Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 KW packs and specs ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good point. Gives me the idea that Tesla might stop having 2 battery choices on each model/generation? Maybe Model 3/Y (gen-III) will get a 60-70kWh battery only, and Model S/X (gen-II) will have just a 90-100kWh battery? No need for a 70kWh entry-level car on Gen-II when you have Gen-III as entry-level. And this may be the differentiation between Gen-III and Gen-II that some people here calls for.

I don't like this idea, but I could see this happening. On ICE vehicles, you don't see gas tank size options, but each model may have a different size of tank. A BWM 7 series gas tank is 33% larger than a BMW 3 series, and this is fairly common... but its purpose is to achieve a similar driving range from model to model.

But, a BMW 3 series range is supposedly 474 miles per tank if you take the: tank size * ((city + highway) / 2)
And, a BMW 7 series range is supposedly 515 miles per tank if you take the: tank size * ((city + highway) / 2)

Just let it sink in...

Yup, you figured it out. ICE vehicles have one thing going for them... longer range per "fill-up," thus less frequent "fill-ups."

I'm just saying, Teslas view of the flagship (premium, or what ever way the more expensive model is viewed) becomes uncoupled to entry level price point the moment the model 3 starts production. And battery pack isn't where I think the line is drawn. The Model S had to appeal to a large audience to command success of the whole picture. The moment the Model 3 is available the model S can venture out to be the flagship of Tesla. This has profound avenues that only a few at Tesla have even a glimpse at. It's very narrow-minded to look at it from a consumer stand point were every belief is related to personal wants and dislikes.

I'm just saying, Teslas view of the flagship (premium, or what ever way the more expensive model is viewed) becomes uncoupled to entry level price point the moment the model 3 starts production. And battery pack isn't where I think the line is drawn. The Model S had to appeal to a large audience to command success of the whole picture. The moment the Model 3 is available the model S can venture out to be the flagship of Tesla. This has profound avenues that only a few at Tesla have even a glimpse at. It's very narrow-minded to look at it from a consumer stand point were every belief is related to personal wants and dislikes.

Prime example is the door handles. Every post about the Model 3 door handles starts with " hope they are mechanical not like the model S". Tesla just released the model X with push buttons. Elon has been very open about the fact that tesla want to make design changes but has to take baby steps. Like the false grill on the Model S.

Take a look at tesla's from roadster to model 3.

Grill, false grill, suggested grill, ....
Hidden door handle, pop out handle that isn't mechanical, push button non mechanical handle, .....

I'm expecting neither a grill or any external door handles.

Nice perspective.
Basically, as soon as the Model ☰ releases, it allows Tesla to really get creative and make the Model S a real flagship and try out stuff that will appear in the cheaper cars later.

I don't like this idea, but I could see this happening. On ICE vehicles, you don't see gas tank size options, but each model may have a different size of tank. A BWM 7 series gas tank is 33% larger than a BMW 3 series, and this is fairly common... but its purpose is to achieve a similar driving range from model to model.

But, a BMW 3 series range is supposedly 474 miles per tank if you take the: tank size * ((city + highway) / 2)
And, a BMW 7 series range is supposedly 515 miles per tank if you take the: tank size * ((city + highway) / 2)

Just let it sink in...

Yup, you figured it out. ICE vehicles have one thing going for them... longer range per "fill-up," thus less frequent "fill-ups."
But there is another factor in the battery/gas tank comparison. A bigger battery also equates to a bigger ICE engine. You can get more power out of a larger battery. Couple this with Tesla also getting a premium (read $$$) by offering a bigger battery and you can see why there will be at least 2 battery options for each model.

But there is another factor in the battery/gas tank comparison. A bigger battery also equates to a bigger ICE engine. You can get more power out of a larger battery. Couple this with Tesla also getting a premium (read $$$) by offering a bigger battery and you can see why there will be at least 2 battery options for each model.

Ya I don't see Tesla doing away with multiple batteries, just people keep referencing the battery when we talk about features. The Model S being flagship could have some amazing feature that people aren't familiar with yet.

If auto pilot is the future. Then being a passenger becomes the draw of design. I'm not saying that there isn't a driver. Just that maybe the driver doesn't need a steering wheel in the lap as a prominent feature.

If for example the Model 3 has greater range is telescopic steering. After autopilot is initiated the steering wheel could move much further forward. Still with in arms reach for corrective action but not necessarily for long term arm comfort. Have this feature motorized to slowly pull in the wheel after autopilot in gauges.

its also possible that we might see the end of the Model S70 altogether which would give even more headroom for the Model ☰ to grow into.
That would really take the Model S upmarket although they would have to increase the build quality to Model X quality.
I love one of the comparisons on this forum that said the Model S is built like a very good US made car - but the X was built like german car.

Last edited:
Looking at the Pack size issue from the aspect of economics:

Tesla Battery In The Model S Costs Of The Car In Most Cases - Inside EVs

CTO Straubel, in an interview (check above URL) claimed that the battery packs make up around 25% or less, of the total cost of a Model S. So, insideevs' crunched a few numbers and came up with a $238/kWh unit-cost price. This was back in 2013, mind you. So, let's just assume the cost has come down to around $220/kWh by now -- pretty conservative, imho.

Tesla Gigafactory | Tesla Motors

Above link (straight from the horse's mouth) shows that the minimum target of the Gigafactory is to bring the pack cost down by a further 30%. So, it's simple math to get the target unit-price for Model 3 packs -- $154/kWh. Let's be conservative and round that up to $160/kWh.

Now, assuming Tesla wants to maintain the same 25% cost ratio for the Model 3 packs, we can figure the base model (@ $35,000) will have a budget of $8,750 for the pack.
8,750/160 = 54.7kWh -- Basically, a 55kWh pack.

Now, the costliest BMW 3 series (non-M & non-GT) model is the 340i xDrive, at $48,000 Base MSRP. Assuming an equivalent Model 3 trim would cost $45,000 to stay competitive, 25% of that is $11,250.
11,250/160 = 70.3kWh --- Basically, a 70kWh pack.

So, here it goes:

Model 3-55 = BMW 328i
Model 3-55D = BMW 328i xDrive
Model 3-70 = BMW 340i
Model 3-70D = BMW 340i xDrive
Model 3-P70D = BMW M3

But again, I could be totally wrong :D