Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 charging slow.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have Model 3 and Model Y. When charging from a 230 V 40 amp circuit. Model 3 charges at only 5 KW. I disconnect from Model 3 and plug in Model Y, it charges at 22 KW.
What is wrong with Model 3?

Are you sure you are charging at 22KW? I am not sure this is possible from 230 V 40 amp circuit. Are you using the Tesla Mobile connector or the Tesla Wall charger?

Hopefully someone smarter than me chimes in because I never knew 22KW charging at home with a Tesla was possible (max I thought I had seen was 11.5KW).

I have Model 3 and Model Y. When charging from a 230 V 40 amp circuit. Model 3 charges at only 5 KW. I disconnect from Model 3 and plug in Model Y, it charges at 22 KW.
What is wrong with Model 3?

You seem to be mixing things up, so it is hard to answer your questions. We need the following to help you:
  • Are you using the Tesla Wall Connector, a Tesla Mobile Connector, or something else and if so what is it?
  • If you are not using the wall connector then you are plugging it into an outlet. What is the outlet type? It could a NEMA 10-30, 14-30, 14-50, or 6-50. Hopefully it is the 14-50!
  • Are you using any adapters other than the one for the mobile connector itself (if that is what you are using)?
  • When charging, open the charging menu. On this screen you can set the max charging rate. If you see a plus symbol you are not charging at the maximum rate so hit the plus symbol until it disappears. Do this in both cars. This is a location specific setting.
  • Finally, on the charging screen, you should see two numbers separated by a “/“ such as 32/32. What does it say in each car?

Last edited:
I'll make a guess and say OP is mixing up A (amps) with kW. Which means both vehicles are not operating to spec. 40A circuit means 32A max. for charging current. At that rate one would expect around 27-30 miles of range per hour. However, there's no NEMA plug rated for 40A so there's a possibility that a 14-30 adapter is being used which means 22MPH would be correct.

Reactions: byeLT4
With 230v being cited I briefly thought we were talking about something international but the zip code in the profile is Southern CA.

Safe to say there’s no sense to be made of this post given the info provided and I kinda doubt OP is ever coming back to clarify.

Reactions: garth_angst
With 230v being cited I briefly thought we were talking about something international but the zip code in the profile is Southern CA.

Safe to say there’s no sense to be made of this post given the info provided and I kinda doubt OP is ever coming back to clarify.
It's been over a year since OP registered here before making this (first) post.

That's a very good question. to get 5kW at 240V, you'd be looking at 24 amps or even less.
Maybe he's got a wall connector and ended up configuring it for a 30a breaker (aiming at 32a charging) instead of for a 40a breaker. If he's actually seeing 230v on his screen, 24a@240v = 5.5kW, which might round to a display of 5kW. If the OP will report the amp display or just post a picture of his charging screen, and tell us what kind of EVSE (connector) he has, then we'll know.

Last edited: