battery) DC to DC converter (12V battery posts) and power my house for weeks (for lighting, refrigerator, computers and home entertainment systems, etc. except for AC).

I too am in Bay Area with 11 KW of solar, 2 EVs, on PG&E solar rate. I get paid at true up.

But for some reason this year, PG&E decided that sending power to me in Napa Valley was too risky when the wind blows (glad you never have wind there) They cut off my power for hours at a time, whole days at a time, on a whim that there might be wind coming, and when it was noted that the wind was not any more than 40 mph gusts, they turned it back on -- the next day. Your fantasy about using a 12 volt battery to power your house makes me smile. I use power to supply my water, pump my septic, etc. and normally use near 30 kWh per day. Being without power only from 8 PM to 8 PM puts a crimp in everything. Freezer starts melting, Frig gets warm, no heat (fan) or AC, no water (pressure tank) so you can only flush once, that's it folks! No lights, no computer, no email (sure, I know, use my phone), no phone charger (sure, plug into car, get 5% per hour, but have to leave car on), no TV, no news of fires coming toward my house (oh, right, use my phone which is in the car charging). AND NO WARNING, so can't even fill buckets for flushing or pans for drinking.

This happens every year, at least 3 times a year. It's a pain in the outlets. You oughta try it!

Three Powerwalls (what I've ordered over a year ago) would keep us going a day, maybe two if we're really careful. That's how Powerwalls help. Glad you've never needed them.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J
I too am in Bay Area with 11 KW of solar, 2 EVs, on PG&E solar rate. I get paid at true up.

But for some reason this year, PG&E decided that sending power to me in Napa Valley was too risky when the wind blows (glad you never have wind there) They cut off my power for hours at a time, whole days at a time, on a whim that there might be wind coming, and when it was noted that the wind was not any more than 40 mph gusts, they turned it back on -- the next day. Your fantasy about using a 12 volt battery to power your house makes me smile. I use power to supply my water, pump my septic, etc. and normally use near 30 kWh per day. Being without power only from 8 PM to 8 PM puts a crimp in everything. Freezer starts melting, Frig gets warm, no heat (fan) or AC, no water (pressure tank) so you can only flush once, that's it folks! No lights, no computer, no email (sure, I know, use my phone), no phone charger (sure, plug into car, get 5% per hour, but have to leave car on), no TV, no news of fires coming toward my house (oh, right, use my phone which is in the car charging). AND NO WARNING, so can't even fill buckets for flushing or pans for drinking.

This happens every year, at least 3 times a year. It's a pain in the outlets. You oughta try it!

Three Powerwalls (what I've ordered over a year ago) would keep us going a day, maybe two if we're really careful. That's how Powerwalls help. Glad you've never needed them.
PGE (and other California utilities) have started shutting off power whenever there is wind. The Santa Rosa fires (and probably the Camp fire) were started by shorted electric wires. They are liable when they start a fire. This is a reality that we all will need to accept for the future. Often these outages last multiple days until the wind dies down and they repair all the lines.
A home Tesla Powerwall is the best way to weather these outages.
That's why I have ordered one. It will use my solar to charge during the day and I can run my essential loads at night. Theoretically, it it's sized properly, you could go indefinitely by managing your local loads.

Thanks for the info, now I understand that it makes sense for people having frequent power outages and need power for more things in the house. For me, I only need it for fridge, lights (all LEDs) and internet.

Internet!!! As people that work from home in tech that is our most important external connection. Tesla, here is $10,000. Ensure the internet and computers stays up 24/7!!

Didn't you get the messages on the phone, in letters, and with your bill from PG&E warning you they would cut power if they thought their lines would arc in the wind. I think I got at least 4 or 5 letter going over this.

Given the Napa fire I can understand their position. And if that caused the Camp Fire I suspect they will cut power much more often every fall.

I hope you get your Powerwalls soon.