Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Looking for Good Drivers to Test Full Self-Driving System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

If you want to be a beta tester of Tesla’s Full Self-Driving system, you’re going to need to be a good driver.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk tweeted that owners will soon be able to request access via a button in the car. This will give Tesla permission to evaluate owners’ driving for seven days before they’re included in the beta testing group.

Musk also tweeted that that Version 10.1 of the FSD Beta is estimated to arrive on September 24th. The beta request button will be included in the update.

The V10 update was well-received, with some reviewers showing their cars navigating through areas that it was previously unable to complete without driver intervention. Musk has said the next version will be another noticeable step in performance for the system. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Battouttahe77
I wonder how fairness is determined? In my mind Musk wants to minimize chance of accidents. Is that fair?
Is it fair that people with lower margin of safety, like race car drivers, get penalized more, even though one could argue they are less likely to be in an accident? Is it fair that someone that drives like a granny gets a higher score, even though they are more likely to be in an accident? Is there anyway to prevent that unfairness?

One way to increase fairness is to actually look at accidents in the past 8 years and perhaps traffic tickets.
I agree, no accidents in 20 years. At least we can learn what they are looking at.

Reactions: Terminator857
I'd like to see some statistical proof that their criteria for "good driving behavior" is relevant. I find playing the Tesla minigame of watching the road and watching for the apply torque to the steering wheel message to be super frustrating. - And _yes_ I am holding the wheel. -- Maybe the current FSD is dramatically better than whatever I've got in my car, but the version that I have makes mistakes often. Which is why I prioritize maintaining awareness of whats going on around the car; I think that's more important for safety than playing the minigame. Apparently Tesla disagrees(?).
I noticed this right away today, that between the message that you are approaching an intersection, and the place your hands on the wheel message before the blue flashing nag, the constant messages are distracting, and I'm holding the wheel also, just not applying torque, since I'm on autopilot. I primarily watch the road and traffic around me. Which part of these distractions are "self driving ?" I understand I need to control the car, but not continually play whack a mole. I'll play along, since I would love to qualify to receive a product I paid for 2 years ago.

I noticed this right away today, that between the message that you are approaching an intersection, and the place your hands on the wheel message before the blue flashing nag, the constant messages are distracting, and I'm holding the wheel also, just not applying torque, since I'm on autopilot. I primarily watch the road and traffic around me. Which part of these distractions are "self driving ?" I understand I need to control the car, but not continually play whack a mole. I'll play along, since I would love to qualify to receive a product I paid for 2 years ago.
Yes Sir

It’s a double whack a mole because you got to keep hitting the accelerator for green lights and putting pressure onto the steering wheel you’re holding straight. This mornings commute was such a drag between trying to pay attention to the road and everyone passing me because of me trying to accelerate “normal” and constantly glancing at the dash to either pump the gas to keep driving through green lights or put pressure on the steering wheel while driving on a perfectly flat and straight east to west road with a bunch of lights for cross intersections. I’m honestly starting to get annoyed and feel that the manual driving (without these dumb try outs) is just less stressful at this point.

I looked at my "Safety score" from a long test drive yesterday, and the results correlated fairly closely to the results from the State Farm Drive Safe & Save App™ that is tied to an accelerometer. The advantage to the DS&S app is that it shows you on the map where each event happens.

And I got ripped big time on my test drive for "hard braking" events. All of them were at points where I was traveling under Autopilot and the speed limit changed. Regenerative is so strong that Tesla considers it unsafe.

My biggest ding was from following too close. In my case, traffic was fairly heavy and cars would pull into the gap ahead of me. Of course I let up on the accelerator to slow down and increase my gap, but it takes a few seconds to happen unless I apply the brakes. And as soon as I recreated a proper gap, another car would pull into the new gap, causing me to do it again. I also believe some of my following too closely dings were while I was on TACC.

Reactions: sluri
I've got the updated phone app and requested the beta on my car; as has my brother in Dallas. Both of us drove our cars yesterday. As of this morning there's no sign of a "safety score" on our phone apps. How long does this take to come up?
Do you see that screen in the phone app but there is no score?
j04ulPk.jpg
v8mfvfO.jpg

Yes despite trying very hard to drive safely it seems nearly as impossible to maintain a perfect score. Some things are out of your control. For example a car passing you on the freeway and then changing lanes in front of you fairly closely to you. You can either hit the brakes moderately (which will ding you for aggressive braking) or ease off on the accelerator where for a moment you will be following too close. I don’t think perfect is realistic here. Just hope I can keep the score high enough to pass the muster.

This wide beta release worries me. From what I have seen on the videos so far, it shows a lot of promise and is impressive in many ways, but not ready for a wide public release. Sorry not even close.

Scumbags Lora, Russ and ilk are salivating for the first crash. And on the first death - never mind if the guy was drunk ten times over - NHTSA & NTSB will close the FSD shop for good or for a long time.

I looked at my "Safety score" from a long test drive yesterday, and t. All of them were at points where I was traveling under Autopilot and the speed limit changed. Regenerative is so strong that Tesla considers it unsafe.
I took a short trip this morning and the only hard brake was on AP for a red light on a down slope, got a .9% penalty for it. Mine were all below 5 mph after regen stops.

Scumbags Lora, Russ and ilk are salivating for the first crash. And on the first death - never mind if the guy was drunk ten times over - NHTSA & NTSB will close the FSD shop for good or for a long time.
Driver monitoring system should be configured to detect someone impaired and disable FSD realtime. Can use in conjunction with other data, such as time of day.

I looked at my "Safety score" from a long test drive yesterday, and the results correlated fairly closely to the results from the State Farm Drive Safe & Save App™ that is tied to an accelerometer. The advantage to the DS&S app is that it shows you on the map where each event happens.

And I got ripped big time on my test drive for "hard braking" events. All of them were at points where I was traveling under Autopilot and the speed limit changed. Regenerative is so strong that Tesla considers it unsafe.
So far from my experience, full regen does not trigger hard braking at all. On autopilot or off.

Just stay completely off the brake pedal and you’ll be fine

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Tesla is recommending the common 3 second rule. 13 Billion results in my search below. Just count when the car ahead of you passes something on the side of the road.

Aside: from a quick search with Ohio info. Not sure if my state is the exact same but likely. Following Too Close | Columbus Traffic Lawyer

1bkUFz1.jpg
Imprecise estimate from a drive last night:
At 60mph, TACC setting of 7 is roughly 4.5 seconds.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200