Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is not slacking off with deliveries. WOW!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
RWD on a Tesla isn't comparable to RWD on ICE cars (especially ones with the engine in the front). Since the battery pack is so low and makes up such a large percentage of the total weight of the car, they do very well in the snow.

Also, AWD isn't a substitute for snow tires. It will help you get started but won't do anything to help you stop.
How about keeping traction while moving ? Honest question, since my main desire is to not slide.

I personally chose to skip AWD and rely on winter tyres, but I am not entirely sure of my choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: ℬête Noire
To get to the delivery date, I have also accepted financing. But the VIN still has not shown up on my account, so as an FYI it might not be there after this point.

I do not think it will affect delivery (at least that is the hope) but has anyone else not had a VIN show up before delivery date?
Mine showed up a day or so before delivery. I only knew it earlier because of the pro forma.

RWD on a Tesla isn't comparable to RWD on ICE cars (especially ones with the engine in the front). Since the battery pack is so low and makes up such a large percentage of the total weight of the car, they do very well in the snow.

Also, AWD isn't a substitute for snow tires. It will help you get started but won't do anything to help you stop.
I realize that the Tesla RWD won't be the same as an ICE RWD, but since I've never driven a RWD Tesla, I have no comparison I can make. I also realize that AWD isn't a substitute for winter tires, but since I'm not getting them, I'm going with the closest thing that can help me maintain traction. I've had multiple issues with rear or front wheel drives in snow and have had none with AWD given the little amount of snow that we typically get, so I'm going with what I have experienced.

If I lived in the North East, I might normally drive around on winter tires, and therefore would have different experience. But I have no desire at all to keep a second set of tires around.

I have delivery scheduled next Thursday (the 12 of July) and I have a VIN provided via email, but no VIN on my Tesla account.

Sooner,
If you have a service center near, I would suggest just go in with a copy of the email. Do you have 220V to the place where the charger will go. That is what takes time and planning. The charger itself can be hooked up pretty easily.

I also ordered the adapter from Tesla store that I need to charge July 1st, and it hasnt shipped yet... so kind of stuck with the normal 15 amp wall plug until that arrives.
Unless you're passionate about having the Tesla-branded home charger, you may be able to cancel your order and go pick one up at your local Home Depot or Lowes. I got a Schneider-branded one from homedepot.com and it was on my doorstep being handed to my electrician two days later. That said, your 110v will put 5mi of range into your Model 3 per hour. If that's inadequate while you await your Tesla-branded charger, then you'll be soon getting acquainted with nearby destination chargers (free) or superchargers (cheap as hell compared to gasoline).

I realize that the Tesla RWD won't be the same as an ICE RWD, but since I've never driven a RWD Tesla, I have no comparison I can make. I also realize that AWD isn't a substitute for winter tires, but since I'm not getting them, I'm going with the closest thing that can help me maintain traction. I've had multiple issues with rear or front wheel drives in snow and have had none with AWD given the little amount of snow that we typically get, so I'm going with what I have experienced.

If I lived in the North East, I might normally drive around on winter tires, and therefore would have different experience. But I have no desire at all to keep a second set of tires around.
Each to their own, but it is interesting how our perspectives differ.
You want to get up your hill;
I want to be safe in the winter.

Reactions: AustinPowers
How about keeping traction while moving ? Honest question, since my main desire is to not slide.

I personally chose to skip AWD and rely on winter tyres, but I am not entirely sure of my choice.
Traction control with AWD is more flexible and can be more effective, but nothing beats snow tires when it comes to not sliding.

I remember reading a while ago that Tesla would store your extra set of tires and change them for you for free. I haven't heard of that happening recently so I'm guessing it's no longer a service they offer.

Reactions: adaptabl
To each their own.

I had a RWD Nissan 350Z and had to abandon it on the side of the road because it couldn't make it to the top of the hill while I was heading home. I got an AWD SUV a couple weeks later. That has never had an issue on the road in any way, including the really bad storms we got back in 2008 where it snowed for a week straight. And I drove in it almost every day.

This past Christmas Eve, we were heading to a friend's house for dinner, and my wife insisted we take her Prius instead of my SUV (because gas mileage). That thing could barely make it up the small lip to get out of our side street onto the main street, and when I tried to turn onto another side street, it just broke traction and kept going forward. We went back, got my SUV, and never had an issue.

I don't know how good the RWD Model 3 is. Perhaps it's way better than any other RWD or FWD. Perhaps I could get away with just getting winter tires. But I really don't have the inclination to keep a separate set of tires. AWD gives me the peace of mind for dealing with whatever happens w/ weather, and gives me added acceleration to boot.
Winter tires in winter conditions are important. I’d take a RWD Tesla with nokian hakkas over any SUV with all seasons in snow or ice.

AWD doesn’t improve breaking.

I've done the experiment in my RWD S60. With modern snow tires it does quite well in getting up my long, steep (10% grade), curved driveway in snow and ice — last winter I pushed through eight inches of snow (any more than that and I have to shovel first).

Tesla RWD with traction control is not the same as what many of us remember from the olden days. Sure, AWD with snow tires would be even better but you will be fine with RWD and snow tires. Modern snow tires are quite amazing on snow and ice.

Driveway looking up1562edsf 2-3-16.jpg Driveway looking down from road1563edsf 2-3-16.jpg

Several decades ago when I lived in the Front Range, whenever I'd head up to the mountains for skiing after a snowstorm I'd see SUVs upside down along I-70. AWD/4WD with regular tires plus a high CG was not a good combination. The low CG of Tesla plus snow tires is way safer.

Last edited:

Model 3 RWD with all seasons in snow:

Unless you're passionate about having the Tesla-branded home charger, you may be able to cancel your order and go pick one up at your local Home Depot or Lowes. I got a Schneider-branded one from homedepot.com and it was on my doorstep being handed to my electrician two days later. That said, your 110v will put 5mi of range into your Model 3 per hour. If that's inadequate while you await your Tesla-branded charger, then you'll be soon getting acquainted with nearby destination chargers (free) or superchargers (cheap as hell compared to gasoline).
Agreed. But you don't really need a charger with a Tesla, least expensive charging station is a RV 50A, 220V outlet. Any electrician can put them in and they don't cost very much.

Man I want Dual Motor now. But I have no excuse living in California.

You could go to the mountains with snow.. is that a good enough excuse ?

LoL faster and more regen. Yea. Mountains no. I wouldn’t beat up my own car for that. I rent a car.

Man, I was second guessing jumping on the RWD LR 3 when the AWD was announced just a few days later. I'm sacrificing my AWD mountain car for the RWD 3.

I certainly don't consider driving my car in the mountains to be "sacrificing" it. My mountain car is an AWD Golf with snow tires and it's a damn mountain goat, and doesn't have so much as a rock chip, but I'm selling it because it's just not getting driven.

I don't care about the arguments of SUVs on no-seasons flipped over in ditches in Colorado. 'Round here, if they put up the chain control signs, you're putting chains on your car unless you have AWD and snow tires, or you're getting turned around and sent home. I don't feel like getting mowed down on the side of the road at 1am trying to put chains on my car. AWD is the name of the game, and AWD+snows means you don't have to worry "what if".

I didn't want to trust my mountain driving to an electric car with even LOWER ground clearance than the golf, have to buy another set of snow tires for another car, worry about range at a cabin with no access to electricity, etc.

On the other hand, AWD 3 would have meant a longer wait, possibly less $$ in tax incentives, and so on.

Sooner,
If you have a service center near, I would suggest just go in with a copy of the email. Do you have 220V to the place where the charger will go. That is what takes time and planning. The charger itself can be hooked up pretty easily.

I should have been more clear, it is not the wall charger I am waiting for. It is the 30 amp nema 10-30 adapter. I am not getting a wall charger for current home as I plan on building within a year and will likely have 100 amp area installed with two chargers chained for two vehicles. But until then I will be using the charging equipment supplied with the car and the 30 amp 10-30 adapter.

According to the adapter page, 110v 15 amp puts on 3 miles an hour charge. Five would clearly be a vast improvement, so here is hoping. I do have a local supercharger, but will be taking Tesla every other day, with the Jetta TDI in between (until it is sold back to cheater VW.... final paper work filed).

Thank you both for suggestions.