Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 braking very late on auto pilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone feel that their Model 3 brakes very late when in traffic on city streets with auto pilot? I didn't notice this problem until most recently but when my car is doing 60-80 km/h (~40-50 mph) I get nervous and feel like it's going to slam into the back of stopped traffic. I can see the screen pictures still applying power when it should be switching to regenerative braking.

The problem is so bad that I now hover my foot over the brake (to start emergency braking) as I approach stopped traffic and don't want to use AP in city driving anymore.

P.S. I'm currently on 2020.16.2.1 in Canada and still do not traffic light/sign stopping.

Does anyone feel that their Model 3 brakes very late when in traffic on city streets with auto pilot? I didn't notice this problem until most recently but when my car is doing 60-80 km/h (~40-50 mph) I get nervous and feel like it's going to slam into the back of stopped traffic. I can see the screen pictures still applying power when it should be switching to regenerative braking.

The problem is so bad that I now hover my foot over the brake (to start emergency braking) as I approach stopped traffic and don't want to use AP in city driving anymore.

P.S. I'm currently on 2020.16.2.1 in Canada and still do not traffic light/sign stopping.

I’m a new Model 3 owner so I don’t have anything to compare to other versions (however I already got an upgrade in that time) but I can confirm that I also feel the same. I learnt to “trust” the car now but I would feel much more comfortable if the car would start braking much sooner than it does that’s for sure. I’m also in Canada with AP only.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
You can increase the follow distance to "7" or 3.5 secs, presumably. That should give you lots of gap. And, can't you lower your speed that is set?

In my case, once the traffic is flowing the current distance I have is great. Problem that I have and I believe is the same OP has is when there is no car in front of you and then further ahead there’s a car stopped in a red light. The car waits until the last second to start braking, and it does safely in my case, but geez it could really be more “gentle” lol

• Funny
Reactions: GSP and KenC
You can increase the follow distance to "7" or 3.5 secs, presumably. That should give you lots of gap. And, can't you lower your speed that is set?

Thanks, I've got it set to max (7) and still feel unsafe. I guess I should lower the speed (7-10km over).

I’m a new Model 3 owner so I don’t have anything to compare to other versions (however I already got an upgrade in that time) but I can confirm that I also feel the same. I learnt to “trust” the car now but I would feel much more comfortable if the car would start braking much sooner than it does that’s for sure. I’m also in Canada with AP only.

Glad I'm not alone on this feeling. A couple time's I've hit the brakes to override AP I had to brake really hard, almost like emergency braking without locking up the wheels but enough that my family feels like there is a problem.

In my case, once the traffic is flowing the current distance I have is great. Problem that I have and I believe is the same OP has is when there is no car in front of you and then further ahead there’s a car stopped in a red light. The car waits until the last second to start braking, and it does safely in my case, but geez it could really be more “gentle” lol

Yup, that's how it feels.

Reactions: VBCanada
Ever since 2020.12 it breaks too late when approaching traffic stopped at a light. I disconnect AP as i approach traffic now to slow gently and re-engage when i get closer. Before it used to be too early and I had to tap the accelerator. Hopefully the next update they will find the sweet spot. Currently I'm on 2020.16.2.1.

Does anyone feel that their Model 3 brakes very late when in traffic on city streets with auto pilot? I didn't notice this problem until most recently but when my car is doing 60-80 km/h (~40-50 mph) I get nervous and feel like it's going to slam into the back of stopped traffic.
A year and a half ago, at the start of driving a Tesla I'd be a little nervous like this.

Now I'm slightly annoyed how much a coward AP is. It could totally get me to stopped in line at the light a few 1/10th's of a second sooner. :p Being a "backseat driver" sitting behind the steering wheel is just something you need to get used to, the trust has to build up.

I can see the screen pictures still applying power when it should be switching to regenerative braking.
? I'm unclear on this?

Okay, I understand your issue now. I just use the scroll wheel, and give it a quick flick, that lowers my set speed 5mph. In kph, I don't know if it'll be 8kph. Then, any late braking doesn't feel so sudden, braking from a slower speed.

Ever since 2020.12 it breaks too late when approaching traffic stopped at a light. I disconnect AP as i approach traffic now to slow gently and re-engage when i get closer. Before it used to be too early and I had to tap the accelerator. Hopefully the next update they will find the sweet spot. Currently I'm on 2020.16.2.1.

I believe it was one of these later updates myself. I can't remember having this issue until recently. I usually lower the speed, but my foot hovers over the brake in these situations. Will try to set 7-car lengths to see if it helps.

Glad I'm not alone on this feeling. A couple time's I've hit the brakes to override AP I had to brake really hard, almost like emergency braking without locking up the wheels but enough that my family feels like there is a problem.
Yeah, I feel AP could do a much better job of regen breaking before applying actual brakes. It waits too long then slams the brakes hard vs making a gradual stop. Setting the follow distance did seems to help in this regard, for me, but I hate leaving large gaps that other's try to stuff themselves into. The braking has been bad enough that I just don't use it when there are a lot of stop lights, but on the freeway in stop and go traffic it's a gem!

Maybe they're related. The more I think about my issue and the one encountered in that crash the more I think that Tesla cameras are poor at discerning non-moving/stopped objects on their own. Add to that a limited range of ultrasonic sensors (maybe 100 yards?) and this can cause a problem for braking for stopped traffic.

It would make sense that my M3 doesn't brake when I think it should because the camera doesn't interpret stopped traffic correctly and doesn't trigger regen braking until the front ultrasonic sensor pick up it's there.

Tesla should be able to fix this problem by running more images/scenarios of situations it should stop through the AI neural algorithms and improve the camera response.