Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Layoffs and Management Changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The deposits are not in an escrow account, and they are free to use it if they so choose. Thus if they go under, I expect we will lose our deposits. But, the deposts are not their primary source of capital. Also, I think it would be reckless to spend a significant portion of the deposits on anything other than direct production costs. I trust Tesla to be more responsible than that.
I would hope so too... although obviously they are having some sort of cash flow issues.
Cash flow arguments aside, I can't imagine they could lay off half of the company and continue work on Model S without totally blowing their late 2010 goal.

Yes :-(... I am bummed that the Model S is being delayed. It sounds like from their web site they are doing exactly what I was thinking earlier: Lay off a bunch of people until the loans come in for the Model S, and then hire people back. Seems like a short sighted plan unless you are very cash strapped.

From the LA Times:

Tesla Feels Credit Crunch | Up to Speed | Los Angeles Times

This is the first I have heard they are reducing head count in England as well.

I had thought that was on the cards anyway: The design work on the Roadster was done and I didn't think they would use these staff on the model S. Of the ones I have met, most (if not all) seemed to have come from Lotus. I wonder if they will find their way back there. One told me that after 30 years, he had lost interest in working on ICE vehicles now :smile: Let's hope he can continue to.

I would hope so too... although obviously they are having some sort of cash flow issues.

What makes it "obvious" that they are having cash flow problems? Elon pretty clearly stated that they expect to be cash-flow positive in six to nine months, and that it won't be a problem if it takes longer. How long did it take Amazon to make a net profit?

Yes :-(... I am bummed that the Model S is being delayed. It sounds like from their web site they are doing exactly what I was thinking earlier: Lay off a bunch of people until the loans come in for the Model S, and then hire people back. Seems like a short sighted plan unless you are very cash strapped.

My take on this is that the Model S factory delay is impacting their schedule enough that the environmental impact approval is critical path, so it doesn't make sense to keep moving forward on some fronts, like supplier selection and contracts, until they have some idea when they are going to be able to start building the production facility.

This seems like a great time to trim the headcount, let some less critical and/or productive people go. I wouldn't expect them to hire those same people back later, especially if they have determined that their performance was less than stellar.

If you've ever been involved in hiring people, you know that no matter how good your interview process is, you hire some people that underperform even if they aren't terrible enough to fire them outright. Cost trimming is a good excuse to let underperformers go to make room for better hires later. That's just good business, not a sign of desperation.

Correct as always, TEG

And I'm keeping this one, just in case it gets taken down:

• MartinSez wrote on October 15th, 2008 at 1:03 pm
    There is a lot I could say, but I won’t say it. Net net, I’m not surprised, Elon. You and this company still have a lot of growing up to do.

Bwahahahahaha!

Last edited:
Malc,

it looks like that poster calling himself "MartinSez" was not Martin Eberhard. ME made this post five hours later:

" martin eberhard wrote on October 15th, 2008 at 5:59 pm
  • I want make it clear that the poster calling himself “Martinsez” is not me.
    Martin Eberhard"
ATB,

Chris.

Jeff Rusch wrote on October 15th, 2008 at 3:46 pm
If I’m remembering rightly, after Martin’s ouster, one of the first things Ze’ev did was cancel what seemed like a large and lucrative side business selling the Tesla ESS to Th!nk for their city EV. I presume Elon was in agreement about this move. At the time, the reason given was to increase focus on the core task. I’m no expert, but in retrospect, maybe Martin was right, and such a side business would be helping their cash flow right now?

Any thoughts?

Email from Elon: The contents of his blog post just hit my inbox. I assume all owners received the email as well. It seems to be the exact contents of his post, no new info. Interesting that they are mailing it out in addition to the post (and the press, etc).

Its sad news, and perhaps a step backwards for the entire electric car mouvement especially that Tesla had become the "poster child" of electric cars.

When a manufacturer spends millions opening dealerships with hardly any cars to sell or service, spends more money creating a presence in the European market on the assumption that with the exchange rate they will make more money. Its distracting to the task of building and delivering cars to customers.