Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 is fundamentally changing the company

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And don't forget, a busy gas station sells a gazillion gallons of gas every month -- better to cover average costs. SuperChargers sit empty most of the day. Average costs?

Good points. Also talking with the managers of QTs and Circle Ks here in Arizona, it’s not the gas that is the profit center and covering operational costs, it’s all the candy, beer, lotto, food and convenience items that people buy along with the gas.

No way Tesla should be looking to become a gas station. What would alleviate this would be the multiple people abusing the unlimited supercharging by supercharging locally.

Hopefully some of the local supercharging abuse will be alleviated when many of the Referral 6 month free people run out of free supercharging.

I'm glad Tesla is raising prices on supercharging. they should cover their SC expenses and enough over to pay for additional capacity without contributing to their capital expenses. Most charging is at home and SCs should be for out of town trips.
I also am glad they are getting rid of referral deals and hopefully any other sales promotions.
Lastly I'm grossed out by the suggestion that Tesla would ever have dealers. The single number one reason I bought a Tesla is that there ARE NO DEALERS. I love the Tesla support model and have had no problems with it. Obviously they will expand their facilities with time. The M3 has only been selling in large numbers for a few months.

Even with some of the year end cluster, it was a lot nicer to buy a car from Tesla than any of my prior experiences with dealers. No game, no BS. Everyone pays the same price. Car was delivered to my house by a nice and helpful person who actually seemed stoked with his job. I hope that third party dealers slowly disappear. Wouldn't miss any of them.

Actually we love our Tesla so much that we sold the gas car and replaced it with a 3. Both cars are fully charged every morning, yeah!

I think that there is a possibility that Tesla may put out of business a few established players if they can execute perfectly over the next few years.

Reactions: tomas
Unfortunately true
The worst part about it is that no one ever considers the bigger picture, we are so self absorbed we dont see the global impact, the local destruction of our highways by big rigs dragging tanker loads of explosive gasoline through our neighborhoods and the wear and tear on our bridges and roads. Pregnant moms standing next to their car inhaling gasoline vapors and having it get into their blood stream while filling their gas tanks weekly, disrupting the development of the fetus. The massive Co2 explosion in our atmosphere and the impact on diatoms the primary driver of life in our oceans and planet. The payment of large sums of petrol cash dollars to known terrorism sponsoring states and entities , who don't share our views on human rights or even equal rights for women. Finally the environmental racism, that impacts communities that have to live next to these industrial facilities that produce volatile, toxic and carcinogenic compounds.

I could write for days about friends who sit in VA hospitals, due to scars of war related to the geopolitical environment.... but that will just piss me off even more.

On a happier note, a couple of pennies more given to Tesla and the thousands taken away from the cartel above, puts a big smile on my face, that and watching every other car disappear into the rearview mirror. Right?

Ahhh, we return to the urban vs suburban vs rural trilemma. The more urban the less likely to having "home" charging options. The less home density the more likely to have home charging options. I bet Tesla would really love to be able to solve the problem but it is much bigger than one company can solve. And that is one thing all the manufacturers know.

Ahhh, we return to the urban vs suburban vs rural trilemma. The more urban the less likely to having "home" charging options. The less home density the more likely to have home charging options. I bet Tesla would really love to be able to solve the problem but it is much bigger than one company can solve. And that is one thing all the manufacturers know.
Street parking is a tough nut to crack in the US, but shared private parking is not. It will not be the manfacturers that solve it, but the people that demand L2

Last edited:
Ahhh, we return to the urban vs suburban vs rural trilemma. The more urban the less likely to having "home" charging options. The less home density the more likely to have home charging options. I bet Tesla would really love to be able to solve the problem but it is much bigger than one company can solve.

It's really not though.

The majority of people in the US, even in urban areas, live in single family homes (a very few insanely big cities notwithstanding).

Even if 100% of people who did not live in such homes had 0 home charging options (and that's not the case) there'd be still hundreds of times more americans who do live in such homes than the total # of cars Tesla can build in a year, let alone sell just in the US.

The worst part about it is that no one ever considers the bigger picture, we are so self absorbed we dont see the global impact, the local destruction of our highways by big rigs dragging tanker loads of explosive gasoline through our neighborhoods and the wear and tear on our bridges and roads. Pregnant moms standing next to their car inhaling gasoline vapors and having it get into their blood stream while filling their gas tanks weekly, disrupting the development of the fetus. The massive Co2 explosion in our atmosphere and the impact on diatoms the primary driver of life in our oceans and planet. The payment of large sums of petrol cash dollars to known terrorism sponsoring states and entities , who don't share our views on human rights or even equal rights for women. Finally the environmental racism, that impacts communities that have to live next to these industrial facilities that produce volatile, toxic and carcinogenic compounds.

I could write for days about friends who sit in VA hospitals, due to scars of war related to the geopolitical environment.... but that will just piss me off even more.

On a happier note, a couple of pennies more given to Tesla and the thousands taken away from the cartel above, puts a big smile on my face, that and watching every other car disappear into the rearview mirror. Right?
I wish there were multiple likes to give. Well put, and it’s not a freaking “view” up for debate, it is fact and our children’s destiny.