Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 owner unlocks car with her arm after implanting RFID chip in it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
>> Current generation RFID encryption, of which your credit cards, newer hotel keys, [Plug-n-Play]

I just wanna know what data is on my driver license scan strip (twilight zone theme playing . . .)
Also " " what is the size of this object that was implanted.
Also, come to think of it, I keep my ModelS about an hour away from home. Once I plumb forgot my key fob. Oy, that's 2 hours of my life I'll never get back. Kudos to this lady!!
--

... what is the size of this object that was implanted....
--

She shows it on the video.

I understand what she did, would not do it myself btw. But how about driving? You have to place the card on a certain spot to drive or are there other ways?

You just have to tap the card on the center console. The car recognizes it and then you can put it away. It does not have to stay there. If you step on the brake pedal within a set time of opening the car, you don't even have to tap the card on the center console.

I've read that one-quarter of the people who make it to the top of Everest die on the way down.

Nothing to do at all with the topic or your spot on responses to the topic, but let me clarity the often mid advertised Everest statistic. It usually—as you’ve read—says something to the effect of “if you make it to the top, there’s a 25% [or whatever] chance you might not make it home". In reality this statement is the result of two decoupled concepts that are being emotionally conflated into an otherwise more visceral response. (Not unlike many in this thread. ;)). The first is the total number of summits, the second is the total number of deaths [regardless if the climber summited before dying, and ostensibly only counting deaths above basecamp].

The ratio between those two statistics--while somewhat nonsensical because they're very unrelated--has in the past been close enough to 4:1 to at least understand the origin of the mis-correlation. A more sensible ratio would be the number of attempts vs the number of deaths, and that number has likely always been significantly less than 4:1 since the first documented attempts were made ~100 years ago, and certainly has been well below 4:1 for decades.

In the past two decades the summits and deaths numbers have significantly diverged, as popularity of the climb has risen. The Time article below has a pretty interesting data set; according to them there have been ~24k attempts, ~10k succesful summits, and ~300 deaths since Norgay drug Hillary up that hill. They don't include history before the 50's so there are some additional unsuccessful attempts (and deaths) that aren't accounted for, but not enough to really move the needle.

All that distilled into a soundbite: If you attempt to climb Everest, there's a ~1% chance you will die.

How Mount Everest's Deadly Season Compares to Past Years

Nothing to do at all with the topic or your spot on responses to the topic, but let me clarity the often mid advertised Everest statistic. It usually—as you’ve read—says something to the effect of “if you make it to the top, there’s a 25% [or whatever] chance you might not make it home". In reality this statement is the result of two decoupled concepts that are being emotionally conflated into an otherwise more visceral response. (Not unlike many in this thread. ;)). The first is the total number of summits, the second is the total number of deaths [regardless if the climber summited before dying, and ostensibly only counting deaths above basecamp].

The ratio between those two statistics--while somewhat nonsensical because they're very unrelated--has in the past been close enough to 4:1 to at least understand the origin of the mis-correlation. A more sensible ratio would be the number of attempts vs the number of deaths, and that number has likely always been significantly less than 4:1 since the first documented attempts were made ~100 years ago, and certainly has been well below 4:1 for decades.

In the past two decades the summits and deaths numbers have significantly diverged, as popularity of the climb has risen. The Time article below has a pretty interesting data set; according to them there have been ~24k attempts, ~10k succesful summits, and ~300 deaths since Norgay drug Hillary up that hill. They don't include history before the 50's so there are some additional unsuccessful attempts (and deaths) that aren't accounted for, but not enough to really move the needle.

All that distilled into a soundbite: If you attempt to climb Everest, there's a ~1% chance you will die.

How Mount Everest's Deadly Season Compares to Past Years

Thanks for clarifying that. I was going by what Jon Krakauer said in his book, Into Thin Air, where he states that a quarter of the people who reach the summit die on the way down. He also quotes an even more shocking statistic about fatalities on K2. I don't remember that one, but I think it was something like a third of the people who set foot on K2 die. I'm probably misremembering what he said, but at the time it was, like, you're nuts to attempt Everest, and you're nuts and stupid if you attempt K2. Not his words, just the impression he gives.

Your statistic, however, will include people who turn back far from the summit and never even reach the death zone. I'd be interested to know how many of the people who make it to the top die on the way down.

I love hiking in the mountains, but I like doing it in British Columbia where you reach alpine at six or seven thousand feet, where there's still so much oxygen you hardly notice the difference.

I was going by what Jon Krakauer said in his book, Into Thin Air....

Yeah, I read that when it came out--it caused quite a stir in the mountaineering community for apparent embellishments and even near-fictional accounts. I saw Jamling Tenzig Norgay speak in maybe '98 or 99 with I think Viesturs (but it could have been Breashears...) and neither of them were shy about pointing out stark differences from their experience on the mountain in '96 to what Krakauer wrote in the book.

Anyway, it would be interesting to see the actual passage from the book on the statistic. By my math, and including '96, the cumulative number of deaths was something like 134 and the cumulative number of summits was about 825. So even if the only people that ever died on Everest were people who had summited and then died on the way down, the statistic would be "16% don't make it back down", not 25%. (For the record, it would have been 25% in ~1991) Of course that's not actually how it works; the number in the mid-late 90's for summiters who died on the way down is probably at most a handful of percent.

Collecting data on the actual number of summiters who died on the way down is not easy. Wiki actually has a page that includes a general circumstance (fall, avalanche, etc.) and location on the mountain, but nothing on whether the climber had summited first. There are references for all of the climbers so the data is probably ultimately mineable, but I'm not about to do it. o_O Its also plausible my Google-Fu just isn't strong enough to input the right search criteria. :oops:

But I digress. Back to our regularly scheduled thread. :p

Reactions: daniel
It troubles me to see so many haters. In fact some of the reasons sound all the world like Tesla haters. Nobody needs that. It's just for show, etc...

But what really surprises me is that nobody has latched onto the fact that it doesn't seem to actually work. That whole video to show the process.... why not two more seconds to show it unlocking the door? To prove that it works? You don't need the bandage off for that.

The card has an antenna that's pretty long... And we all know that the distance at which the card works is REALLY short. So now lop the antenna off and put it behind the skin. I'm not sure that this is gonna work.

It troubles me to see so many haters. In fact some of the reasons sound all the world like Tesla haters. Nobody needs that. It's just for show, etc...

But what really surprises me is that nobody has latched onto the fact that it doesn't seem to actually work. That whole video to show the process.... why not two more seconds to show it unlocking the door? To prove that it works? You don't need the bandage off for that.

The card has an antenna that's pretty long... And we all know that the distance at which the card works is REALLY short. So now lop the antenna off and put it behind the skin. I'm not sure that this is gonna work.

Did she lop the antenna off, or did she just scrunch it up into the capsule? I presumed the latter. I also presumed she would have tested it before implanting it. But yes, she should have shown how she can open and start the car now.

Did she lop the antenna off, or did she just scrunch it up into the capsule? I presumed the latter. I also presumed she would have tested it before implanting it. But yes, she should have shown how she can open and start the car now.
I'm afraid that scrunching up an antenna has almost the same RX/TX effect as lopping it off. There's a compelling reason that the card was designed with the antenna around the edge. Perhaps she needs to go back in and pull that antenna around her arm or something. Position of the RF module doesn't matter.... only the position of the antenna.

>> Current generation RFID encryption, of which your credit cards, newer hotel keys, [Plug-n-Play]

I just wanna know what data is on my driver license scan strip (twilight zone theme playing . . .)
Also " " what is the size of this object that was implanted.
Also, come to think of it, I keep my ModelS about an hour away from home. Once I plumb forgot my key fob. Oy, that's 2 hours of my life I'll never get back. Kudos to this lady!!
--
You do know you can log in to the Tesla app, unlock your car, and start your car, all without the key fob?