Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 braking very late on auto pilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Using the Stop light and sign function with TAAC or AP mine does this on occasion but not consistently. Sometimes gets to 400ft before I get the Stopping for Traffic Control message, and that usually occurs between 700 and 500 feet. If there are cars already at the light it does a pretty hard stop sometimes. Seems like there is a delay getting the GPS signal or something because it will operate perfectly at the same light at other times.

I'm never the first to defend AutoPilot, but hear me out.

I'm a "gentle" driver in that I conserve momentum where possible and primarily used gearing in ICE vehicles for slowing down. My Honda Crosstour with ~165,000km had well over 50% of the original brake pads remaining when I sold it. So basically, I'm already an outlier for my braking habits.

When we got the Model 3 and compared to our occasional drives in the remaining ICE (Honda Fit), I drive even gentler in the Model 3. I use regen way before lights. AP's behaviour at lights is so far away from how I personally drive that it will always feel abrupt, but I think the availability of regen makes us react more than we normally would to things ahead (i.e. where I would coast in ICE, I'm doing very light regen in the Model 3).

So like you mentioned, there's all this opportunity for regen that we would normally lightly use, but it's not necessarily or even normal compared to how the rest of the vehicles in the world are driving. I do still think it's too late/abrupt even in consideration of this, but also see that my super coasting light regen behaviours is completely unlike how most people drive other vehicles, yet encouraged by how the pedal works.

yeah.... brakes way too late and then it brakes hard. Must have narrowed the braking zone in front of the car so it ignores the stopped cars in the next lane as well.

TACC (Traffic Aware Cruise Control) has to ignore non-moving objects in order to work at all (for all manufactures), which is why you can slam into a firetruck that is a partly in your lane. But it will stop for a car in your lane... so far :)

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
You might have a covered sensor or even a bad one, I took the Model Y out for a ride Saturday morning to try out Auto Pilot for the very first time and while following a car it kept the 3 car distance and reacted very well with speed changes with that car in front of me. My Model 3 does not have Auto Pilot.

Fred

You might have a covered sensor or even a bad one, I took the Model Y out for a ride Saturday morning to try out Auto Pilot for the very first time and while following a car it kept the 3 car distance and reacted very well with speed changes with that car in front of me. My Model 3 does not have Auto Pilot.

Fred

Where it happens for me is when approaching a stop light with stopped cars ahead. For example, at 40 mph, it would continue at 40 all the way and start braking just before it reaches the cars. The braking isn't particularly hard, just harder than it should be. Ideally, it should start slowing gradually as it gets closer to the light. While moving with traffic, it doesn't seem to be an issue and reacts well to the vehicle in front. I've tried setting 5 car lengths which helped. 7 was too much.

Reactions: lUtriaNt