Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla M3 Cabin Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I usually drive without any music and I can say with certainty that the Model 3 AWD has a higher cabin noise levels than my G20 330i. I just ordered a decibel meter and will do some testing to verify.

It may be slightly louder or it may just be that you hear more tire and wind noise since there is no drone of the gas engine, exhaust noise, transmission whine, etc. NVH engineers try to minimize the annoying sounds and amplify the pleasant ones. Tesla eliminated so much noise we are left with amplified tire and wind noise. They have acoustic foam in the tires, which may help a little bit but I am not sure how much can be done about wind noise at 70mph. Thicker glass, tighter seals and more sound deadening material but they need to keep cost down as well.

It may be slightly louder or it may just be that you hear more tire and wind noise since there is no drone of the gas engine, exhaust noise, transmission whine, etc. NVH engineers try to minimize the annoying sounds and amplify the pleasant ones. Tesla eliminated so much noise we are left with amplified tire and wind noise. They have acoustic foam in the tires, which may help a little bit but I am not sure how much can be done about wind noise at 70mph. Thicker glass, tighter seals and more sound deadening material but they need to keep cost down as well.

Lots of cost cutting on the Model 3 for sure.

sounds like you have never been in a G20 330i. You can hardly hear the engine(it’s not the N20/26 tractor engine), there is no transmission whine(it’s not a Honda) and the cabin sound level is the lowest it has ever been.

Lots of cost cutting on the Model 3 for sure.

sounds like you have never been in a G20 330i. You can hardly hear the engine(it’s not the N20/26 tractor engine), there is no transmission whine(it’s not a Honda) and the cabin sound level is the lowest it has ever been.

No, but I assume it is similar to the Lexus sedans I have owned. Its too bad low cabin noise can’t help Infinity sell more cars because they are close to shutting down the whole brand. ;)

What is "noisy?" How long is a piece of string? They both share the same answer: It depends.

Everyone has a different opinion on how noisy a car can be and still be acceptable. My 2016 Accord was louder than my Model 3. Both are certainly acceptable... to me, at least.

hi

I am going to take the delivery of a new Model 3 this week. It is the long range single motor. I have heard that the Model 3 has significant cabin / wind noise issue on highway. Just wanted to confirm if that is the case.

Regards
S
Without a doubt my Model 3 Performance has very high wind noise. My wife complains she can't even hear me over it. I took it in to Tesla twice, the first time they did nothing, the second time they adjusted the window positioning and it did help a little. However they gave me Uber credits to ride home, and the cheap lexus, as well as the model S they gave me a few days later as a loaner were both like 10000 times quieter. I tried buying some rubber insulation strips for the windows, and that helped but the adhesive didn't stay. I'm searching for another solution. Other folks if you're not sure: I tried taping over all the window seals and it was significantly quieter. For $65000 I would expect something better than a Ford Focus.

Without a doubt my Model 3 Performance has very high wind noise. My wife complains she can't even hear me over it. I took it in to Tesla twice, the first time they did nothing, the second time they adjusted the window positioning and it did help a little. However they gave me Uber credits to ride home, and the cheap lexus, as well as the model S they gave me a few days later as a loaner were both like 10000 times quieter. I tried buying some rubber insulation strips for the windows, and that helped but the adhesive didn't stay. I'm searching for another solution. Other folks if you're not sure: I tried taping over all the window seals and it was significantly quieter. For $65000 I would expect something better than a Ford Focus.

My solution is to turn the sound system up when on the highway. Not joking. Replace annoying sounds with pleasant ones.

• Disagree
Reactions: mswlogo
I'm researching the 3, and it's borderline noisy with the stock 18s. I wanted to comment people need to specify WHICH TIRES their cars have. The P version has summer tires, which area much noisier. The LR AWD has grand touring all-seasons. I test-drove the LR AWD M3 with the stock 18 aeros (which I don't like, but just learned they have covers that can be removed), with 235/45/18 Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires (Grand Touring All-seasons, as mentioned above). The optional 19s for the LR AWD are 235/40/19 Continental ProContact RX, which are also Grand Touring All-season, so basically the same category of tires with identical width, so any difference in noise is strictly the brand of tire and pressures. The salesman couldn't find tire pressures on the car, so I never knew its pressures ,but tires seemed overinflated to me. By the way, my wife's current car has exactly those tires (235/45/18 Primacy MXM4s) on her 2016 Kia Optima SX Limited, and both cars are about the same, which is not what I was expecting. I thought the M3 should be quieter, not only for the price, but for not having an ICE.

Anyway, seems like the MXM4 tires are quieter than the Contis due to a video posted on page 2 of this thread. I was only considering the 19s because we didn't like the aero wheels, but if they look better without the covers, problem solved then. But may I ask if the car is any louder without the covers on the highway? I wouldn't want to make it any noisier. Not sure if my wife will want an M3 right now, especially without a local dealer, and that it's not any quieter than her car, but we'll see. If not now, maybe in the future. For that money, the other choice is the Genesis G80 Sport, which is much quieter and luxurious, and with 500+ range (we travel a lot, and hardly stop). This is a great source of information. Glad I found it :).

I'm researching the 3, and it's borderline noisy with the stock 18s. I wanted to comment people need to specify WHICH TIRES their cars have. The P version has summer tires, which area much noisier. The LR AWD has grand touring all-seasons. I test-drove the LR AWD M3 with the stock 18 aeros (which I don't like, but just learned they have covers that can be removed), with 235/45/18 Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires (Grand Touring All-seasons, as mentioned above). The optional 19s for the LR AWD are 235/40/19 Continental ProContact RX, which are also Grand Touring All-season, so basically the same category of tires with identical width, so any difference in noise is strictly the brand of tire and pressures. The salesman couldn't find tire pressures on the car, so I never knew its pressures ,but tires seemed overinflated to me. By the way, my wife's current car has exactly those tires (235/45/18 Primacy MXM4s) on her 2016 Kia Optima SX Limited, and both cars are about the same, which is not what I was expecting. I thought the M3 should be quieter, not only for the price, but for not having an ICE.

Anyway, seems like the MXM4 tires are quieter than the Contis due to a video posted on page 2 of this thread. I was only considering the 19s because we didn't like the aero wheels, but if they look better without the covers, problem solved then. But may I ask if the car is any louder without the covers on the highway? I wouldn't want to make it any noisier. Not sure if my wife will want an M3 right now, especially without a local dealer, and that it's not any quieter than her car, but we'll see. If not now, maybe in the future. For that money, the other choice is the Genesis G80 Sport, which is much quieter and luxurious, and with 500+ range (we travel a lot, and hardly stop). This is a great source of information. Glad I found it :).
The Model 3 is not the quietest at highway speed, but it is a far better driving experience than you’ll get with an ICE to include the G80. There is no perfect vehicle out there so buy something that checks the boxes that are most important to you. Personally, I’ll take the louder noise in order to enjoy all the other benefits.

Reactions: raptor5244
My solution is to turn the sound system up when on the highway. Not joking. Replace annoying sounds with pleasant ones.

That's like saying a bathroom stinker is cleared by a some perfume spray :)

Do you pull over to make phone calls? Not Joking, because I think the radio mutes during phone calls, at least it did the last time I tried.

Model 3 was just awful noise wise and it's not just wind, but tire noise is just as bad.

I eventually fixed it by replacing it with a Model X. And I don't have to pull over for my wife to hear me on the phone. Or sitting next to me.

I did try on Model 3:

Tesla Sun Screen Front and Back (helped a lot).
Max 3DPider cabin, frunk, rear cargo and lower trunk. I put these over all factory carpets to double up.
Stuffed Frunk with blankets.
I did the DIY door gaskets (Model X does have triple gaskets).
I did the RPM Tesla Noise Suppressing gasket.
X-Ice 18" snows were quiet.
Pirelli 19" P7+ tires were better than 18" Primacy.
I planned to do something with the rear deck under rear window but never got around to it.
I always ran door tag Cold PSI which was 42 psi for AWD Stealth.

Overall it was about as good as a Toyota corolla (with the above items).
It was way worse than that before the above work. It was tollerable but still disappointing.

Luckily I'm not a fast driver. It got really bad over 65 mph which is infrequent for me.

• Informative
Reactions: GZDongles
That's like saying a bathroom stinker is cleared by a some perfume spray :)

Do you pull over to make phone calls? Not Joking, because I think the radio mutes during phone calls, at least it did the last time I tried.

Model 3 was just awful noise wise and it's not just wind, but tire noise is just as bad.

I eventually fixed it by replacing it with a Model X. And I don't have to pull over for my wife to hear me on the phone. Or sitting next to me.

I did try on Model 3:

Tesla Sun Screen Front and Back (helped a lot).
Max 3DPider cabin, frunk, rear cargo and lower trunk. I put these over all factory carpets to double up.
Stuffed Frunk with blankets.
I did the DIY door gaskets (Model X does have triple gaskets).
I did the RPM Tesla Noise Suppressing gasket.
X-Ice 18" snows were quiet.
Pirelli 19" P7+ tires were better than 18" Primacy.
I planned to do something with the rear deck under rear window but never got around to it.
I always ran door tag Cold PSI which was 42 psi for AWD Stealth.

Overall it was about as good as a Toyota corolla (with the above items).
It was way worse than that before the above work. It was tollerable but still disappointing.

Luckily I'm not a fast driver. It got really bad over 65 mph which is infrequent for me.

I think the noise level is subjective. You are probably conditioned to a quieter cabin so the noise level in the Model 3 is very loud and annoying to you. The other thing is that if you remove engine and exhaust noise at highway speeds you are left with more noticeable wind and tire noise.

I haven’t had any issues with phone calls at highway speeds of 70mph + and I have the 20” performance tires.

Reactions: Florafauna