Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Insurance Launches in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla has officially launched its own branded insurance product to customers in California.

The company said on Wednesday that Tesla Insurance will offer rates up to 30 percent lower than competitors.

“Because Tesla knows its vehicles best, Tesla Insurance is able to leverage the advanced technology, safety, and serviceability of our cars to provide insurance at a lower cost,” Tesla said in a blog post. “This pricing reflects the benefits of Tesla’s active safety and advanced driver assistance features that come standard on all new Tesla vehicles.”

Tesla says owners in California can purchase a policy in as little as one minute via tesla.com/insurance. For new vehicle orders, customers can request a quote prior to delivery once a VIN has been assigned to their Tesla Account.

Tesla said it plans to offer the product in other states soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I posted in the Investor thread:

2.75x what I pay now

2642/year Tesla
962/year State Farm

Differences include SF having slightly higher Bodily Injury limits(250k/500k vs 100k/300k), but I also have my deductibles set at double the cost of the Tesla plan (500/1000 vs 250/500)

Also have multi-car and home with SF.

Checked my price for the same coverage and mileage

Ameriprise 6 month on my 3: $804.87
Tesla 6 month on my 3: $1185.13

I am not signing up unless there is some really good benefit for the extra $$. Will be interested to watch how claims go with this. I suppose if you didnt have to argue with Tesla about using an approved shop or getting a rental for 3 months due to parts delays, maybe that would be worth it. OR if you get priority in the parts queue because now you are costing Tesla money when your part is delayed? Nah, that implies good communication chains internally.

Tesla must read this thread. This is what I get...

Attachments

• 48B9F525-C775-431F-AA1E-22C6E103E6DC.jpeg
    48B9F525-C775-431F-AA1E-22C6E103E6DC.jpeg
    474.6 KB · Views: 99
  • Funny
Reactions: Ulmo
Buying insurance from a company with no track record is a bit fraught. How well are they going to handle claims for example. Will they answer the phone? Do they have local adjusters?

I'd give it a while before jumping. All insurance companies are great until you need a payout, then comes the differentiation.

I'd take the small risk for a 20% savings. Tesla would not want to become a stingy payer, this is part of the mission in an overall effort to lower cost of ownership and get BEVs out to the mass market. So although payment and process could be difficult (at first), I bet they'll pay more often than my ins co. And maybe they replace dented panels vs repair them as well.

This is a no brainer... Arizona please!