Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla limited to 50kw supercharging after long road trip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m on a road trip back to Calgary AB from Toronto ON and I am limited to 50kw at the chargers

I charged last night at a 250kw charger and got normal speeds. Left this morning with 90%

About an hour into the drive I got a warning

VCFRONT_a447
Cabin Climate control system requires service,
Cabin cooling limited or unavailable

The drive was warm and it was still blowing cold so left it on. At next chargers I got decent speeds. Lower than expected but around 100-150kw

I rebooted car and then went on my way. So far the climate warning hasn’t come back

Get to next charger and it doesn’t precondition and when I get there it peaks at 78kw and doesn’t go over 50kw after that. So from 5-75% it was at 50kw

Something is off with the Cooling which is affecting the charging I’m suspecting but hoping someone knows better. Not really close to a service centre anymore so I gotta kinda “limp charge” it along. Gojng to try and find a destination charger for the night to let it juice up at a lower speed

That sounds kind of familiar with what I've heard a time or two before and fits the symptoms. If there is something wrong with the cooling system, it will do a couple of things differently. Max charging speed will stay lower because it doesn't have an ability to cool. And I think it's smart that it doesn't try to do that warming of preconditioning since it knows it will not be able to cool it back down after.

That sounds kind of familiar with what I've heard a time or two before and fits the symptoms. If there is something wrong with the cooling system, it will do a couple of things differently. Max charging speed will stay lower because it doesn't have an ability to cool. And I think it's smart that it doesn't try to do that warming of preconditioning since it knows it will not be able to cool it back down after.
Bingo.

Refrigeration system has issue, car throttles charging to avoid a thermal event.

Reactions: Genie
So at the next charger I did the update to 2023.6.11 and since then the car was normal the remaining 14 supercharges before I got home

Still not sure if the system was confused or not

It is worth noting I had some parts of the heat pump/ac system changed about 10,000kms before this, under warranty.