Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Leapfrogs Self-Driving Competitors With Radar That's Better Than Lidar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see anywhere in that article that tells how Tesla's Radar is better than Lidar (other than the weather conditions, which we already know).

Elon claims Lidar is not necessary to achieve FSD, but not that radar is better.

I'm going to guess you will get a lot of push back.

I don't see anywhere in that article that tells how Tesla's Radar is better than Lidar (other than the weather conditions, which we already know).

Weather is a big one. Two more examples from the article: "What’s more, the pedestrian in this case would be invisible to lidar since the pedestrian is visually occluded. This is a concrete example where radar has superior performance to lidar. Another example is detecting when a visually occluded car on the road ahead suddenly stops. This is a feature that Tesla implemented in its Hardware 1 cars in 2016."

I of course had no way of knowing the person was promoting his/her own opinion piece on Seeking Alpha. If that fact had been mentioned -- and it seems strange that it wasn't until after my comment -- I would have skipped the derogatory comment about Seeking Alpha out of respect for the OP.

No harm I gave it a tesla :D Everyone knows there are questionable SA writers, as there are here too. But also some decent thinkers and analysts in both forums as well. If you read some of the OPs SA pieces, he's dealt with far worse comments. Just goes with the gig.

To define the perimeters of objects, you need a small beam. Like a hand held laser pointer generates. Radio waves CAN be focused to a beam, but not a spaghetti strand, more like a manhole cover. Currently radio frequencies cannot resolve the edge locations of objects tight enough to mimic an average human driver's car control skill. By using video information also, you can get the 'edges' and use radio to range finding and gross orientation, even through mediums that stop lasers.

GM has been collecting geolocation data on millions of cars since well before 2011, I know my 2009 was. 2011 was the year that OnStar did a controversial move allowing the sale of anonymized car location and speed data to 3rd parties. They have more than 100 (1000? 5000?) autonomous cars driving around as I type this, on random roads. GM LIDAR cars covered all major highways in the US and mapped out all the features around the roads already. And Vehicle to Vehicle has been active for about a year already, not only the central networked system. How far along past that is GM? Nobody outside of GM knows.

Reactions: pilotSteve