Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Insurance Claim Check Bounced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A very brief update.

This morning I received an email saying that "due to a technical error" the new check was not sent via overnight and instead would go out regular mail. I immediately emailed back asking to please cancel that check and overnight a new check, to which I got an "out of office until the 21st" automated reply.
Add this to your complaint with the regulator. This is classic BS

A very brief update.

This morning I received an email saying that "due to a technical error" the new check was not sent via overnight and instead would go out regular mail. I immediately emailed back asking to please cancel that check and overnight a new check, to which I got an "out of office until the 21st" automated reply.
Perhaps Tesla wants to push the expense to the next quarter, so Elon can claim more profit for this quarter? Game of pennies, as Elon said, and I assume there are a lot of pennies involved, not to mention some more pennies in interest which Tesla gets to claim as profit too. I know it sounds ridiculous for an S&P 500 company, but after all the other crap Elon has pulled with Tesla to-date, I wouldn't put this past him, or his staff who are given very clear orders to save every penny anywhere they can.

Tesla is utterly incompetent at everything it does. File a complaint.
Oh come on, they are very good and competent and hyping up the product, selling vaporware, attracting new customers - generally anything that involved taking in money. They are not so good at anything which costs them money, like service, delivering on time, fulfilling promises, delivering on published specifications (although they very quickly got good very good at ludicrous excuses, like "some part of the car we sold you is capable of the specification we published, but not all of your car", or, "the yellow screen on your 6 months old car is your own fault for exposing the screen to oxygen", or "nobody can predict when we'll deliver this feature we sold you in 2016"). ;)

• Love
Reactions: AMPd and cwerdna
A poor customer service experience, yes, but no reason to run to regulators and file complaints. This is not malicious...
You do realize the regulators also deal with incompetent companies, or even ones violating regulations by total accident? I think you might be confusing regulators with the police (or other law enforcement agency). A single incident will not result in anything earthshattering for Tesla, but if the regulators see this happening often, they will intervene. There is no way for a single customer to know is this is regular practice, or a one-off, never happened before or since, error. That is why every customer should report it, and let the regulators decide what to do with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: cwerdna
I do hope I get the claim amount plus the NSF charge the bank assessed me.
A situation like this could have caused you to bounce other payments, which it turn could cost you thousands in penalty interest (say you have a $25K balance on a credit card, which you intend to pay interest only for years, and this bounced payment caused your rate to go from 1% to 30%). I wonder how much Tesla charges for bounced payments, NSF checks, etc. They should at least pay their own customers the same fees they would charge customers who bounce payments to Tesla.

Reactions: m a x i m u s
@eJonny - I am sure it will all work out for you and agree you shouldn't have had this odd experience in the first place. Best wishes.
Did you mean that you are sure that after @eJonny spends a bunch of effort straightening it all out, eventually he will get the original amount, but no compensation for any of the effort spent to straighten it all out, interest on the money he should have earned, possibly not even the NSF charge? Or are you somehow certain that if @eJonny did absolutely nothing, everything magically would have just appeared in the right accounts, payments would have made themselves, etc?

Last edited:
Did you mean that you are sure that after @eJonny spends a bunch of effort straightening it all out, eventually he will get the original amount, but no compensation for any of the effort spent to straighten it all out, interest on the money he should have earned, possibly not even the NSF charge? Or are you somehow certain that if @eJonny did absolutely nothing, everything magically would have just appeared in the right accounts, payments would have made themselves, etc?
Yes, thank you. After working in jobs/environments on all sides of issues like this one it was practical advice from personal and professional experience.

Here's a quick update on the bounced check. After a number of phone calls (I'll update the primary thread on this sequence of incredible blunders), I was finally assured yesterday that a check would be cut and sent overnight. I received a tracking number yesterday and it is on track to deliver today. I'll deposit the check immediately and confirm that the check cleared and update this thread.

Here's a quick update on the bounced check. After a number of phone calls (I'll update the primary thread on this sequence of incredible blunders), I was finally assured yesterday that a check would be cut and sent overnight. I received a tracking number yesterday and it is on track to deliver today. I'll deposit the check immediately and confirm that the check cleared and update this thread.

If you end up getting stacks of hundred dollar bills, make sure you take a careful look at Franklin's face. If it looks a lot like Elon, then they screwed you over again.

Seriously, hope you get a legit check this time!

• Funny
Reactions: dipper
A situation like this could have caused you to bounce other payments, which it turn could cost you thousands in penalty interest (say you have a $25K balance on a credit card, which you intend to pay interest only for years, and this bounced payment caused your rate to go from 1% to 30%). I wonder how much Tesla charges for bounced payments, NSF checks, etc. They should at least pay their own customers the same fees they would charge customers who bounce payments to Tesla.
Back when Tesla was a good company I had my lease payments set up to auto pay, they charged me twice in one month. I called Tesla finance and spoke to a nice lady who offered to pay any overdraft fees that I may have had because of the extra charge. Wasn’t a big deal but I thought it was a nice gesture. Sad to see things have changed to a “sucks 4 you” attitude at Tesla.

It does not surprise me. Tesla seema to do it best to screw the customer. A few examples. When I tried to buy a pre-owned Model S from Tesla their website stated it would have lifetime free super charging when I received the contract to sign no one on the contract did it mention free super charging and of course the car had been removed from their website. When I reached to my salesperson they were not able to confirm the car came with free super charging. Fortunately I had made a snip it of the car on their website which showed the free super charging. I had to send Tesla this proof in order for them to honor the free super charging otherwise I was SOL. After this fun experience I setup a delivery date to pick up the car in upstate N.Y. which is about a four hour drive away. The night before I was told Tesla does not have the Bill of Sale and have no idea when it will arrive so I cancelled my order. Fast forward a year after looking at pre-owned I pulled the trigger on a brand new 2019 Model 3. The day after I picked the car up Tesla sneakily starts offering 2 year free unlimited super charging or $2,500 in free options. When I contact my sales advisor they say this is not the case. Once I receive confirmation from another owner who sent the promotion they received only than did Tesla say they would honor the promotion. Keep in mind they ahvebthe 7 day return policy so I could have returned it but than would have had to purchase an upgraded or different model 3. I waited for the 2 year free super charging to hit my account but saw nothing after a month so starting reaching to my sales person. She was able to get confirmation in the form of an internal email but still no free super charging. This went for 6 months with constant following up with my sales advisor and even visiting the manager at my local Tesla store. According to them they have no way to call anyone and can only email. After six months of this BS I write letters to Tesla officers and only than did a nice Tesla employee from California reach out to me and within two days my account was updated with free unlimited super charging for two years. Most people probably would have just given up but I was not going to let Tesla get away with it. The Tesla mentality seems to be offer a lot than make sure notn

It does not surprise me. Tesla seems to do its best to screw the customer. A few examples. When I tried to buy a pre-owned Model S from Tesla their website stated it would have lifetime free super charging when I received the contract to sign no where on the contract did it mention free super charging. The car had been removed from their website once I bought it. When I reached out to my salesperson they were not able to confirm the car came with free super charging. It would seem they should be able to have access to the previous information that was in their website. Fortunately I had made a snip it of the car on their website before I bought it which showed the free super charging. I had to send Tesla this proof in order for them to honor the free super charging otherwise I was SOL. After this fun experience I setup a delivery date to pick up the car in upstate N.Y. which is about a four hour drive away. The night before I was told Tesla does not have the Bill of Sale and has no idea when it will arrive so I cancelled my order. Fast forward a year after looking at pre-owned I pulled the trigger on a brand new 2019 Model 3. The day after I picked the car up Tesla sneakily starts offering 2 year free unlimited super charging or $2,500 in free options. This was not advertised and only the Tesla stores were offering it. When I contacted my sales advisor they said this is not the case. Tesla is not offering this promotion. Once I receive confirmation from another owner who sent the promotion they received on the car they purchased only than did Tesla say they would honor the promotion. Keep in mind they have a 7 day return policy so I could have returned it but than would have had to purchase an upgraded or different model 3 and tj promotion was only being offered for a short time to push up the end of the 3rd quarter numbers. I waited for the 2 year free super charging to hit my account but saw nothing after a month so started reaching out to my sales person. She was able to get confirmation in the form of an internal email but still no free super charging. I had my sales advisor send me this internal email confirming the free super charging. This went on for 6 months with constant following up with my sales advisor and even visiting the manager at my local Tesla store. According to them they have no way to call anyone and can only email. After six months of this BS I wrote letters to the Tesla officers in California and only than did a nice Tesla employee from California reach out to me and within two days my account was updated with free unlimited super charging for two years. Thankfully I had the internal email confirming the free super charging. Most people probably would have just given up but I was not going to let Tesla get away with it. The Tesla mentality seems to be offer a lot than make sure not to deliver or try to get away with screwing the customer. I have heard this also happens with Tesla slowing down charging speeds for lifetime free super charging owners. Sorry to hijack your post but back to the insurance issue it just seems like another way Tesla makes it more difficult to pay you the money they owe.

On the positive side I love my Model 3.

Unfortunately i appear to be in same situation. For one i found out my car was essentially totaled by calling the body shop not from my adjuster. Car was dropped off 17th called body shop 31st. Then called adjuster who said essentially waiting on loss adjuster but it likely totaled. On 7th he emails to apologize for taking so long but appraisal viewed vehicle and expects report by end of day. End of day passes, nothing. I call on 10th and he said by end of day and will work through weekend. Monday comes and nothing. Call but no one picks up as it’s been 30 days now so my rental unit is up. The actual issue is my car has technically not been declared a loss yet even though 45K in repairs and new battery needed on 61K car so monthly payment and registration renewal due. With no car do i order a new car, go out and buy another car or buy a clunker if they decide by some off chance to fix it and make me wait another 2 months or borrow someone else’s car in mean time. (I’ve already ordered a new Tesla as i don’t need the check from the other one to buy a new car)

I haven't gone that route yet, as, up to this point, Tesla Insurance has fulfilled their obligations.

I'm not sure that poor customer service from Tesla Insurance (their lead employee stopped responding to my emails) warrants a complaint. They have very poor customer service, they don't follow up, and although their outsourced adjusters are better, Tesla Insurance has very few systems to track status, what appears to be very poor internal escalation management and few if any procedural checks on process and quality assurance.

But is that a reason to file a complaint with the insurance commissioner? It's a sincere question as you aren't the first to suggest that I file a complaint with the California State Insurance commission.
Yes, any time you face an issue like this (bounced check no matter the reasons).

Unfortunately i appear to be in same situation. For one i found out my car was essentially totaled by calling the body shop not from my adjuster. Car was dropped off 17th called body shop 31st. Then called adjuster who said essentially waiting on loss adjuster but it likely totaled. On 7th he emails to apologize for taking so long but appraisal viewed vehicle and expects report by end of day. End of day passes, nothing. I call on 10th and he said by end of day and will work through weekend. Monday comes and nothing. Call but no one picks up as it’s been 30 days now so my rental unit is up. The actual issue is my car has technically not been declared a loss yet even though 45K in repairs and new battery needed on 61K car so monthly payment and registration renewal due. With no car do i order a new car, go out and buy another car or buy a clunker if they decide by some off chance to fix it and make me wait another 2 months or borrow someone else’s car in mean time. (I’ve already ordered a new Tesla as i don’t need the check from the other one to buy a new car)
Was this with Tesla Insurance? I think they are a very different organization than Tesla Motors. Tesla Insurance seems designed to be dodgy. Who runs Tesla Insurance? There's no doubt who runs Tesla Motors. And if you ask employees of Tesla Insurance who runs Tesla Insurance they tell you that they are not authorized to release that information. Very dodgy organization. I wonder how they are related to someone with influence with Elon or the board.