Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, Linux and the GPL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Contrary to a very very stubborn rumor, no, Tesla is NOT running Ubuntu. They run their own custom distribution. And they continue to be in violation of the GPL even though they have been approached several time with increasingly sternly worded requests to fix that.
My understanding - IF they don't sell it, then no need to follow GPL. (as in modifications only for internal use and not sold to anyone)

Now it would be "good ethics" to share code which was probably at least part of the reason Google Android started to follow GPL.
Please note that in the beginning the Google Android code submitted to Linux Foundation was so poor, many complained and I think it had to all be re-written to meet coding standards of Linus Torvalds/Linux Foundation before any of it was merged into the Kernel. Greg often tried to "calm people down" by noting some code sharing better than no code sharing. Seems to me Ubuntu/Canonical wasn't sharing for years. Also, I think Google realized that bugs could be fixed much quicker - most any bug a shallow problem to the right pair of eyes. Greg was also good at pointing out who was making big claims but not really pulling their own weight to help improve the Kernel. Peer pressure sometimes helps.

At some point I strongly suspect Tesla will also see/find a mutual benefit to become part of the Linux Foundation (or maybe not if corporate corrupting get too entrenched. Big corporations do seem to push toward monopoly and standards/regulatory capture, right?).

Don't all of the Linux supercomputing cluster providers belong to Linux Foundation? Wonder about the Chinese??

Also the problem of interacting with other suppliers where conflict of IP lawyers get stirred up. Tesla Roadster used Continental ABS systems - wonder who they use now? or is it all internal developed ABS system now? The more you consider, the more complex it seems to get to my little mind anyway.
(Intel/Mobile-Eye and Nvidia?)

PLEASE NOTE:
Home - Automotive Grade Linux
Open Source Summit Japan + Automotive Linux
Summit Speakers and Agenda Announced

Open Source Summit Japan + Automotive Linux Summit Speakers and Agenda Announced - Automotive Grade Linux

Here Greg talks about WHY companies usually give up going it alone - as it seems Tesla might be doing.
Can anyone actually verify? I know that often it is complex relations with vendors that prevent joining of Open Source GPL.
Patents and Lawyers - just think of Samsung/Apple cell phone corner shape lawsuit.

Anyway, think you'll find informative and interesting.
Linux Kernel Development, Greg Kroah-Hartman - Git Merge 2016

Some examples of companies making the move to Linux and then later moving to actually join the Linux Foundation AND then doing good contributions to the Linux Kernel. Qualcomm; Amazon how they compare to Intel; Microsoft for example.

Greg Kroah-Hartman, Linux Foundation Fellow

My understanding - IF they don't sell it, then no need to follow GPL. (as in modifications only for internal use and not sold to anyone)
oops, wrong yet again
Anyone can modify the Linux code, but then must share this modified code back to the Linux Foundation.
MicroSoft, Google, Intel and many others comply;
Corporate Members - The Linux Foundation
and about 550 individual supporters.

Amazon isn't helping and Qualcomm code needs a lot of cleaning up. Not sure about facebook? Well, the above videos will explain how and why companies usually change over time,