Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Insurance Major Oversight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m posting this again because I believe i posed it to the wrong group last time.

I got a notice from the DMV that i don’t have proof of insurance and my car registration will be suspended in a month. The notice allows you to rectify this online but i followed the instructions and it didn’t work.

I called Tesla insurance and they told me that they are sorry but they haven’t figured out sending insurance info to the ca dmv (what??). I was told the only solution was to go into dmv and show proof of insurance. I told them that this was unacceptable but they said sorry, suck it.

This must be happening to other Tesla insurance holders in CA. Any input would be appreciated.

The form says you can mail in the proof of insurance but Tesla says no and that I have to waste my time at a DMV wtf??

Last edited:
Reactions: jasonsf
For what it's worth, several years ago my license got suspended by the CA DMV. Somehow, they concluded I did not have insurance. I called the DMV and arranged for a call back. When the call came in, I provided info on the insurance company and the policy number. And that was that. Or, you can arrange for a DMV appointment. With any luck it won't be too far in the future. Good luck.

Thanks but this is about the car registration, not my license. Tesla insurance admitted to me on the phone that they aren’t properly setup to send proof of insurance to the DMV which is CRAZY to me. There’s no way any other insurance company would be this incompetent.

I will be calling them (tesla insurance) on monday when there are more supervisors and managers available. Their mistake is going to cost customers their own time and $, and I’ve never heard of a reputable insurance company making their customers waste their time at a DMV to prove they are insured. W T F

I just got the same notice and am calling Tesla about it.

Not only did Tesla insurance not send any notices to the DMV they didn't even send one to my bank where the loan is taken with.

What the actual F&$*!!! The only part of your job I needed you to do so far was to take care of paperwork! Will this be a similar experience when I need actual help?

Just got off the phone and The rep told me "DMV doesnt believe Tesla is authorized to provide car insurance in California, so they aren't accepting our documents."

Then she tried to tell me to call back in a few days to see if its resolved. I told her I absolutely would not waste my time following up and doing Tesla Job. I asked her for a date when I could expect them to contact me that this matter is either resolved or not resolved.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
When i called just now the rep would make no commitment about how long it would take to resolve, nor did she ask for my letter from the DMV and say that they were taking care of it.

All I could get from her was that she would tell her manager, and call me back monday or tuesday.

To this point not 1 Tesla person except the service department when its time to get my car has ever called me back like they claimed they will. I'm not holding my breath. If they cant resolve it within a week, I'm cancelling my policy and asking for a refund.

I learned my lesson about calling over the weekend! During the week they have way more competent people handling things.

Screw it- here is the email of the nice lady that took care of it for me. She might not work on the weekends but shoot her an email from the address linked to your Tesla account (with a copy of the DMV letter) and she will take care of it!!

[email protected]

Last edited:
My registration was SUSPENDED today AFTER I sent in the proof, and had Tesla do it as well in response to the "Notice of Intent to Suspend"... DAMMIT

TeslaInsCard.jpeg

Last edited:
For what it's worth, several years ago my license got suspended by the CA DMV. Somehow, they concluded I did not have insurance. I called the DMV and arranged for a call back. When the call came in, I provided info on the insurance company and the policy number. And that was that. Or, you can arrange for a DMV appointment. With any luck it won't be too far in the future. Good luck.
OH YOU'LL LOVE THIS...

Per the DMV Suspension letter: "DMV STAFF AT FIELD OFFICES AND CALL CENTERS CANNOT PROVIDE VEHICLE INSURANCE SERVICES"

This is a DMV issue as much as a Tesla issue.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
I had seen posts from people having this warning letter sent awhile ago. Can’t believe this is still a problem. And yes if DMV can’t update their system with new insurers it is their problem to fix too I would think.

Be following what you guys have to do to get corrected and hopefully without fallout for you.