Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla insurance!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know it’s only available in California.
My question is;
Is it cheaper than the insurance you had before you switched to Tesla?

How satisfied are you?
For me, Tesla insurance was significantly more expensive than my current insurance (Wawanesa). However, insurance is one of those things that is really hard to compare apples to apples. So, I believe it’s still a good thing for people to check Tesla when looking for insurance.

TOTALLY DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU LIVE & COMMUTE..
LOOK AT UNINSURED MOTORIST SECTION.

Sorry i had to caps that to you as i showed the policy to a friend and she laughed saying you want this in Los Angeles?
Its a joke of a policy with close to nothing for uninsured.
Coverage is also too small.

But i live in a city where probably more then 20% of the motorist are uninsured.
California in general has a 14.7%
California ranks 13th in uninsured drivers | Asatryan Law

So NO...
You want that uninsured motorist section to be quite beefy, and not so gimpy in the likelyhood u do get hit by an uninsured. (in Los Angeles, or Any other Major Metro, Always ASSUME the other guy has no insurane until you see a card with effective dates.)

Tesla Insurance also has a ridiculously high deductible.
So you pay out a lot if your at fault, and you get paid almost nothing if the other person has no insurance.
:T

Ummm, no, this is not the type of insurance you get for a car with a price tag in or near the 6 digit mark.

Well, if you only drive in rich area's where people drive bentlys and other exotics, then i guess its acceptable as well as those will most likely all be heavily insured.

Last edited:
I got quote today for my wife's M3.....$110.60 per month.......we pay USAA $631 every 6 months for 2016 Tacoma and the Model 3.......so it is double USAA....no thanks Tesla......BTW: she has no accidents or tickets in 30 yrs......but we do live in Irvine, Ca

I think you may not be interpreting Tesla's policy correctly. They give you the max for Uninsured Motorist Coverage, according to Automobile Insurance Information Guide:

"Uninsured motorist property damage (UMPD): This pays for the damage to your car from an accident with an uninsured driver who is at fault. The limit is $3,500. This only pays if the uninsured driver is identified. You may not need it if you have collision coverage."

The rest you can max out, like this:

Bodily Injury $1,000,000/$1,000,000
Property Damage $1,000,000
Medical Payment $50,000
Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury $1,000,000/$1,000,000
Uninsured Motorist Property Damage $3,500

TOTALLY DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU LIVE & COMMUTE..
LOOK AT UNINSURED MOTORIST SECTION.

Sorry i had to caps that to you as i showed the policy to a friend and she laughed saying you want this in Los Angeles?
Its a joke of a policy with close to nothing for uninsured.
Coverage is also too small.

But i live in a city where probably more then 20% of the motorist are uninsured.
California in general has a 14.7%
California ranks 13th in uninsured drivers | Asatryan Law

So NO...
You want that uninsured motorist section to be quite beefy, and not so gimpy in the likelyhood u do get hit by an uninsured. (in Los Angeles, or Any other Major Metro, Always ASSUME the other guy has no insurane until you see a card with effective dates.)

Tesla Insurance also has a ridiculously high deductible.
So you pay out a lot if your at fault, and you get paid almost nothing if the other person has no insurance.
:T

Ummm, no, this is not the type of insurance you get for a car with a price tag in or near the 6 digit mark.

Well, if you only drive in rich area's where people drive bentlys and other exotics, then i guess its acceptable as well as those will most likely all be heavily insured.

Reactions: kimvellore
Medical Payment $50,000

This is exactly what I have, It also has low deductible for glass breakage, which Gieco did not (for me when I was with Gieco). It also includes car rental coverage. There are so many factors that affect the cost of insurance, your best bet is to get multiple quotes and decide.

I am not sure where you got this from, or you are just starting a rumor. You pay exactly your deductible if it is your fault and you decide how much your deductible you want to have.

You have a choice to have "collusion deductible buyback" which covers "Waives any collision deductible if an accident is caused by an at-fault driver who doesn't have insurance (uninsured) or by a hit-and-run or miss-and-run."

Kim

• Informative
Reactions: LN1_Casey and Bmac
My Tesla quote is still $12/month more than my Farmers rate. I will stick with Farmers and the benefit of our umbrella policy.

Not sure how you got your Farmers rate so cheap. I am with Farmers for 10 years with 6 cars, 2 houses, and an umbrella policy to boot. Tesla Insurance on just the 2 Tesla's is $1500 cheaper a year than Farmer's 2 Tesla with the discount. I have no accidents in the last 10 years. So then I went to get a quote from Costco's Ameriprise Insurance and it came back about the same as Tesla Insurance quote. I really hate to switch out of Farmers because the agent was my dad's friend. But it is $1500 a year with the same coverage. I just switch out the 2 Tesla's and left the homes/other cars/umbrella with him. The rates went up a little and extra $30 charge for the umbrella because my Tesla's are covered under another company.

Costco's Ameriprise Insurance and it came back about the same as Tesla Insurance quote
I checked almost 7-8 insurance companies and Costco Ameriprise came back no quote for the coverage, Their max coverage was lower than Tesla and they did not have coverage for 1M. I have been with farmers for over 10 years and still have all others vehicles still covered under them except for the Tesla.
Kim

Interesting notes on Farmers. I just spoke with my Farmers agent yesterday, who believes underwriting/the company as a whole has chosen to not cover Teslas, as the premium quoted was double any other company (State Farm/Allstate/Nationwide/GEICO/Progressive) I had checked with, and double the premiums I had in 2016.

Not sure how you got your Farmers rate so cheap. I am with Farmers for 10 years with 6 cars, 2 houses, and an umbrella policy to boot. Tesla Insurance on just the 2 Tesla's is $1500 cheaper a year than Farmer's 2 Tesla with the discount. I have no accidents in the last 10 years. So then I went to get a quote from Costco's Ameriprise Insurance and it came back about the same as Tesla Insurance quote. I really hate to switch out of Farmers because the agent was my dad's friend. But it is $1500 a year with the same coverage. I just switch out the 2 Tesla's and left the homes/other cars/umbrella with him. The rates went up a little and extra $30 charge for the umbrella because my Tesla's are covered under another company.

Are you sure the Tesla coverage is the same? I had to increase every option from Tesla to match our 1M coverage from Farmers. I am paying $200/month from Farmers and Tesla quoted $212/month.

Are you sure the Tesla coverage is the same? I had to increase every option from Tesla to match our 1M coverage from Farmers. I am paying $200/month from Farmers and Tesla quoted $212/month.

Yes coverage is the same. I manually adjusted it. I have 500,000/250,000 not 1M. But I have a 1M umbrella with Farmers. My Tesla Insurance quote were $110 for Model 3 and $120 for Model X. I paid Farmers $1200 6/months for MX and $975 6/months.

I think you may not be interpreting Tesla's policy correctly. They give you the max for Uninsured Motorist Coverage, according to Automobile Insurance Information Guide:

"Uninsured motorist property damage (UMPD): This pays for the damage to your car from an accident with an uninsured driver who is at fault. The limit is $3,500. This only pays if the uninsured driver is identified. You may not need it if you have collision coverage."

The rest you can max out, like this:

Medical Payment $50,000

This is what i get....
And yeah if you start maxing stuff out, it costs more then my current policy as well as many others.... but i think the OP is looking at basic.
Also this is the first choice Tesla quotes give you before you start customizing stuff, because they want to appear cheaper.

So i was stating my response to the OP to carefully read the coverage, as this coverage would be absolutely unacceptable to me, and probably many others, especially P owners.

Liability
Bodily Injury

$100,000/$300,000
Property Damage

$50,000
Medical Payment

$1,000
Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury

$30,000/$60,000
Uninsured Motorist Property Damage

$3,500
Deductible
Collision Deductible

$2,000
Comprehensive Deductible

$2,000

Due to some screw-up at Tesla Insurance, I am unable to access its website, either directly or via my Tesla account, from home or on the road, at all. One of the bosses over there tells me this should be resolved in April. Meanwhile, I want to replace my current insurer. Yesterday, I was contacted by a lady at the Tesla Service Center in Rancho Cucamonga, about 80 miles from here. She said she can enter my info for me and get me signed up. So today I'm zooming off to the Rancho C. to see if that's really true. I'll be wearing my Tesla Model S T-shirt, of course. And ball cap. :) And this will be followed by a chicken salad at Denny's. Woohoo!

Hi All,
I could not find the link to Tesla Insurance. If the website is up now, would you please txt me the link.
My Mercury insurance will be expired at the end of next week, and I 'd like to get the Insurance quote from Tesla. I am using Autopilot & Full Self Drive features and I hope Tesla has old driving data plus it will protect the car 's reputation and may be back me up when I involve moderate/major accident (I am not at fault)
Please let me know your opinions..Many thanks.

I have USAA (Full Coverage) and pay roughly $1600 every 6 months for three newer cars which are all 2015s; Model S P85D, Ford Crew Cab 4x4Lariat, and Kia Sorento SX Limited. Clean record—no accidents or tickets for just me and the wife. We are also heavy commuters.

Farmers Quoted me $2288 for the same coverage as of last month—no thanks.

Throw in my discounts and yearly member dividends, and USAA beats the pants out of all them.