Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 owner unlocks car with her arm after implanting RFID chip in it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's interesting to get the chip out and put it in another form factor, like putting it in my AppleWatch wristband.

Or the watch through can use an API over NFC, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, cellular etc to unlock the car?

Or am I completely missing something that screwing around with the chip will buy you a value proposition I am not thinking of?

Or the watch through can use an API over NFC, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, cellular etc to unlock the car?

Or am I completely missing something that screwing around with the chip will buy you a value proposition I am not thinking of?
The apps I use, Stats and EV Watch are both extremely slow to work, basically only for emergency use. Maybe, with time, they can improve, but it doesn't seem like it would be all that hard to put the RFID from a dissolved keycard into a watch wristband, like an activity band on the Jaguar.

Reactions: APotatoGod and GSP
...screwing around with the chip will buy you a value proposition I am not thinking of?

I think the end goal is hybrid. Machine and human will be fused together in the future.

It's been done for medical reasons but people want more than just for medical reasons.

As Amie DD explained, prior to this, she's already able to unlock her house door, her phone... with her implant in her hand.

Now, it can also be done for Model 3.

The current advantage is convenience: No house key, no card key needed or to be remembered.

There's no need to buy a key finder "Tile" to locate your keys.

A first step can be quite simple or ridiculous just like a first attempt to get human to fly.

However, with enough trials and errors, Elon Musk implantable Brain-Computer Interface (BCI) might not be too far fetched someday.

Do M3 owners actually leave the house without a key card and run the risk that their phone could break, be stolen or just misplaced? Once my car arrives I plan to use my phone but would always have a key card in my wallet.
I keep a key card in my wallet and I always take my wallet with me when I drive since that's where I keep my driver's license and insurance card.

Even when my phone works to unlock my car, there are times I mess around inside my car too long and it times out, so I just place my wallet on the console to allow it to start.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I keep a key card in my wallet and I always take my wallet with me when I drive since that's where I keep my driver's license and insurance card.

Even when my phone works to unlock my car, there are times I mess around inside my car too long and it times out, so I just place my wallet on the console to allow it to start.

Once it "starts" can you put the wallet back in your pocket? Or do you have to leave it on the center console?

Once it "starts" can you put the wallet back in your pocket? Or do you have to leave it on the center console?

No. Once the car starts from

1.) Phone recognition from Bluetooth
2.) Key card touching pillar, and then center console
3.) Unlock from App

You don’t have to do anything else unless you switch to park and exit the vehicle. Something like that but a smart phone in your pocket should be all you need for the 3.

I do carry the key card as a backup because I am a fan of redundancy but never needed it.

That would be really hard to keep on the center console while you drive. :)

It doesn't have to stay there. Lick the center console once and you're good to go until the next time you lock the car and need to start it again ;)

Do M3 owners actually leave the house without a key card and run the risk that their phone could break, be stolen or just misplaced? Once my car arrives I plan to use my phone but would always have a key card in my wallet.

You need to have the key card with you, just in case. Though in an emergency you can get a friend with a working phone to download the Tesla app, then you sign in with your password, then they can open and start your car for you. Assuming both the phone and the car have internet access. Don't forget to delete the app from their phone, or at least sign out, or they'll have a key to your car.

After a recommendation here on TMC I bought one of those pockets that stick to your phone. Now the key card is always with my phone. When the phone does not work, or if I just want to be absolutely sure the car locks when I leave it, I have the card.

My Vena iPhone case holds 3 cards. Driver’s license, one credit card and the keycard. I don’t carry a wallet or keys, just my phone. . My house door uses a keypad.

I also have an Xvida Qi charger connected to the back of the center display. The Vena case uses a magnetic closure, and it sticks to the Xvida, exactly where it charges.

Note that the average battery life for a heart pacemaker is also 6 to 7 years which then necessitates surgery for battery replacement. So keeping your car for 7 years and have surgery each time switching car sounds bad but not really if you compare that with pacemaker surgery.

Pace makers have batteries. RFID does not. RFID get the tiny amount of power it needs via radio wave right from the car's emitter/detector.

There's no need for any subsequent surgery - just authorize /deauthorize keys from the cars.

2) It really bothers me that no medical, no science communities were involved in this process. She had to rely on a non-medical person to perform surgery. University, science community should involve and at least keep track or study RFID implant effect on human.[/QUOTE]

There are copious studies of implants with various materials, including the biopolyner they probably used. The RFID part is completely passive most of the time... And has been studied more than you seem to think. (Also, vets are medical professionals, they simply don't specialize in human diseases. )

The woman in the video is young and has many years left to live. I predict that she will have many more gadgets implanted into her body as time goes on, and will have old and obsolete ones removed from time to time. She is happy with what she did, which is what really matters, and probably, given her attitude, will continue to enjoy the new implants she will get in the future. I also predict that implants of various kinds will become more common. I have intra-ocular lenses. I'm very happy with them.

Stupid. She could just as easily had it made into a finger ring. But some folk want publicity.

Oh, that's right! Then she could forget it after a shower, or lose it in a pool, or damage it at the gym, and it could accumulate wear damage, and she could have an obstruction on her finger she may not want... That's soooo much smarter than someone who wants it as an implant getting an implant. o_O

She explained that her motive is to learn what the problems are that make people say it can not be done.

She wants to understand the problems and find a way to solve it.

Remember, this is not the first RFID implant that she has.

She's already got one in her hand to pair with other devices fine.

No one cared about her first surgery for her first RFID because it was just for other devices (her house door, phone...) without the name Tesla on it!

It's Tesla's fault that she went through a second surgery because of its security system.

Anyone who told her it couldn’t be done didn’t understand RFID technology. She sounds like someone who understands it so I don’t buy that she did it to “learn” what the problems were. She knew it would work, hell she already has a working RFID implant.

As for the need for a second chip, I’d hardly call that Tesla’s “fault”.

Any RFID device used for security makes a reasonable attempt to enable encryption to prevent cloning. I suspect the RFID for her house door is one of the older pieces of tech that hackers have already defeated and thus was easily cloned.

Current generation RFID encryption, of which your credit cards, newer hotel keys, and Teslas utilize, are not so easily cloned. For good reason, of course.

Yes, all the time. Very worst case is you have to find someone that will let you install the Tesla app on their phone and you can start the car from the app.

I carry the card with me and have not used it in 6 months. It is coming out of my wallet soon (and as soon as I do I am sure I will kick myself for not having it but there are other options)

To see where all this new tech stuff could be going... (and you have a few hours to spare), watch the 5-6 part series on HBO called Years and Years. Character in it wants body tech. She has cell phone tech embedded in her hand so she does not need to hold a phone. Gets better too, or worse depending on your perspective. And its worth the sitdown to watch all of it.