Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla looks to sell cars at Natick Mall - Current situation not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The article passed in town meeting tonight. The next step (a formality) is to have the Attorney General approve the zoning bylaw change.

And then of course the bills at the state level.

PS: never had to speak tonight. Just sit throughout the meeting...

PPS: Laura and John, other owners/forum members were also present. It was tedious watching government churn away...

Last edited:
Does this mean that other dealers will rent storefronts in the mall and put their comparatively boring gassers on display? I could see Mercedes, BMW, Caddie, Lincoln doing it. Doubt they would get much traffic. Although every time I'm in that mall there's a new car parked in the lobby with a placard advertising the car and the dealer. It's funny I've never seen anyone actually looking at the car. Everyone is just walking around it like it's in their way. Maybe there's some branding going on.

Does this mean that other dealers will rent storefronts in the mall and put their comparatively boring gassers on display? I could see Mercedes, BMW, Caddie, Lincoln doing it. Doubt they would get much traffic. Although every time I'm in that mall there's a new car parked in the lobby with a placard advertising the car and the dealer. It's funny I've never seen anyone actually looking at the car. Everyone is just walking around it like it's in their way. Maybe there's some branding going on.

The zoning law change was not catered towards any particular vendor or technology.
Dealers are allowed to have up to 4 cars on display/available for test drive. PERIOD.
On-site service is not permitted.

So if Maserati or Mazda wants to do the same thing they can.

Frankly, I think this would be a very smart strategy, at least for high-end brands. At a mall, the "just looking" reply to a sales clerk is perfectly credible, but once you show up at a dealership, you've revealed that you're actually in the market to buy a car. Getting your (nice) product in front of people who aren't yet poised to buy seems like a good idea.

The problem that franchise dealers would have with this model is that they don't have a monopoly on the downstream purchase. I might see a spiffy new car model in the mall at Nashua, but eventually buy it from a dealer in Boston. How does the Nashua dealer capture the revenue from his advertising? Tesla, on the other hand, has no such "leakage" problem.

Frankly, I think this would be a very smart strategy, at least for high-end brands. At a mall, the "just looking" reply to a sales clerk is perfectly credible, but once you show up at a dealership, you've revealed that you're actually in the market to buy a car. Getting your (nice) product in front of people who aren't yet poised to buy seems like a good idea.

The problem that franchise dealers would have with this model is that they don't have a monopoly on the downstream purchase. I might see a spiffy new car model in the mall at Nashua, but eventually buy it from a dealer in Boston. How does the Nashua dealer capture the revenue from his advertising? Tesla, on the other hand, has no such "leakage" problem.

I suppose the manufacturer could do it purely as a showroom and then introduce the local franchisees like they do on the Web. Maybe have touchscreens where you could configure a car and then search local/regional inventory for the closest match or for dealers to reply by email with "matching" offers (in quotes because when I've tried this they are often a very loose match).

Or the franchisees could fund it as a cooperative with the manufacturer, like the ads that mention "New England Ford Dealers" etc.

But my gut is that given their (over?)reactions to Telsla few dealers would want to see the manufacturers holding any kind of local real estate footprint. So it will rarely if ever happen.

Caught this article on boston.com (written 10/22/2013) http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/natick/2013/10/natick_town_meeting_approves_car_sales_bylaw_makes_way_for_t.html:
By Dan Schneider, Globe Correspondent

Natick's Town Meeting has approved a short-term change to town zoning bylaws to allow for limited car sales at the Natick Mall and in the Golden Triangle area -- paving the way for Tesla to sell its automobiles directly to consumers.

The bylaw, as passed on Oct. 17, allows for a “Limited Salesroom for Motor Vehicles”—which is defined as “a retail establishment for the sale of Motor Vehicles with…having no more than four vehicles on site for sale, test driving or display, with no repair services”—provided that a company gets a special permit from the town Planning Board.

Because it involves a change to zoning bylaws, the new bylaw will have to be approved by the state Attorney General before it can take effect.

The new bylaw will offer relief to the electric car manufacturer Tesla Motors, who had previously been granted temporary waiver to sell its cars out of a showroom in the Natick Mall in July.

The company’s attempt to sell cars directly to consumers had rankled many dealers in the state, culminating in a lawsuit by the Massachusetts State Auto Dealers Association last fall that was ultimately thrown out of Norfolk Superior Court.