Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 KW packs and specs ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess is 60, 80 with the S/X having 80, 100. I don't see TM wanting to produce more than 3 different battery packs. They might even want to keep it to 2 meaning all models will have the same battery options.

My guess is 60, 80 with the S/X having 80, 100. I don't see TM wanting to produce more than 3 different battery packs. They might even want to keep it to 2 meaning all models will have the same battery options.

I can appreciate the simplicity of reducing the number of different parts in production, but the less that you design different from the S/X, the more that the Model ≡ will be like the S/X. We will see differentiation.

To use the same 2 packs in all 3 cars would require all 3 cars to have roughly identical length and width. This concept simply won't work while still accomplishing a 20% smaller car.

I can appreciate the simplicity of reducing the number of different parts in production, but the less that you design different from the S/X, the more that the Model ≡ will be like the S/X. We will see differentiation.

To use the same 2 packs in all 3 cars would require all 3 cars to have roughly identical length and width. This concept simply won't work while still accomplishing a 20% smaller car.
Now thats an interesting thought - can the current skateboard be reduced by 20% by moving wheel location or is wheelbase set by the size of the battery pack?

Now thats an interesting thought - can the current skateboard be reduced by 20% by moving wheel location or is wheelbase set by the size of the battery pack?

It looks like the Battery Pack is custom designed to fit the car's desired width and wheelbase.
In all honesty, hasn't Tesla already acknowledged that the Model ≡ is a whole new platform; thus indicating a new battery/chassis, new motors, new suspension, etc?

tesla-p-85d-chassis.png

And since there will be new battery technology maybe they could fit the same capacity into a smaller footprint which would fit in the Model ≡ as well as the Model S & X. Although I really think there will probably be 3 different packs, the middle size being shared by all models.

And since there will be new battery technology maybe they could fit the same capacity into a smaller footprint which would fit in the Model ≡ as well as the Model S & X. Although I really think there will probably be 3 different packs, the middle size being shared by all models.

Yeah, maybe there will be a pack adapter that you can put a Model 3 pack in to use it in a S/X. (Not likely since I seem to recall them saying that the battery cells would be taller in the new design, so the Model 3 pack will likely be taller, so would stick out of the bottom of the S/X.)

Of course they don't have to put the cells vertically, it just seems more efficient, so who knows what the new pack will end up looking like.

Tesla went to a totally different battery configuration when they changed from the Roadster to the Model S.

The Model X is built on the same configuration as the Model S, so they kept the battery the same.

With the Model 3, I would imaging they will redesign the battery pack to fit within the constraints of the new vehicle size. The battery and chassis will be designed together to optimize costs, safety, producibility, selling prices etc.

Expecting to second guess what Tesla will come out with, down to the battery size will be difficult. They will want to produce the finest smaller car they can. All these issues will come together as the vehicle develops. The mega factory may even produce a battery configuration never before commercially available.

Last edited:
Edit: nevermind. the 48kWh was a calculated number based on an 80% energy calculation on a current (2014) model S. I suppose that would equate to a 56kWh battery for 80% of today's Model S?

Correct. And I have been guessing at 55kWh... But remember that this is a approximately approach, so a 60kWh pack would still be within an acceptable margin.

If the Model 3 uses a steel body/frame then it's not going to be that much lighter than the aluminum S.

What is told is that Model 3 will not be that "all aluminium" like TMS/X. But it is not been talked about an "all steel" body/frame either, so I do expect it to be both steel and aluminium body/frame (and perhaps something else?), but more steel then on the TMS. So I do expect it to be lighter then the "all aluminium" TMS, but maybe not 20% lighter? Smaller battery with updated chemistry and form-factor will also reduce the weight of the TM3.

Try to avoid being too "bean-countery". It has to be a compelling car. If it eats into S and X sells, so what?
It is a totally new design down to the last bolt, a gen3 platform.
Forget about reusing S and X tech except from lessons learned.
If anything I expect the second gen S and X to use 3's battery modules in a different orientation to build a bigger pack (as Brad_NC laid out above but in opposite direction).
Cells will be a bit bigger (longer and fatter), there will be less of them.

Who cares about exact kWh. That will be optimized for car to get to set 240 EPA miles.

the smallest pack size will still have to meet the requirements of the supercharger network, so it has to be able to get at least 130 miles of charge in 20-30 minutes.
If it can't do that then it makes it much less useful and not in anyway compelling

The moment the model 3 comes out, model S and model X will not be held back by entry cost. The model S we know today will not be the same Model S after tesla has an entry model 3

Good point. Gives me the idea that Tesla might stop having 2 battery choices on each model/generation? Maybe Model 3/Y (gen-III) will get a 60-70kWh battery only, and Model S/X (gen-II) will have just a 90-100kWh battery? No need for a 70kWh entry-level car on Gen-II when you have Gen-III as entry-level. And this may be the differentiation between Gen-III and Gen-II that some people here calls for.