Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is red hot in China, for different reasons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Raffy, any thoughts on the extent Tesla is entering public awareness in Italy and the EU? for context, here in the U.S., as recently as a year ago, my sense is only a small part of the public knew about Tesla. Today, my sense is anyone is as likely here to have heard of it as not, and, (definitely generalizing), those who've only come to know it see it positively, as roughly "the Apple of cars", though many may not be aware that Tesla wants to be in the reach of the middle class.

Hi Steve. Actually and unluckily in Italy there is not so much interest for Tesla and EVs now. On the contrary in EU things are getting better for Tesla and there is more awareness of the revolutionary technical contents of Tesla.

Hi Steve. Actually and unluckily in Italy there is not so much interest for Tesla and EVs now. On the contrary in EU things are getting better for Tesla and there is more awareness of the revolutionary technical contents of Tesla.
I think especially in Germany but also other places without heavy incentives for EVs the "problem" for the Model S is it's low-tech appearance. Considering that even Hyundai and other brands seen as cheap and simple have auto-stop, blind-zone warnings, ACC etc. the fact that the Model S doesn't have those things means many think it's overpriced because they haven't driven it. It's also seen as less cutting edge and less "premium". As soon as Tesla got more of those tings and more superchargers in Europe they will entice people into the shops, they will try the car and they are sold on it. I'm guessing that will change slowly towards the end of this year and especially next when you can testdrive either the Model S or the X.

Cobos

I agree on the incentives. But auto-stop doesn´t really make sense for the Model S ;).

I don´t think people see the S as not being cutting edge either. Problem might be more that buyers stick to the brands they are used to, especially if they are national brands, and it takes a while for TESLA to build a reputation. I think everyone who takes a test drive is convinced of the superior technology!

I think especially in Germany but also other places without heavy incentives for EVs the "problem" for the Model S is it's low-tech appearance. Considering that even Hyundai and other brands seen as cheap and simple have auto-stop, blind-zone warnings, ACC etc. the fact that the Model S doesn't have those things means many think it's overpriced because they haven't driven it. It's also seen as less cutting edge and less "premium". As soon as Tesla got more of those tings and more superchargers in Europe they will entice people into the shops, they will try the car and they are sold on it. I'm guessing that will change slowly towards the end of this year and especially next when you can testdrive either the Model S or the X.

Cobos

Raffy, hobbes, cobos, thanks for your thoughts. I think the market perception of Tesla in the EU in contrast to other markets is a pretty significant topic, so I'm going to reply via a new thread rather than here.

Last edited:
more updates from recent report http://www.xcar.com.cn/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=20221704

04/03: 961
04/11: 992

Looks model X reservation slowed down after the "honeymoon" period although it's understandable. First, none of Chinese customer ever see a real model X yet; Second, model S hasn't been delivered, so a lot of people still sit on the fence, not to mention model X; Third, model X delivery is TBD in China, it's a pain;

I double checked the thread, it's for model X only. So the model X reservation # is as below:
model X:
order date: reservation number
2/07: 351
2/23: 574
2/26: 623
3/13: 892

I recall from another report earlier, Tesla said it won't be at the Beijing Auto Show. But things could be changed in the meantime.

Will he also be at the Beijing Auto Show (4/20 - 4/29)?

China Auto Show - Autoweek

Or is Tesla exhibiting there?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the information. If possible, would you mind sharing when your car was shipped from US?

The reason is TMC wants to get some rough idea of how long it takes for a car shipping from US to China, then clear the customs and get to the customer.

Definitely, Tesla will sell very big in China, I'm one of the first group of reservation holders of Model S, I know how things are going on here, my model s will be delivered end of this month!

Last edited:
Per latest report http://xtesla.com/thread-702-1-1.html, here is the Agenda for Elon's China trip:
04/19: arriving Beijing
04/20: attend openning ceremony of Beijing Auto Show
04/21: attend Geekpark innovator summit
04/22: attend ceremony of first delivery to Chinese customers

Logically I would think Tesla would be in Beijing Auto Show now because Elon will attend the openning ceremony. Probably it's due to China delivery delay and Elon managed to have his China trip, first delivery overlapped with Beijing Auto Show. But I still didn't see report to confirm this. Anyway speculate some announcement and buzz over the next weekend.

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/2976151702
http://www.xcar.com.cn/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=20233451

It looks Elon Musk will visit China on 04/21 and 04/22 at least.
04/21: Geekpark innovator summit. Will co-host an event with Baidu (BIDU) CEO and Lenovo CEO;
04/22: Ceremony of first delivery to Chinese customers

Per latest report http://xtesla.com/thread-702-1-1.html, here is the Agenda for Elon's China trip:

Logically I would think Tesla would be in Beijing Auto Show now because Elon will attend the openning ceremony. Probably it's due to China delivery delay and Elon managed to have his China trip, first delivery overlapped with Beijing Auto Show. But I still didn't see report to confirm this. Anyway speculate some announcement and buzz over the next weekend.

Thanks, maoing. Can you translate the 2nd paragraph on http://xtesla.com/thread-702-1-1.html? Google translate is terrible, it says: "[FONT=微软雅黑]Tesla vice president of global 10 morning FTA with Shanghai leading the responsible person and the related conference on free trade zone on the modalities of cooperation were discussed in detail. [/FONT][FONT=微软雅黑]Shanghai Municipal Government by the end of March was held Tesla project forum, responsible person Tesla Envoy, Shanghai FTA participants. [/FONT][FONT=微软雅黑]Tesla will consider new companies registered in Shanghai Waigaoqiao Free Trade Zone in order to enjoy the preferential policies."[/FONT]

It's something like this, nothing special, just some ongoing work for Shanghai branch setup.

"[FONT=微软雅黑]Tesla (global) vice president (maybe Veronica Wu) met with with the leads from Shanghai FTZ (free trade zone) and related companies in the morning of 04/10. This meeting is intended to discuss in details for the coorperation between Tesla and Shanghai FTZ. Back to end of March, Shanghai municipal government had meeting to discuss tesla project (store and service center) with tesla representative and leads from Shanghai FTZ. The Tesla Shanghai company is likely to be registered in FTZ in order to take advantage of the government policies (waive some customs duty, I guess).

[/FONT]
Thanks, maoing. Can you translate the 2nd paragraph on http://xtesla.com/thread-702-1-1.html? Google translate is terrible, it says: "[FONT=微软雅黑]Tesla vice president of global 10 morning FTA with Shanghai leading the responsible person and the related conference on free trade zone on the modalities of cooperation were discussed in detail. [/FONT][FONT=微软雅黑]Shanghai Municipal Government by the end of March was held Tesla project forum, responsible person Tesla Envoy, Shanghai FTA participants. [/FONT][FONT=微软雅黑]Tesla will consider new companies registered in Shanghai Waigaoqiao Free Trade Zone in order to enjoy the preferential policies."[/FONT]

Here is a more detailed article about MUSK's China trip http://tieba.baidu.com/p/2982855490. Some more points:
1. Tesla won't attend Beijing Auto Show, but MUSK's attendance to openning ceremony and coincidence between Auto Show and First batch delivery would be expected to achieve same PR effect per the article;
2. After Beijing, MUSK will visit Shanghai to attend 4/24 China (Shanghai) International Technology Fair, Tesla will join the fair per the link from official CSITF site http://www.csitf.cn/cn/EnewsTRLetter.aspx?id=18&cid=215
3. The article speculates that MUSK will have public relationship efforts with Shanghai Municipal Government and FTZ (see my translation for the earlier meeting) to get some local government support for electric car, for example subsidy and (expensive) license plate fee waiver etc.

It looks MUSK's China trip should be a big plan as it spans from 04/19-04/24, which is at least 6 days. We'll see how well it goes :)

It looks MUSK's China trip should be a big plan as it spans from 04/19-04/24, which is at least 6 days. We'll see how well it goes :)

Great info thank you maoing.

It would be very difficult to make such a long trip for one or two days only. Maybe Elon can handle jet lag but I would certainly consider jet lag as a factor when planning a lengthy trip.

Last edited: