Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Master Plan 2, 3 & 4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am surprised that there is a master plan 4.

It probably means that the mission is going to be more broadly defined,

Yes, there will be a lot of focus on AI and Robots, but we already know that.

Will the mission be extended to other areas?

Last edited:
I am surprised that there is a master plan 4.

It probably means that the mission is going to be more broadly defined,

Yes, there will be a lot of focus on AI and Robots, but we already know that.

Will the mission be extended to other areas?
I say it will be only about AI and bots, as 3 was pretty much focused on sustainability and they really haven't made ways on any of it. Feels like Tesla didn't really finish this book and decided to move on to the next one....

Screenshot 2024-06-17 194049.jpg

Reactions: MC3OZ
Isn't the entire point of a "Master Plan" is that you only need one?
What part of the word "Part" do you not understand?

Oh wait I used that word to ask the question so you won't understand the question either.

Just to put the actual answer in print, there is only one Tesla Master Plan, but it does have several parts. Again I've used that word that confuses you.

What part of the word "Part" do you not understand?

Oh wait I used that word to ask the question so you won't understand the question either.

Just to put the actual answer in print, there is only one Tesla Master Plan, but it does have several parts. Again I've used that word that confuses you.
He keeps adding parts .
More like addendums as he thinks up new stuff.

Tesla Master Plan Part 1-3 is about "stop digging the hole"

Part 4 might be how to "fill the hole in" - ie undo the release of carbon by removing it

LARGEST INCENTIVE PRIZE IN HISTORY

$100 Million Prize Purse

XPRIZE Carbon Removal is aimed at tackling the biggest threat facing humanity - fighting climate change and rebalancing Earth’s carbon cycle. Funded by Elon Musk and the Musk Foundation, this $100M competition is the largest incentive prize in history, an extraordinary milestone.‎
The numbers represent the number of teams in each location (drill down for more detail eg 3 in Cambridge, UK). Filter for the Top 20 of Phase 2

1718714337795.png

Tesla Master Plan Part 1-3 is about "stop digging the hole"

Part 4 might be how to "fill the hole in" - ie undo the release of carbon by removing it

The numbers represent the number of teams in each location (drill down for more detail eg 3 in Cambridge, UK). Filter for the Top 20 of Phase 2

View attachment 1057491
Technology to remove carbon is a fool's errand. Too expensive for very little return. The thermodynamics are stacked against you.
The only effective way to remove carbon is to stop destroying the environment.
Stop burning stuff
Stop clearing land for animal agriculture
Let nature Rewild the land

Reactions: jkirkwood001
Technology to remove carbon is a fool's errand. Too expensive for very little return. The thermodynamics are stacked against you.
The only effective way to remove carbon is to stop destroying the environment.
Stop burning stuff
Stop clearing land for animal agriculture
Let nature Rewild the land

In Europe, there are times when wholesale electricity prices are negative.

Storage & interconnects to other countries help, but still those negative prices exist. Some domestic customers get paid to use electricity. Good time to charge cars, do washing & drying and charge storage batteries, but some (even if only a few people) deliberately put on ovens etc that aren't being used productively.

What you've said is partly "stop digging". The rewilding part (eg Scottish rainforest recreation/extension) is a useful - maybe slow part of "start filling".

If we take what Tony Seba has said at face value, the cheapest renewables need storage and 3-5 times the renewables (wind, solar, hydro) compared to typical or peak load (eg 50GW peak, install 150-250GW of renewables plus 50-100 GWh storage - example numbers for illustration only, I haven't done the maths). Most of the time they might produce 80-200% of momentary needs (figures just for argument). Anything above 100% goes to storage. When storage is full - electricity is then free and available for tasks which would otherwise be uneconomic.

If your argument revolves around greenwashing via fossil fuel companies promising to pump CO2 down wells and getting money for it - I'd agree. I don't think any of those will be winning X prizes.

"WE WANT TEAMS TO BUILD REAL SYSTEMS THAT CAN MAKE A MEASURABLE IMPACT AT A GIGATON LEVEL. WHATEVER IT TAKES. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE."

Elon Musk

Co-founder and CEO of Tesla, SpaceX, Neuralink and The Boring Company

I'm not going to go through all of the top 20, but Lithos Carbon | Permanent Carbon Capture on Farms plans to add crushed basalt to farmland for better crops and removal of carbon Lithos Carbon | Permanent Carbon Capture on Farms

Arguably, it might speed up rewilding efforts too, becoming a multiplier to rewilding and getting plants to a larger size, more resilient phase of growth and maturity. many rewilding sites have had their nutrients removed due to intensive overuse, beaver killing and floods. Adding a bit of basalt dust by drone speeds up natural weathering of rocks by many times due to huge increase in surface area.

Basalt is the most abundant volcanic rock on earth, loaded with essential plant nutrients like iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and calcium. Applying basalt rock dust provides a steady nutrient flow to your field as it decomposes and sequesters carbon.

With 3 tons of basalt application you can capture up to 1 ton of CO2. Our software optimizes both for crop yield and carbon capture — making your land as productive as possible while you earn revenue from carbon removal.

Last edited:
In Europe, there are times when wholesale electricity prices are negative.

Storage & interconnects to other countries help, but still those negative prices exist. Some domestic customers get paid to use electricity. Good time to charge cars, do washing & drying and charge storage batteries, but some (even if only a few people) deliberately put on ovens etc that aren't being used productively.

What you've said is partly "stop digging". The rewilding part (eg Scottish rainforest recreation/extension) is a useful - maybe slow part of "start filling".

If we take what Tony Seba has said at face value, the cheapest renewables need storage and 3-5 times the renewables (wind, solar, hydro) comapred to typical or peak load. Most of the time they might produce 80-200% of momentary needs (figures just for argument). Anything above 100% goes to storage. When storage is full - electricity is then free and available for tasks which would otherwise be uneconomic.

If your argument revolves around greenwashing via fossil fuel companies promising to pump CO2 down wells and getting money for it - I'd agree. I don't think any of those will be winning X prizes.

I'm not going to go through all of the top 20, but Lithos Carbon | Permanent Carbon Capture on Farms plans to add crushed basalt to farmland for better crops and removal of carbon Lithos Carbon | Permanent Carbon Capture on Farms

Arguably, it might speed up rewilding efforts too, becoming a multiplier to rewilding and getting plants to a larger size, more resilient phase of growth and maturity. many rewilding sites have had their nutrients removed due to intensive overuse, beaver killing and floods. Adding a bit of basalt dust by drone speeds up natural weathering of rocks by many times due to huge increase in surface area.
You make some good points but the example of adding basalt to farmland is part of the problem. It's an attempt to remediate damage at great expense. Best to just stop farming and let the land regenerate. It will capture much more carbon as a forest.
(70% of farm land is used to support animal agriculture which is damaging to the environment.)

Reactions: jkirkwood001
My take on it is a bit different:
1. Stop burning fossils
2. THEN, carbon removal might have a place at the discussion table

The current idea of carbon removal to allow ongoing carbon pollution is beyond idiotic
Master Plan Parts 1-3 (if implemented) might take us close to your first condition.

On X, I've asked a number of environmentalists and orgs about Tesla MP3.

No replies. They should be advocating for it's steps.

I predict part 4 is after we've largely stopped burning fossils.

Elon, Tesla are thinking long term. If Elon dies before part 3 is implemented, at least we have a blueprint for the next stage.

View attachment 1057594View attachment 1057595

One could argue they haven't completed the 3rd point of Part 1. They've completed basically none of Part 2. And I'm not aware of anything they've done to make headway on Part 3.

But sure, we need a Part 4 lol
Do you complete every part of a plan before planning the next steps? Parallel better than series! Also, Elon thinks in probabilities more than most people do. Absolutes aren't always helpful except to unreasonable critics (Fred Who?)

Make plan
Execute every part (even beyond your control)
Stop until whole plan complete - waste time
Think
New plan
Repeat

Or

Make first plan
Execute and in parallel create next plan (part)
Repeat

Reactions: VIKING26
Make first plan
Execute and in parallel create next plan (part)
Repeat
Agree. The Master Plan is supposed to be aspirational. Sure the first one was step by step instructions. After that it’s a list of goals. Some goals are stretch goals, eg Part 2’s Enable your car to make money for you when you aren't using it. Not all goals are met but progress towards goals is better than nothing.

Reactions: UkNorthampton