Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla looks to sell cars at Natick Mall - Current situation not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a helpful POV. As in Texas, I think Tesla should be thinking about how to narrow the exception they're seeking here to give some comfort to its opponents. For example, I think a hard cap on the number of parking spaces that the dealership would use for its own inventory is a reasonable restriction -- you don't want to reduce parking for mall customers unreasonably. Tesla could get by with 6-8 spots, while the traditional dealer would need 10x that. Also, the town should require that any vehicles in a mall showroom have no oil, gas, or other flammable liquids while inside the mall, as a matter of public health and safety.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/natick/2013/07/planning_board_approves_tesla_motor_sales_at_natick_mall.html

Planning Board approves Tesla Motor sales at Natick Mall
"Tesla had been requesting a zoning exception to allow sale from their space at the mall. The exception would allow Tesla to consolidate its operations in Natick, which now consist of a showroom at the mall, where customers can see a car and get information, and a sales office on West Central Street, where actual sales are handled."

The Natick Board of Selectmen will be hearing and hopefully approving the Planning Board's decision - this Monday, July 29. The meeting starts at 7, but Tesla is pretty far down the agenda.

Presumably the Board needs to amend Tesla's license in order for them to sell from the Natick Mall.

See y'all there.

The Natick Board of Selectmen will be hearing and hopefully approving the Planning Board's decision - this Monday, July 29. The meeting starts at 7, but Tesla is pretty far down the agenda.

Presumably the Board needs to amend Tesla's license in order for them to sell from the Natick Mall.

See y'all there.

I can't make it Monday :-(

The Board of Selectmen voted 3-2 to grant Tesla a new dealers' license allowing them to sell cars from the gallery in the Natick Mall. The Planning Board expects to take the issue of car sales in the mall to Town Meeting to change the restriction in the zoning by-law on a permanent basis. Tesla only has the right to sell cars in the mall until Town Meeting speaks on the issue. A change in the zoning by-law requires a two-thirds vote at Town Meeting.

It may come before Town Meeting in the fall, or in the spring - not yet known.

Yes, I went. Tesla was all lawyered up, plus Will the northeast sales director was there. But I was the only owner/enthusiast. Yes, the one fellow who very much didn't support the first dealer license request very emphatically supported this one even less. "Why don't you just get a regular dealer like everyone else??!!"

So annoying... purely whining about how he personally doesn't like something and provides no *actual* argument -- nothing based in law, precedent, studies, etc... and that's how the government is run and decisions are made. I cringe at the thought of what goes on at the federal level given this is what goes on at the local level.
Hrm, they have a new chair. Paul Joseph was insanely helpful for the license (thank goodness he was there). How was Carol Gloff?

So annoying... purely whining about how he personally doesn't like something and provides no *actual* argument -- nothing based in law, precedent, studies, etc... and that's how the government is run and decisions are made. I cringe at the thought of what goes on at the federal level given this is what goes on at the local level.
Hrm, they have a new chair. Paul Joseph was insanely helpful for the license (thank goodness he was there). How was Carol Gloff?
Don't even get me started on the Federal level. ...@#^&@