Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD - 4x4 test on rollers

What Tesla Model 3 are you driving RWD or AWD

• RWD

Votes: 40 35.4%
  • AWD

Votes: 73 64.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the 2019 hybrid RAV4 does. He has a video of that too. It does better and only fails the two front wheels and one rear wheel on rollers.

@Snow Drift suggests that on the previous generation Toyota AWD-i system, there just isn't enough torque available from the rear motor to move the vehicle off the rollers. Apparently it takes more than 600 pounds of force. I guess to be "fair" (it really is already fair since all vehicles are tested the same way) (or to check this hypothesis) they should put the rear wheels on solid platforms to level the vehicle, or even tilt it in a downhill direction.

It's also strange to me in the rollers on one side test, that these vehicles don't even attempt to brake the spinning wheels. Presumably it is possible from a hardware perspective. I guess I should check out the 2019 and figure out what year of Hybrid he was testing in the video above. EDIT: Looks like a 2017.

To me it just seems odd. I don't know the specs on the 2019 rear motor in the Rav4, but based on it being the same for the last 10 years or whatever, it probably hasn't changed in terms of output torque & reduction - though maybe they went to a Lexus version with more wheel torque and lower high speed efficiency - so it's generally a bit surprising it suddenly starts working in 2019.

Last edited:
so it's generally a bit surprising it suddenly starts working in 2019.
It could have been a software tweak they added with some S/C-T/C using the brakes as you posit is theoretically possible. Remember that software for non-Tesla vehicles is locked into their production year (unless you're going to a 3rd part ECU flash or something). Relatively minor improvements like that can usually only come with the new model year.

It could have been a software tweak they added with some S/C-T/C using the brakes as you posit is theoretically possible. Remember that software for non-Tesla vehicles is locked into their production year (unless you're going to a 3rd part ECU flash or something). Relatively minor improvements like that can usually only come with the new model year.

Yes. So likely 535 pounds of force is enough to roll the vehicle off. Just not with the software on the vehicles before 2019. Seems like that is what the evidence says, unless they updated the electric motor or reduction.

In any case, nice to be able to get software updates on the Tesla to be able to fix problems. Ideally things would be right in the first place, but apparently non-optimal performance below what is possible is common to all manufacturers.

I don't see it. Look at the test where the front wheels are on rollers. There is zero torque to the front wheels, they don't slip at all. They should have done a test with all the wheels on rollers. It would be much more clear. A car with a symmetrical AWD system would just spin all the wheels. The Model 3 would spin the rear and then the front and then probably oscillate between the two.

Good point; I stand corrected.

Not sure about the oscillating, though. Can easily see several other algos for cycling based on what wheels are slipping.